Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surfgate actuator bracket broke

Boat has about 28 hours on it and we noticed our surf wave get washed out.  Looked and saw the non deployed surfgate just flopping around. The bracket connecting actuator to the transom broke.

I don't see any signs that it hit something on the paddle or actuator.  Everything still looks new aside from the bracket. Anyone had this happen?  We are at the cabin for the week and are just going to make the trip to the dealers (3 hours round trip) and hope they can squeeze us in. 

I havent had that happen but i am getting a “surfgate locked” message while surfing even though they are deploying just fine and i dont see any other issues. Makes me wonder what else is going on. Hope your dealer gets you in quick. 

31 minutes ago, 23LSVOwner said:

Check the colts on the bracket that is attached to the actuator and see if they are really tight.

If so, that's the problem.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Tried to move the piece on the actuator and I can't even move it.  Being the pivot point I'd assume it should move somewhat freely. 

4 minutes ago, vanamp said:

I think you hit the nail on the head. Tried to move the piece on the actuator and I can't even move it.  Being the pivot point I'd assume it should move somewhat freely. 

Yep. It only needs to have a few threads coming through the nylock nut.

Better check all 4 of them.

1 hour ago, vanamp said:

Can you please post a pic when you get a chance? I want to make sure mine are correct before I have the same problem.

15 minute, somewhat unannounced visit to the dealer and they had us ready to surf again.  Unfortunately it was and hour and a half drive each way but we still got plenty of surfing in today.  

I did not take a photo and boat is in the water again but I'll post some soon. 

• Like 2
7 hours ago, vanamp said:

15 minute, somewhat unannounced visit to the dealer and they had us ready to surf again.  Unfortunately it was and hour and a half drive each way but we still got plenty of surfing in today.  

I did not take a photo and boat is in the water again but I'll post some soon. 

Glad to hear you are back on the water!

27 minutes ago, vanamp said:

I had an 1.5 hour trip each way too.  Luckily they had a bag of those brackets....kind of wishing I would have asked for a spare. 

Good thinking. I will be doing that for sure.

ahopkins22LSV
7 hours ago, vanamp said:

I had an 1.5 hour trip each way too.  Luckily they had a bag of those brackets....kind of wishing I would have asked for a spare. 

Ask them to mail you a spare?

My dealer got me the parts yesterday and I will attempt the repair tonight... plan is to tie up a tube under the platform in case I drop anything and lay on the swim platform and reach down to perform the work. (boat is on hoist in about 6 feet of water)  Wish me luck!

Update...

So I was putting the replacement bracket on and discovered the root cause of this issue was not the torque on that bolt. When the gates are extended, there is a significant interference between the body of the hydraulic actuator and the d-rings. I am confident it will fail again, its only a matter of time. I did not surf it this weekend (but did enjoy some wakeboarding) and the dealer is going to look at what they can do to fix it Monday. I suspect they will have to relocate the transom brackets. The interference is so great that I believe that my gates are not fully extending.

PSA to all 2018 Axis owners to check this out. I suspect that many others will have the same issue.

50 minutes ago, vanamp said:

Same Issue on my T22.  Port side braket broke and starboard is hanging on by a thread. 

I found it interesting that ours broke at nearly the exact same number of hours... I was at 27.5...a good portion of that was surfing hours.