Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bow Light constant voltage

Ryan1776

I hope everyone had fantastic 4th!!

My bow light wasn't working, 2010 23LSV so I took the fixture off the boat and metered the terminals.... 11.49v all the time?!?!! When I turn on the NAV light button, 12.45 (engine off) Why is there power there at all times? 

There isn't some "day time running light" option I don't know about, is there?  :lol:

Furthermore, I can't get that center screw loose to replace the bulb? Normal? 

Edited by Ryan1776

The 11.49v sounds like stray current from somewhere. When you turn on the NAV lights via the MUX switch the power will go to the light, but the light won't turn on until you flip it over. Inside of the light assembly there is a BB switch that opens the circuit once you flip it over. That way the light will not be turned on when it is not flipped up/out of sight. That light is the most dangerous thing on the boat! God forbid you straddle it or touch it after it being on for more than 1 minute! :cry:Mine finally died from corrosion last year. It was about a $100.00 fix off of Amazon. I didn't even bother calling the dealer about it. I did have to splice the 2 old connectors to the ends of the new assembly. The new assembly (same manufacturer and hole pattern) came with the OEM light, rubber gasket and plastic internal cover for the electrical parts and pieces. The bulb is some crazy glass unit with pointed ends. I would dearly love to find a direct replacement in an LED if anyone knows where to find one?

Edited by wdr
46 minutes ago, wdr said:

The 11.49v sounds like stray current from somewhere. When you turn on the NAV lights via the MUX switch the power will go to the light, but the light won't turn on until you flip it over. Inside of the light assembly there is a BB switch that opens the circuit once you flip it over. That way the light will not be turned on when it is not flipped up/out of sight.

Had no idea it did that. 
And yeah, I have no idea why it's getting power. I can hear something bouncing around in the housing, but I can't get that screw to back off. >(

The bouncy stuff is most likely broken bulb pieces. The main light assembly is some cheapo pot metal from China so the top screw has most likely been sacrificed to the corrosion gods and isn't going to come out short of breaking the head off. You don't have much to loose at this point except your ability to be out after sunset, so you might as well commit. :)

3 hours ago, wdr said:

The bouncy stuff is most likely broken bulb pieces. The main light assembly is some cheapo pot metal from China so the top screw has most likely been sacrificed to the corrosion gods and isn't going to come out short of breaking the head off. You don't have much to loose at this point except your ability to be out after sunset, so you might as well commit. :)

:lol:

I can hear a relay in the housing? Is that part of the little bb contact thing? 

I'll probably drill out the screw and see if I can't take care of it that way. 

Yes to the contact part. Inside the housing on the underside side of the bulb holder there is a couple of electrical components which I am guessing are part of the flip switch. If you pull it apart and it looks sketchy the light is probably toast.  Mine was a no brainer “it ain’t going to work” bad. If you replace the bulb it may or may not work. If not you know your next step. Good luck. Bill

13 hours ago, wdr said:

Yes to the contact part. Inside the housing on the underside side of the bulb holder there is a couple of electrical components which I am guessing are part of the flip switch. If you pull it apart and it looks sketchy the light is probably toast.

Alright. Got the cap off. Had to drill it. So tap for new screw will be required. 

But bulb was fine. Cleaned all contacts, flip switch works. And I think that BB controls a relay, not necessarily the actual current for the light, because as you said, it gets hot. Pulls about 0.5a. 

Looks like this should work. Same length. I metered the "pocket" where the base of the bulb sits, pretty much as long as it touches anything there, it'll make contact. 

https://www.amazon.com/ZHOL®-SUPER-BRIGHT-Vanity-Mirror/dp/B0061TU2JS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1530883498&sr=8-2&keywords=fuse+style+led+bulb&dpID=51EArXFtSWL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Edited by Ryan1776
1 hour ago, wdr said:

Let us know how that bulb works. It will definitely be my next upgrade if it is compatable!

Will be here Sunday I'll report out. 

On 7/6/2018 at 11:00 AM, wdr said:

Let us know how that bulb works. It will definitely be my next upgrade if it is compatable!

Ok so they work, but are too long. 

However! Check this out....
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017R3PQHY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3TK8K4SPZHVO4&psc=1
This is it. 31mm. Festoon style bulb. LED. 
I thought I might order these just to see. But probably won't need them.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015X6MWQU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A1TF0WKG5BQMBR&psc=1

Also
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P2D3W00/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Edited by Ryan1776

I like the price of the Festoon, but the Phillips looks to be a better quality bulb. I would probably go the Phillips route. Will let you know what I find out. I need to measure the existing bulb to confirm the length.

6 minutes ago, wdr said:

I like the price of the Festoon, but the Phillips looks to be a better quality bulb. I would probably go the Phillips route. Will let you know what I find out. I need to measure the existing bulb to confirm the length

Festoon is the style. 
I can't argue about the Phillips, looks like a quality piece. I bought the 6 pack for 6$ They didn't have the daylight ones only the "warm white" which I'm not sure how that will work on the bow. But we'll see. 
Mine is 30.24mm. 

6 minutes ago, Ryan1776 said:

Festoon is the style. 
I can't argue about the Phillips, looks like a quality piece. I bought the 6 pack for 6$ They didn't have the daylight ones only the "warm white" which I'm not sure how that will work on the bow. But we'll see. 
Mine is 30.24mm. 

I am seeing 180 lumens for the Everbright (center link), 40 lumens for the Phillips (bottom) and 100 lumens for the Bonlux top. Looks like I will go with the Everbright if she will fit.

10 minutes ago, wdr said:

I am seeing 180 lumens for the Everbright (center link), 40 lumens for the Phillips (bottom) and 100 lumens for the Bonlux top. Looks like I will go with the Everbright if she will fit.

I really liked the 360° layout on that one as well. Only reason I didn't order that one....yet, is because it's not sealed, but that could be irrelevant. 
If you get those, let me know. 

Edited by Ryan1776
6 hours ago, Ryan1776 said:

Festoon is the style. 
Mine is 30.24mm. 

I think warm white for the NAV light will be preferable.  The incandescent bulb you are replacing is warm white, so you will be preserving the look of the red and green filter glass compared to the OEM bulb.  Bright white may change the red and green more than you think.  Someone on here mentioned this also (perhaps in another thread).  I'll be curious whether these lights are as bright as the OEM incandescent bulb.  Please let us know.

Thanks

3 minutes ago, Cory said:

I think warm white for the NAV light will be preferable.  The incandescent bulb you are replacing is warm white, so you will be preserving the look of the red and green filter glass compared to the OEM bulb.  Bright white may change the red and green more than you think.  Someone on here mentioned this also (perhaps in another thread).  I'll be curious whether these lights are as bright as the OEM incandescent bulb.  Please let us know.

Thanks

I kinda feel like you're right, and I had that thought as well. I tell ya what, my current bulb is dim.....(not to be confused with my brain) :lol:

I'll let ya know end of the week, as it's not a true prime product. 

On 7/9/2018 at 9:59 AM, wdr said:

The lumens on that bulb should be good for that application.

On 7/9/2018 at 2:38 PM, Cory said:

Please let us know.

Bulb came in yesterday, nice brightness. 360° Should be getting it in tonight and get a shot of it.