Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Right Side Brake Locking Up

AaaRr

Hoping you guys can help me out as I am not able to find the issue. 

I have a 2003 Xtreme Trailer UFP A-60 tandem with disc brakes. When coming to a stop the right side locks up. I tested both sides and they are both braking. The left side seems to brake more evenly the right side seems to brake very softly or fully locking up.

There are no kinks in the lines that I can find. The brake pads are in good shape. One thing to note is the trailer mostly sat in its 15 years and I just acquired it and use the trailer more. Before the boat was in a dry dock. 

Any suggestions on what I should check or look into replacing? 

Thanks for the suggestions. The release at the coupler works as far as I can tell. I can engage and disengage it and both sides brake. The problem is one side brakes softly then locks up completely. Any suggestion on what I should be looking for at the coupler? 

IME, with the issues you describe on the one side, it sounds like the brakes on that side are working normally until enough force is applied to the brake cylinder to reach the bad spot on the cylinder and then it locks up at that point. An undamaged cylinder would allow the brakes to be released once pressure is taken off of the master cylinder in the tongue, but in this case the rust keeps the cylinder from retracting and locks it up. Check the rubber boot on the offensive cylinder and if it is missing or cut, then inside of the boot is most likely the problem.

I had that issue. The calipers that weren't locking up were failing and not coming out far enough to do much. The remaining brake fluid would jack open the good caliper and lock it up.