Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help me dial in my 2015 24MXZ wave

lakefamily

We just purchased a 2015 24MXZ to primarily wake surf but also wanted to wakeboard some too. We were disappointed with the wave that the stock components provided. We really want to avoid adding extra ballasts etc so we thought with the surf gate system, power wedge and all the stock ballasts that we would be able to avoid it. The wave is long, but not steep and the sweet spot is really small. We have called and spoken with the dealer and spoken with friends and tweaked all sorts of settings. We got a decent wave with all ballasts at 100% and running at 10.6 MPH. Any suggestions?

We then tried to wakeboard and the wave is abysmal. Is there a boat out there that does both surfing and wakeboarding well?  It seems crazy to think that you cant find a boat for a better price that can perform reasonably well. HELP!!!! All suggestions appreciated. :) 

We bought it used so Im not sure if its a Wavemaker ballast but we have the hard tanks and the soft bags above them.  We fill the hard tanks to 100% then watch and fill the soft bags and make sure the air is removed. 

4 minutes ago, lakefamily said:

what are your recommendations?  We are willing to try anything.  Thanks so much

If you truly have the PnP system in and all the tanks/bags are full , then i'd look at your surfgate and wedge settings. Other people can chime in about what settings you should be running. My boat doesn't have either and when i surf behind newer wakesetters, i let the owners set that up. Can you post a picture of your wave next time you go out?

The other thing is it may be rider error. I have no idea what your skill level is or what board you're riding, but those 2 things make a huge difference. I'd recommend using the search function to find threads that talk about proper form and what type of boards you should be using if needed.

Is it helpful to fill the PNP on the side you are surfing more than the opposite side?

We will adjust the surfgate and the wedge.  We rode on a 2018 23LSV and the wave was incredible in comparison.  Im wondering if its the newer technology or the shape of the hull.  

We are intermediate surfers but rider error is always a reasonable consideration.  We got new boards which did help some.

ahopkins22LSV
5 hours ago, lakefamily said:

Is it helpful to fill the PNP on the side you are surfing more than the opposite side?

We will adjust the surfgate and the wedge.  We rode on a 2018 23LSV and the wave was incredible in comparison.  Im wondering if its the newer technology or the shape of the hull.  

We are intermediate surfers but rider error is always a reasonable consideration.  We got new boards which did help some.

No. With surf gate you want the weight equal. Maybe 85/100 to the port side of you are surfing regular. 

Surf gate is either surf left or surf right, there is no adjustment. 

Wedge settings will be most mellow in ramp, for a longer wave and the wave will get shorter as you adjust it up. 

So what is your exact setup? What size plug n play bags? It soulds as if you don’t have plug n play bags and you won’t get a good wake for surfing or wake boarding without them. These I guess are “extra ballast” but they are plumbed in to your hard tanks so you fill and empty them with a push of a button at the screen just like everything else. Or do you not have them yet? What speed? What wedge? And what side are you surfing? 

The 24 mxz is a massive boat with a lot of buoyancy, it’s going to take weight to sink it to produce a wave. But with the proper setup it will produce a very awesome wake and wave. 

I’d bet a good amount of money that the 2018 23 LSV you rode had plug n play. 

6 hours ago, lakefamily said:

Where are you located?

Aha! They are extra ballasts that are filled with the push of a button not the PNP.  I cant remember the wedge setting. We tweaked it up and down and in between and I cant remember. Everyone surfs left except me. Kind of a shame because the wave on the right is sick with minimal adjustment.  I will look into getting the PNP system before we head out again. Ill plan on trying 85/100 as well. Really appreciate the feedback. Yeah that boat is a beast in terms of size and buoyancy. 

Next question is how do we set it up for a good waleboard wake? It was not good. We also have a Mastercraft 197 because we are all slalom skiers and we like wakeboarding on that boat a little better. Clearly we dont know how to maximize this MXZ. Thanks in advance for the info from real experience.

The wakeboard wake on that boat is a beast. Weight it evenly, fill her up and dig that wedge in (50% or better). I don't think extra ballast is even needed if you like wakeboarding behind the 197 better. That's just a crazy statement for me to comprehend. If you want it bigger, add weight. As for surfing, you gotta play with it a bit. You have to figure out what you like. I tend to like a little list on a surfgate wave so more like 50/100 to ahops 85/100. I will admit, i don't have much experience with a 24MXZ tho. I do know that they take a LOT of weight tho. 

I’ve got a 247 lsv. And I know when i first bought it, my daughter which was 10 couldn’t even surf behind it. It takes a lot of weight to get a wave out of a bigger boat. Add 1100’s in the rear and throw a 750 up front. It’ll make a load of difference. 

ahopkins22LSV
6 hours ago, lakefamily said:

Aha! They are extra ballasts that are filled with the push of a button not the PNP.  I cant remember the wedge setting. We tweaked it up and down and in between and I cant remember. Everyone surfs left except me. Kind of a shame because the wave on the right is sick with minimal adjustment.  I will look into getting the PNP system before we head out again. Ill plan on trying 85/100 as well. Really appreciate the feedback. Yeah that boat is a beast in terms of size and buoyancy. 

Next question is how do we set it up for a good waleboard wake? It was not good. We also have a Mastercraft 197 because we are all slalom skiers and we like wakeboarding on that boat a little better. Clearly we dont know how to maximize this MXZ. Thanks in advance for the info from real experience.

Is this a yes or no to having plug n play bags in the rear lockers?

We dont have the PNP we only have the extra ballasts. So it sounds like the fix is going to be extra weight. Its just a bigger boat than we give it credit for. 

I think the wakeboard wave was big but didnt have a crisp peak for getting air. Cant remember where we set the wedge. The wakeboarding session was after a few hours of frustration messing with the surf wave. Think we were kind of fried at that point. 

Really appreciate the input. Maybe we like the wake on the Mastercraft 197 because we just love everything about that boat. Raised our kids on it.....

I'm beyond confused.  You have extra ballast bags in the rear that are filled after the stock tanks fill, but you don't have PnP?  Sure sounds like you have it to me.  And that boat with stock ballast and min wedge throws a wake 100x better than a Mastercraft 197.  I wakeboard and surf on a friends 22 MXZ with stock ballast and no PnP just an extra sac up front if we lack people and the wakeboard and surf wake is great.  My only suggestion is add more bow weight if you have the back that loaded.

Pics would really help as well as what youre looking for. A crisp clean lip wakeboarding could be as easy as moving people around in the boat.  Keep in mind that an MXZ is going to need to go a fair bit faster than a 197 to clean up.  Think 20ish before itll look nice. Start with a 65' line and go faster until the wave cleans up about a foot after the handle.  You shouldnt need wedge or really any ballast at all if youve been boarding behind a 197.  Add it as you feel comfortable with the wake and want more height.  The wake is also going to be much wider than you are used to so keep that in mind.  Speeding up with narrow it as will shortening the line, but I wouldnt go much shorter than 65'.  

As for surfing.  That boats a beast and should throw a monster wake.  The more you weight it the better itll get.  Tough to compare against the 18 LSV, but should be rideable.  PNP is simply how it connects to the boat. 2 hoses, one on the bottom one on the top.  Likely if you have additional bags in the boat they are plumbed into the PNP system. See photo for what the ballast is with PNP.   When you say ballast with regards to newer boats, most will assume its PNP.   Post some pics and well help you diagnose whats wrong.  I used to ride a 22 MXZ a lot and it loved about 1100lbs in each back corner wedge down and 10.5 MPH.  Tons of push but not a lot of length, good for learning.  Then as I got better we added more bow weight and sped up the boat.

20130907_184802_zps14ba20d1.jpg

• Like 1

Another member, @ahopkinsTXicorrected me and said that we must have extra ballasts that are plumbed to our hard tanks not a PNP system. After looking at the PNP system it seems that our setup is very similar.  Im the one that is confused considering we have the stock ballasts in the bow, center and back and also these extra soft sacks on top and cant seem to get a steep enough wave.  It does seem incomprehensible.  We were thinking we should have gone with the LSV style hull instead.  We took a ride in a 2018 LSV and the wave was much better.  They filled all their stock ballasts and then had an extra bag in the side compartment on the side we were surfing that they used a tube to fill up and they plugged it in.

We will try adding more bow weight.  The next time we go we will have a few extra guys with us so that may make the difference and we can move them around the boat to tweak the wave. 

I think you have plug and play bags there - make sure you don’t stop filling them when the gauge says 100% full but wait until water starts to spit out of the drains for each location.  I know my LSV will read 100% when the stock tanks are full but it will still take a while to fill the extra sacs.  I fill all my ballast - rear, center, and bow - completely and we are now getting a great wake for surfing without even really using the wedge.  We settled at 9.6 mph and it got a lot better when I made sure we’re in deeper water.