Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2000 Response LX gauge issues

Hi-old topic-but would like additional thoughts on trouble shooting.  I've read all the threads and didn't come to any solid conclusion on the right way to go to fix my boat. My gauges in my Malibu Response LX have went wacky.  Oil pressure gauge needle is way below zero, water temp gauge similar.  Tach works, and speedo's seem to work.  Bilge pump doesn't work.

I've read this forum on the MDC issues.  Also a few threads on checking the "cannon" plug on the motor.  I also downloaded a document from one of the responses called "Troubleshooting guide for Medallion II Instruments".  Before I drop several hundred on a new MDC i'd like to confirm it is the MDC as I have a few other "observations":

>My starter is sometimes intermittent.  Solenoid or ignition?

>My boat is on a lift on a private dock.  Never worried about theft and my keys pretty much stay in the ignition.  (worried more about losing them-then theft).  The ignition may be corroded, it seems to be difficult sometimes to get the key to turn.  Could faulty ignition contacts cause all the symptoms I'm seeing?

>Does my boat have medallion II gauges?  I have not been able to confirm how to identify if I have medallion II gauges or not.  Ie; the trouble shooting guide I downloaded may be worthless to me?

Any other tips or thoughts?

BTW-bought this boat new 18 years ago.  Love it.  Used for slalom and barefoot.  Only has 447 hours as we are old and a couple of slalom runs and barefoot runs and it's back to the dock!!

You do have Medallion II gauges and the troubleshooting guide you have applies. If you have a multi-meter it's pretty easy to diagnose issues using that guide. First thing I would ask is do all the gauges buzz and reset with key on? If the temp and oil do not I would suspect the gauges are bad but check the resistance values on the 18 pin connector according to the guide to confirm. This will narrow your issue down to either the gauges or the sending units and wiring.

Regarding the ignition I would guess that's not your issue as you would probably see all gauges having the same issue along with other problems. If the gauges check out this could be a potential bad ground. My temp and oil pressure gauges would increase in value every time I turned on an accessory (blower, stereo). I ran an additional ground cable from the negative battery terminal to the grounding bar under the dash (metal bar where all the black wires connect) and it solved the issue.

Intermittent starter: Make sure all connections are tight and corrosion free including the starter relay (this is different than the solenoid). I had the same intermittent issue. The connections on the starter relay were corroded and after I cleaned and hit them with some sand paper I've not had a problem since.

Canon plug is apparently a problem area too and I've read that you can remove and re-seat it but from my personal experience that never helped my issues. 

Edited by drh

I'm not being critical, but you mention reading a lot and observing a lot, but you don't mention doing a lot to solve your problems.  I'm guessing that you simply have a bunch of crusty electrical connections that will require you to clean them up before you continue to troubleshoot.  Dive under the dash and find the main terminal block.  One by one, slightly loosen each screw, wiggle the wires, then tighten the screw.  When you are done with the terminal block, do the same thing for the ignition switch (because yes, bad connections at the switch can cause your problems).  Next, do the same thing under the hood for the starter, alternator, oil sender, and ground connections (at the back of the starboard engine head).  After that, go ahead and check the cannon plug.  Pull it, inspect it, *gently* spread the male contacts, and reassemble (with a small dab of grease on each contact). 

After you get all of the engine connections clean, grab a can of spray lube and hose the entire engine block with it.  That will help prevent rust and corrosion.  It won't hurt to also spray the terminal block under the dash.  I spray my engine several times a year since I boat mostly in salt water, but I'll compare my engine to a fresh water engine any day.

If you start swapping parts before you get the connections clean, you may or may not find the problem if the problem is a bad connection.  Get everything clean, and then ask for more help if the problem persists.

BTW, welcome to the crew!  Don't forget to post your barefoot videos for us to watch.

Regards,

- Just Gary

DRH-Thanks-sounds like a systematic approach to the problem.  All makes sense.  Not sure where the relay is for the starter-but I'm sure I can follow wires and figure it out.

Just Gary-I did everything you suggested last fall.  I especially focused on all the black/ground wires.  I pulled the guage cluster out from the front and cleaned up all the connectors.  (BTW-anyone know where I can get the little tiny T4 screws?  I rounded a couple-local screw supply has nothing close). 

I will pull the drivers seat out so I can get under the dash and clean up the grounding bar. 

Here's a video I made at start up this am: 

I do appreciate all of the suggestions.  Electrical van be vexing to troubleshoot!  But Yeah-I don't want to spend $500+ and not fix the problem!!

Scott

drh-thanks.  I'll run through the checks and see if the MDC checks out and the guage doesn't.  That guage has a messed up lens anyway.  I guess that would be the less expensive of the two to fix!

I'll let the forum know what I come up with!

• Like 2

Well I took a couple of steps forward-but maybe a big step backwards!  I followed all of the advice in the above posts.  and followed the advice in the medallion II troublshooting guide for the MDC.  I measured the voltages and there was 7 V DC coming off the pin of the MDC.  I removed the three screws that hold the MDC so that I could carefully measure the voltage. I don't think I shorted any pins-but when I put the MDC back up-sure enough one of the tubes for the speedometer came off.  I re-installed it-but now my speedometer doesn't work.  It indicates about 15 mph hour faster then actual speed.  when I switch to one it goes to zero.  Any thoughts on this? Is there any type of bleeding or anything else to re-install a pito tube back on? Speedometer worked before.  Or did I short the MDC?

Still went slalom skiing this AM!

7 minutes ago, BoomerangJ said:

Well I took a couple of steps forward-but maybe a big step backwards!  I followed all of the advice in the above posts.  and followed the advice in the medallion II troublshooting guide for the MDC.  I measured the voltages and there was 7 V DC coming off the pin of the MDC.  I removed the three screws that hold the MDC so that I could carefully measure the voltage. I don't think I shorted any pins-but when I put the MDC back up-sure enough one of the tubes for the speedometer came off.  I re-installed it-but now my speedometer doesn't work.  It indicates about 15 mph hour faster then actual speed.  when I switch to one it goes to zero.  Any thoughts on this? Is there any type of bleeding or anything else to re-install a pito tube back on? Speedometer worked before.  Or did I short the MDC?

Still went slalom skiing this AM!

I think you manually calibrate those speedos.  Is there a chance you have adjusted it over the years up to match the low flow of water, and in now doing all of this, you are getting a steady flow now?  Just guessing, but that is the first thing that comes to mind.

I agree with Jeff. If the tube just came off accidentally it must have not been on tight. Mine require quite a bit of force to get off. They need to be air tight seals to hold pressure. Your other tube may be clogged unless you frequently switch pickups and know it was working before.