Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Such a sad story

bbelt

Been in my low hour 2003 Malibu response now for 5 yrs.  My kids already consider themselves skiing elite just because they slalom and barefoot and in their view have "grown up skiing".  I picked up this boat for a great deal in the off season and we are all very attached to it.  Today after running laps back and forth at the one stretch of water left on the lake that is skiable into the afternoon I was getting ready for my second slalom run on my new radar when a jet skier came out from his lunch break.  We had been taking turns with another guy in a natique who was pulling a skier at the time.  The jet skier came dangerously close to his skier as he cut back and forth behind the skier jumping the boat wakes.  I accepted defeat and put my ski away and started motoring toward the exit of this little bay as our ski day was obviously over.  On the way out things got tight with 2 other boats and the jet skier turning circles at full speed in front and to our right.  To the left an oncoming  boat with skier in tow made a big u turn avoid the jet ski which locked me unexpectedly into a narrow channel with the jet skier still a good distance to my right.  As I watched the scenario unfold in slow motion the jet skier to our right came out of his turns and sets a course perpendicular to mine at full speed,  I made a hard left turn and braced for impact.  I thought he might have killed himself and had to check that my kids were all still in boat and unhurt.  No one was hurt but the side of the boat took a high speed hit.  The fractures extend up and over top side of the boat and radiate out a distance of about 4-5ft from the point of impact.  The hull did not appear to take on water on the 5 mile run back to marina but I don't think this if fixable.    So the boat of my children's youth is most likely done.  What to do now?

Can something like this be fixed?  If so who?  I live in an area where most people don't even know what a malibu response is and I have no dealer service within 400 miles.  How does gelcoat factor into deep fractures like this?

If my sssumption about the integrity of the hull is corrrect I am stuck buying a newer or new boat.  So with that in mind, I wonder what I might find from 2015 and up that would perform nearly as good as my response but give a little more room.  I know this is like asking which oil to put in my boat but the younger kids are getting bigger and the oldest will be returning within a few seasons with spouses and babies.  The more room question has been bouncing around my head even before this happened.  I love the wake on this boat and dont surf or  board at all.  Are there modern crossover versions of the malibu with diamond hull or has that all morphed into something different?

I been boating for 25 years and finally I get tagged by a jet ski. . .

Man I was really expecting to hear someone died based on the title of this thread.  Glad everyone is ok.  I'm assuming you have insurance?  Make a claim and get it fixed.  Your boat will be out of commission for a while given the damage and your travel needs.  

I got Photo of hull ID number and the kids face while he was still shell shocked.  Got contact info from  other boats that witnessed.  The father is already claiming kid has concussion and implying I should be the one concerned about lawsuit and yet made no attempt himself to contact local ranger or sheriff.   I made official report  to local law enforcement.  The kid went the opposite direction and was not present for the incident report, boat inspection and an hour worth of pictures of damage.  Probably will go to insurance or  law suit but I don't know much about that stuff.   I am not going to sit by for several boating seasons waiting for finacial restitution while my kids miss their last few y on the years on the lake.

Trying to be grateful none of mine were injured and this is not a fatality investigation.

Edited by bbelt

Glad all is ok. That makes me mad. Jet skier should be the yeld vessel. You countered to avoid collision as skier headed toward you so he is at fault. Get estimates from any local fiberglass experts in your area. Might have to pony out for repairs or another boat while dealing with a lawsuit. I would persue lawsuit. I dont do that kind of thing but  if it were me, jet skier was clearly at fault and his family should own up to their responsibilities. He at least owes for a repair or a portion of the value for your scrapped boat. 

if you get it fixed, I hope you’ll get insurance. This just reminded me to make sure I have the new boat added to my umbrella policy before I leave for vacation. 

If his insurance doesn't cover the repair, yours should.  If he can ride away, the damage is probably repairable, but a picture speaks a 1000 words, so post a few up.

Glad to hear eveyone is ok! No DNR or local sheriff involvement or phone call? I would still maybe try if u have thier info. Generally speaking jetskies seem to be at fault ...just a tad more than boats for the most part.. 

Had to stop suddenly twice this weekend as jet skies cut in front of me oblivious to their surroundings. Being the 4th no tubing or skiing for our kids just too many idiots letting kids take out their jet skies with no boating knowledge. 

Insurance claim and give them the jet skis numbers. Going to be he said she said without DNR or sheriff report is my guess.. terrible.. I feeel for ya just glad everyone is ok!

• Like 1

One of my friends had this exact thing happen on his Yamaha 210. Totaled jet ski, 2 leg compound fractures to the lake lice driver and a hole big enough to pass through in the side of his boat. Until the day that he sold it, you could not tell where the repair had been done and he never had any mechanical issues with it. YRMV

This can certainly be fixed. To put your mind at ease, look on YOUTUBE at some of the repairs that have been done. They patch holes you could walk thru. Just last week i had to make a drastic direction change to avoid getting smashed from behind by LAKE LICE. he was so close to my swim platform i could have(and should have) pushed him off the JETSKI !!! I had a buddy a few years back on LAKE MILTON  have an idiot hit him in his Mastercraft and not only punched a hole in the side, but actually destroyed the motor box and sent them both to the hospital. They fixed the boat and still use it today. Just have to find someone capable of doing the work. 

@bbelt:  As noted, a fiberglass hull can be repaired.  Hopefully you can sort out the whole at fault / repair restitution issues to your satisfaction.  I suggest you check the 'ski-it-again' website for a good listing of used tournament ski boat availability, even to just set a value on your boat or comparable ones.  Just my personal opinion given the kids choice of activities (slalom / barefoot), don't change hulls if you change boats, very difficult to impossible to find a better combo (slalom/barefooting) boat to that SV23 hull on the Response, and don't go to a post '07 if footing is a primary pastime.

http://ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php 

:plus1: It is moor then likely it can be fixed!  The only thing will be the coast?  If you do look for more space and still looking for the best ski wake if you could find A 99 / 04 Sunsetter LXI its the best bigger DD boat you could find. its 21.6' but has an outstanding ski wake.  I would go after the jet ski owner and his insurance if they have it. I would also try to get a written statement from the other ski boat occupants as soon as you could! 

• Like 1

If it was reported did the police/ Sheriff go talk with the driver of the ski?  Get A report from them. Did the ski operator go to the hospital?  Any tox report? Don't think you could get it but the sheriff should be able to.

Frustrating scenario, but like all others have said yes it can be fixed.  When I was 16 I was driving around in our old Steury, splashing another boat (Mark Twain) with my buddy in it.  We were driving them like waverunners (two teenage idiots).  Well we eventually miscalculated each other and I t-boned him, and put a hole in the side with cracks down past the water line.  They got it fixed, and you could never tell, until the day he sold it.

If you can afford to do it, I'd try to quickly pick up another Response, any color, any year, as long as it is mechanically sound and a decent price, just something to use to finish up 2018.  Then sell it next year, even if it's for a small loss.  Otherwise your season is over.  That way you can relax while your regular boat is getting fixed.  Maybe even sell them both and make the upgrade in the spring.

I was in Israel recently on the Sea of Galilee which is Malibu Heaven.  If there is 400 boats on the water, 300 of them were Malibu.  There is a systemic issue with Jet Skis over there especially with the lack of laws and law enforcement on the water.  People will literally jump the surf and wakeboard wakes right on top of the riders.  There was two accidents the day I was on the water, one where a jet skier was killed by smacking his head into the vessel he was chasing and another where the jet skier had collided with a father/daughter while they were surfing.  The father/daughter were OK, however nobody was able to hold the jet ski operator responsible as he took off without even trying to see the status of who he hit.

I'm glad that you and yours are safe and healthy.  I hear that the new Response models are rippers though I'm not a skier so I couldn't give you an honest opinion.  I did hear that one of Malibu's female riders set a new world record right off the bat though with one of the new models.

That is one scary story.  I have had close calls but never been hit.  So glad everyone is OK.  From  your story this clearly sounds like a hit and run if the kid drove off from the scene of an accident.  The collateral damage to the jet ski rider is his own fault.  He was not in control of his vessel.  You may want to look at retaining a lawyer to go after them for damages.  Sounds like the father is not going to help with damages as he believes it is a no fault accident.  Which it is not.  

Personally I hate "smokers"  (reference to the movie Waterworld) that drive recklessly.  This gives all boaters a bad rap.  My alert level always goes up when Jet Skiers are around.  You did the right actions in this case.  Good luck getting your boat fixed.  

Edited by ORMailbuboater
  • Like 2

Thanks for all the responses.  Sounds like glass guys can do quite a bit.  Guess I will start there and wait for law enforcement to submit final report and get an attorney.  The duke boys always kept on driving the general lee after those bridge jumps right?

Any suggestions for fiberglass repair in Utah, Phoenix, or Denver?   Is this something the malibu dealer can perform onsite or am I just going through the phone book in these larger cities to find my guy?

Smokers, I like that one.  Except of course as it relates to 2 stroke dirt bikes . . . gotta have something to do during winter months.

When I did my shopping initially for the boat I had several favorite  quality websites that listed used malibus across the country.  Cant remember any of them so many years later.  Spent countless hours searching for the right one.  Suggestions?

4 minutes ago, bbelt said:

Thanks for all the responses.  Sounds like glass guys can do quite a bit.  Guess I will start there and wait for law enforcement to submit final report and get an attorney.  The duke boys always kept on driving the general lee after those bridge jumps right?

Any suggestions for fiberglass repair in Utah, Phoenix, or Denver?   Is this something the malibu dealer can perform onsite or am I just going through the phone book in these larger cities to find my guy?

Smokers, I like that one.  Except of course as it relates to 2 stroke dirt bikes . . . gotta have something to do during winter months.

Ask your malibu dealer for a recommendation.  Typically they wont do glass/gel in house but will have a list of folks to use in the area. 

Phoenix '96 Response Lx for $12.5 https://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/boa/d/1996-malibu-response-lx/6626924897.html

Denver '00 Response Lx for $13.5 https://denver.craigslist.org/boa/d/2000-malibu-response-lx/6618683448.html

Parker '99 Response (purple...) for $11.5 https://denver.craigslist.org/boa/d/1999-malibu-response/6588092150.html

A good one is Ski-It-Again, tons of ski tugs on that site.

It's an '03 with low hours. Get at least one quote to repair, two would be better.  Make sure the jet skier understands your expectations - that the repair bill is all his. After the boat is repaired, get insurance. 

Was the "kid" on the jet ski >18 years old?  

• Like 2

I don't know how that always seems to happen.  About 15 years ago something similar to that happened to my uncle too.  He was parked at the time and a jet ski t-boned him at near WOT.  Hate those things.

Very sad about your Response!  The rider's dad sounds like a real piece of work.  Hope you had a report filed and that the police or DNR took statements from witnesses.  Good luck getting that rectified.

'01-'04 Sunsetter LXI will give you wakes just like your Response but with way more room for people.  Only issue with those boats is they're LONG and often don't fit garages as well as your RLX.  '03-'06Response LXi is also a solid option.  Less roomy than the Sunsetter, more roomy than your current boat.  One other boat to consider is the Response FXi.  It's short, but wide and deep.  It won't barefoot as well as your Response LX but will fit in a tight garage.

Post pics of the boat!

Edited by UWSkier