Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakesurf board - 1 board for different weight people?

marroquin

Hi folks - I'm looking for a little advice on a wakesurf.  My wife wants to get into this.  I'd really like to only buy 1 board, rather than 2.  The problem is - I weight ~220 and my wife weighs ~150.  In folks' experience, what are the downsides of buying 1 board to fit both of us?  I suppose we could buy another one at a later time - I don't want to spend the $$$ now in case 1 or both of us decide to stick with wakeboarding/slaloming.  If I buy a wakesurf sized for her, I think I'd have a really tough time going w/o a rope.  If I buy one sized for me, is she going to be too light where she cannot maneuver it?

FYI, I have a 2005 iride with mid-boat ballast and a fat sack for the rear compartment

Thanks for the advice

1 hour ago, marroquin said:

If I buy a wakesurf sized for her, I think I'd have a really tough time going w/o a rope.  If I buy one sized for me, is she going to be too light where she cannot maneuver it?

Yes to both. 

Who os going to be the main rider? It sounds like she is the one that really wants to get started with surfing, so maybe it would be fair to get a smaller women’s board for her. Otherwise she would have to settle for a giant mans board when you might only occasionally ride. 

I would get the big board first, and have her learn on it.  Most newbies that I've taught struggle with getting up, and then struggle with pearling, and this should help with both of those.  My wife is the same size and doesn't do much when surfing, she mostly just gets into a zen mode and is perfectly happy just gliding along, putting her hand in the wake, feeling the breeze, etc.  So our Hyperlite Broadcast 5.4 is fine for her.  And, it's good for occasional guests too.  If you find she wants a different board after some sessions, then buy her the really cool one, and spend some $$ on it (more than the standard all purpose board).

I don't know that I have ever ridden a board that was properly sized for me.  If you are athletic enough to wakeboard I'd bet you could ride a surf board rated for 180lbs.  

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Michigan boarder said:

I would get the big board first, and have her learn on it.  Most newbies that I've taught struggle with getting up, and then struggle with pearling, and this should help with both of those.  My wife is the same size and doesn't do much when surfing, she mostly just gets into a zen mode and is perfectly happy just gliding along, putting her hand in the wake, feeling the breeze, etc.  So our Hyperlite Broadcast 5.4 is fine for her.  And, it's good for occasional guests too.  If you find she wants a different board after some sessions, then buy her the really cool one, and spend some $$ on it (more than the standard all purpose board).

Thanks.  I think my wife is the one who wants it more, but I can see myself getting more into it (as my knees start to feel the pain of getting older and playing sports, the low impact of surfing might appeal more to me than wakeboarding).  Good thought about her learning on a big board first.  I think she isn't going to be doing too many tricks....just cruising.

We started last year with a board that was sized for my wife and kids (up to 135lbs).  We spent all last summer on that one and now I'm thinking we should look for another one that will be better suited for someone my size (205lbs) and bigger. I had a few friends last year who are quite a bit bigger than me that weren't able to get up and I think a bigger board would help them out.

28 minutes ago, wakemitch said:

I often hear about how the girls and/or kids only stand on the board anyway so the board doesnt matter. But do you guys know what it is like to ride a board way to big for you? It’s very hard to maneuver quickly, especially when your feet are small and the board is super wide. No leverage. Plus you have to be on the breaks he whole time because the board is too fast and you don’t want to hit the boat. 

It’s crazy how fast my wife and female friends have progressed on a board sized for them. Especially first timers  

I am biased though because I’ve been fed up for years with the idea that women don’t/won’t ride hard. 

+1

I'd go smaller before bigger.  Especially since you already have board sport skills. You will outgrow the bigger board once you get the basics down. You can make your wave taller and shorter while you learn the basics and stretch it out as you get better at pumping.  

The bigger the board the more push it will have and trust me as a boat owner there is nothing more terrifying then seeing a newb screaming in at mach 10 twoards the back of my boat......because I am concerned about their safety...yes, their safety is what I am thinking about when I see that happening. 

220 doesn't mean a giant board. The right board can suit both of you. You will want to look at a better made board staying away from many. There are some good board in the 4'6" range that will fit you both.

Maneuvering a board is about skill not size.

Nick

I agree with @Michigan boarder . I am just starting out and I purchased a used broadcast 5'4 to learn on as well as my wife and so far it has been great!  I am 180 and a friend is 215 and the girls range between 100 to 120 and we all have been able to go rope less after a few try's.  I couldn't be happier with the purchase. Plus if/when you guys outgrow this board and buy one for each of you more suited to your size you won't have to share your board with friends as this can be your boat board.

Edited by riot138

Thanks for the tips.  One of my concerns is that I don't have a huge wake.  The iride doesn't throw a really big wake.  I do have a fat sack for the back compartment, but there aren't a bunch of places to throw extra ballast.  I am more advanced on the wakeboard than my wife is, so I am leaning toward finding a board that is set up just a little heavier than my wife's needs, but lighter than mine.  That way, with the smaller wake, she can ride that a little more easily and I can just work toward getting it down on a smaller-ish board.  If we really need a new one a few years down the road, we can get another one at that point

thanks again folks

You may want to look at a Slingshot Butter Bar. The smaller 52" model is rated for 100-250 lbs. I have one for my "boat board" and its a fun, versatile board to have in the rack. I am running it as a single fin setup and it will do about anything you want it to. I normally ride my 59" P5 Trident or my 55" P5 Hammerhead LTD because I like them better than the Slingshot but they are not near as versatile.  

Slingshot Butter Bar