Jump to content

 

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sign in to follow this  
Five Cent Worth

Sub in '17 VLX

Recommended Posts

Five Cent Worth

Guys - I have about a month on my new VLX.  Outside the dash literally falling apart (which the dealer has ordered parts and looking into fixing), the sub seems to be just a rattle machine.  Not sure if it is due to where it is mounted, or not being reinforced, or what...   Any insight to making it work and act like a sub would be great.  My buddy has the JL sub mounted in the walk through of his new NXT and it sounds great.  

Thanks in advance for any tips!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EricZ28

Mine rattled like crazy. Two of the enclosure screws were loose. I tightened one up but the other just spins. That did enough to take the awful rattle away at least, for now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lees23
On 7/5/2018 at 7:23 AM, Five Cent Worth said:

Guys - I have about a month on my new VLX.  Outside the dash literally falling apart (which the dealer has ordered parts and looking into fixing), the sub seems to be just a rattle machine.  Not sure if it is due to where it is mounted, or not being reinforced, or what...   Any insight to making it work and act like a sub would be great.  My buddy has the JL sub mounted in the walk through of his new NXT and it sounds great.  

Thanks in advance for any tips!

Which VLX?  The 21 VLX sub is not in a box, the 22 VLX sub is in a sealed enclosure.  My 22 VLX sounds great. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Five Cent Worth

21.  I didn't realize your point until I started looking at some photos on line.  I assume I may be able to put a box on my sub.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Weaklink

I have this same issue. Has made the auto volume function (which I really like) useless-it just rattles the cockpit too much. How would you go about adding a box?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Five Cent Worth
On 7/23/2018 at 10:12 AM, Weaklink said:

I have this same issue. Has made the auto volume function (which I really like) useless-it just rattles the cockpit too much. How would you go about adding a box?

I agree in the auto vol feature being very handy. 

I was going to talk with the local audio shop.  They seem to have a large market in the marine space here.  The sub in my boat is utterly worthless.  All you hear is it rattling. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
phinz

I had the same issue with both the dash falling apart and the sub rattle.  The dash was replaced under warranty because it was damage around the screws that held it in. On teh sub, I checked the screws and found them all loose. Tighten them up and the sound improved.  At times the auto volume still overloads the sub.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MLA
6 hours ago, Five Cent Worth said:

I agree in the auto vol feature being very handy. 

I was going to talk with the local audio shop.  They seem to have a large market in the marine space here.  The sub in my boat is utterly worthless.  All you hear is it rattling. 

There are two likely scenarios. Either helm components are loose and rattling, or the woofer mounting wall is too flexible and the woofer's energy is radiating into the helm components. If your model is one without a small sealed enclosure, I think that would be the best path to pursue. Then trace down any offending helm rattles once the woofer is in an enclosure.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Five Cent Worth
19 hours ago, phinz said:

I had the same issue with both the dash falling apart and the sub rattle.  The dash was replaced under warranty because it was damage around the screws that held it in. On teh sub, I checked the screws and found them all loose. Tighten them up and the sound improved.  At times the auto volume still overloads the sub.

Thanks for the reassurance on the dash.  Sounds like the exact same circumstance.  The dash screws ripped through the material holding it in place.  This on top of the bottom piece that keeps everything tucked up underneath the dash falling off (it is now off the boat it is so worthless).

Great tip on the screws.  I didn't think to look to tighten them up. :cheers:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Five Cent Worth
13 hours ago, MLA said:

There are two likely scenarios. Either helm components are loose and rattling, or the woofer mounting wall is too flexible and the woofer's energy is radiating into the helm components. If your model is one without a small sealed enclosure, I think that would be the best path to pursue. Then trace down any offending helm rattles once the woofer is in an enclosure.  

i believe it is the wall being a bit flexible as well as maybe the mounting screws being loose (previous post).  I can turn it up, and put pressure on it with my feet and the rattling subsides substantially.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MLA

I think its fixable. Sounds like mostly a time investment and maybe so modification and materials. I do feel that small woofer enclosure should be part of that fix on those boats that the OEM woofer is running IB.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
D_Turner
11 hours ago, Five Cent Worth said:

This on top of the bottom piece that keeps everything tucked up underneath the dash falling off (it is now off the boat it is so worthless).

I tried to get Malibu and Dealer to do something about this panel on mine.  After two trips it was just a complete waste of time dealing with either of them.  The panel doesn't fit tight enough to rely on the little bit of friction on that one lip to hold it up in chop.  Malibu made a new panel and sent it to my dealer that was IDENTICAL to the original panel....not really sure what they thought they were accomplishing with that as anybody with a brain would of known it was going to do the same thing and.........it did.   Dealer wanted to screw a door hinge on the OUTSIDE of the falling panel across the gap to the stationary portion of the dash below the steering wheel.  I cringed a little thinking they actually suggested that and said NO.  If you are not going to fix it hidden on the inside, then forget it.  I will take care of it since they don't care enough to do it right.  So my plan which I have started just haven't had time to finish is to make a thick sheet metal 'bar' that will bolt to the two bottom bolts holding the steering column inside those aluminum pieces.  The bar will be long enough to reach to each corner of the falling panel and at each corner of the bar I will either use strong velcro or magnet to provide the upward holding force at the corners so it doesn't ever drop down again unexpected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Five Cent Worth
On 7/30/2018 at 3:18 PM, phinz said:

 On teh sub, I checked the screws and found them all loose. 

Yep, you were spot on.  Very loose screws.  However, some of the screws just spin as the holes seem to be striped out.  I'll have the dealer look into this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Weaklink
On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 8:38 AM, Five Cent Worth said:

Yep, you were spot on.  Very loose screws.  However, some of the screws just spin as the holes seem to be striped out.  I'll have the dealer look into this.

Did it fix the rattle? I will check this. Did I mention that if I hold the steering wheel tightly it also improves the sound? Less rattle. Just waiting for my dash to fall off now....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Weaklink

if anyone comes up with an enclosure solution can you post it up here?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TexasTurner

There is a place called Scream Marine here in Dallas that fixes the issue. They cut out the wall and put the sub in a ported box behind the wall where it was originally mounted. They then place either a plastic slotted panel over the hole or a clear plastic slotted panel over the hole with LEDs. Basic setup is $500 or with LEDs its $800. If you're handy you could obviously do it yourself. He showed me some pictures but I can't find them on his website. He also has several of the panels cut out and ready to go. Maybe he would mail them to you and tell you how he does it  if you call and order the panel. He was very helpful explaining different lighting and stereo ideas to me. http://screammarine.com/Home.aspx 

Edited by TexasTurner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Weaklink

Dallas is not too far from me. If I cant find another solution I may look into this. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Five Cent Worth
On 8/10/2018 at 4:15 PM, Weaklink said:

Did it fix the rattle? I will check this. Did I mention that if I hold the steering wheel tightly it also improves the sound? Less rattle. Just waiting for my dash to fall off now....

It helped slightly.  Not fixed by any means.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Five Cent Worth

Just to bump this - dealer (Lake Norman Marina) did a nice job fixing the rattling sub.  I never asked how they did it, but really appreciate that they were able to take care of it.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cazan
On 8/11/2018 at 5:25 PM, TexasTurner said:

There is a place called Scream Marine here in Dallas that fixes the issue. They cut out the wall and put the sub in a ported box behind the wall where it was originally mounted. They then place either a plastic slotted panel over the hole or a clear plastic slotted panel over the hole with LEDs. Basic setup is $500 or with LEDs its $800. If you're handy you could obviously do it yourself. He showed me some pictures but I can't find them on his website. He also has several of the panels cut out and ready to go. Maybe he would mail them to you and tell you how he does it  if you call and order the panel. He was very helpful explaining different lighting and stereo ideas to me. http://screammarine.com/Home.aspx 

I just can’t get passed the fact you have to pay $500 to fix a clear design/quality issue of an $80k boat.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...