Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help me dial in my 2015 24MXZ wave

lakefamily

We will try slowing down for surfing and moving people around.  Will also make sure water is spilling out before we go.  This is all new so its a lot to mess with when you are used to just hopping the water and slalom skiing. the surfing is super fun and worth the work.  Unfortunately work gets in the way of fun so we wont be able to try these adjustments this weekend. 

I like the info on speeding up the boat to tweak the wakeboard wake.  Thanks again. 

ahopkins22LSV

You can also just open the rear hatches to see if the bags are full. 

Mate you using a surf preset? If yes, I’d suggest trying this: 

1) Just hit fill all on the main screen and let everything run until they are spewing water out. Ignore the percentages on the screen. 

2) set the wedge and 2-3 clicks from ramp

3) I’d leave the speed at 10.6-10.8

4) select surf side 

5) surf! :) 

6) add more wedge if needed and move people around if needed.

I say this because the presets are meh at best. 

Malibu22VLX_2015_DashMain.thumb.jpg.93bcd32a22b30c38140487b10a836e24.jpg

Edited by ahopkinsTXi
  • Like 2

I have a friend that just purchased a '13 24MXZ. He couldn't get a wave large enough to surf ropeless. He asked me to help last weekend. Turns out the locker bags he had were the old style 750 rectangle shaped bags, not the inverted "T" shaped MXZ bags and they wouldn't fill enough. I went out with him and put a 650lb bag in the walkway since he uses his bow for kids to ride in. He went ropeless and said it was the most push and longest wave he has had on that boat. I told him if he would get the correct bags for the lockers he could sink the rear a bit more and make a taller wave. He was also using a Hyperlite board that is very slow. He was really working the board to slash the wave. 

• Like 2
46 minutes ago, 23LSVOwner said:

Should probably change the title to Help me dial in my 2015 24MXZ wave.

Dont worry about it.  Everyone on here knows what that boats capable of. 

Just now, 05hammerhead said:

Dont worry about it.  Everyone on here knows what that boats capable of. 

I'm thinking about the newbies who come on and take a look without bothering to really read.

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, 23LSVOwner said:

I'm thinking about the newbies who come on and take a look without bothering to really read.

Agreed. This isn’t the Facebook group! We can’t let bad titles and info spread like wildfire!!!! Hahaha

I apologize for coming across like that.  Yes, it should be renamed.  We had unrealistic expectations regarding the current setup I think.  It seems like with a little more knowledge and some tweaking that we should have a killer wave.  That boat is really awesome though and once we get it dialed in it should be pretty incredible.  we were partially thinking we had bought the wrong boat but it sounds like we have the right boat but we just need to make a few adjustments.  I think some rider adjustments are part of the equation also. Im so glad people with some experience chimed in. 

2 minutes ago, lakefamily said:

I apologize for coming across like that.  Yes, it should be renamed.  We had unrealistic expectations regarding the current setup I think.  It seems like with a little more knowledge and some tweaking that we should have a killer wave.  That boat is really awesome though and once we get it dialed in it should be pretty incredible.  we were partially thinking we had bought the wrong boat but it sounds like we have the right boat but we just need to make a few adjustments.  I think some rider adjustments are part of the equation also. Im so glad people with some experience chimed in. 

Dialing in a wave can be tricky if you are new to surfing.  Find someone who already knows how to surf and invite them out.  You will learn a lot more than just how to dial in your wave. 

• Like 2

@lakefamily you absolutely can get a decent wave out of that hull.  It just takes a bit more weight.  You need roughly 500 pounds in the bow.  Then as much as you can get in back lockers.  Set wedge between 3 and 5 clicks and your golden!  

Only downside is the more weight and wedge you use, the more fuel you will burn.   I used to avg roughly 12GPH in my 24MXZ's.   So if you load it fully only plan on 6ish hours on a tank of fuel. 

5 hours ago, DarkSide said:

@lakefamily you absolutely can get a decent wave out of that hull.  It just takes a bit more weight.  You need roughly 500 pounds in the bow.  Then as much as you can get in back lockers.  Set wedge between 3 and 5 clicks and your golden!  

Only downside is the more weight and wedge you use, the more fuel you will burn.   I used to avg roughly 12GPH in my 24MXZ's.   So if you load it fully only plan on 6ish hours on a tank of fuel. 

But you were FULLY sacked out. Like maxed out. I don't think the OP needs to get all darkside just yet. You are a 1%'er my friend. 

• Like 2

I didn't see it mentioned so I will bring it up but what board are you using?  There are a lot of beginner/starter boards that the wakeboard companies sell that are slow and total dogs but people buy them because of the price.  I have been surfing for 10+ years and there are some boards that I cannot ride even when the wave is dialed in. If you haven't done so invest in a good quality "wakesurf" board.

Edited by Chappy
  • Like 2
8 hours ago, vanamp said:

Dialing in a wave can be tricky if you are new to surfing.  Find someone who already knows how to surf and invite them out.  You will learn a lot more than just how to dial in your wave. 

Solid advice right there.

• 2 weeks later...

We finally got to the lake last week.  We took the advice of the Malibu crew and got an incredible wake.  We found that 10.8mph was perfect.  We adjusted the amount of fill in the bow and ended up adding a separate fatsac on the left side since most surf on the left and the wave was ridiculously good.......and then the unthinkable happened.  I pulled up a surfer and when we hit about 9.5mph (not even to cruising altitude yet) the driveshaft had a fatigue fracture.  I cannot make this up.  The shaft broke and we lost all power.  We had to get our jetski and tow ourselves in to the dock.  The seal underneath, of course, broke loose and the poor bilge pump was working overtime.  We managed to get the dead boat on a trailer and hauled it to the mechanic.  Absolutely devastating. So this now incredible boat is out of service for who knows how long.  It makes me sick to think about it. 

3 hours ago, lakefamily said:

We finally got to the lake last week.  We took the advice of the Malibu crew and got an incredible wake.  We found that 10.8mph was perfect.  We adjusted the amount of fill in the bow and ended up adding a separate fatsac on the left side since most surf on the left and the wave was ridiculously good.......and then the unthinkable happened.  I pulled up a surfer and when we hit about 9.5mph (not even to cruising altitude yet) the driveshaft had a fatigue fracture.  I cannot make this up.  The shaft broke and we lost all power.  We had to get our jetski and tow ourselves in to the dock.  The seal underneath, of course, broke loose and the poor bilge pump was working overtime.  We managed to get the dead boat on a trailer and hauled it to the mechanic.  Absolutely devastating. So this now incredible boat is out of service for who knows how long.  It makes me sick to think about it. 

The seal did not break loose, drive shaft was no longer in in the seal.. happened to me as well... I think in 2015 was the time frame when some prop shafts had manufacturing faults in them (hairline cracks).. This is not the fault of Malibu as it affected many boats across the manufacturing spectrum... And in my case it was a replacement shaft in 2015 that failed after a year of use (broke inside coupler).. Worst case scenario would be the Nautique failure and you lose your $1,000.00 prop as well.. 

It does ruin a day when this happens.. Don't know your case but you should be back up by next weekend.. not a complicated nor time consuming fix as long as shaft is available

It makes me feel better that is was a "system" wide failure in 2015 and not the fault of Malibu.  There was a shaft available but apparently some bolts(?) were loose in the V drive and it has to be repaired or the new shaft will do the same thing.  Im not a mechanic so I always feel like somehow we are being taken advantage of because I have no way to cross check that what they say is true.  We are at the mercy of the repair shop, although they did come highly recommended.  He said it would be about 1-2 weeks but most likely closer to just 1 week.  Our prop got one small ding in it but we didnt lose it thankfully. 

• 1 year later...

Old guy with a. New to me 2015 24 MXZ bought with 140 hrs has the LS3 I skied when younger and surfed gulf coast mush for years have 6 grand kids from 4-10 want to introduce them to water sports have the 950 pnp  bags in back. What is the hard tank capacity ?? Set up for kids to learn? Can you teach a 66 year old guy to wake surf ??

It sounds like your boat is alreaady setup, it's a great surf boat. You just need to get some wake surfboards, a surf rope and a little patience. When the weather starts getting a warmer, you should be able to find a member here or a fellow surfer on the lake to jump in your boat with you and get few pointers. And yes, a 66 Year Old can surf!

• Like 3