Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Suck gate on a 2003 Response LXI

Trevor1

Has anyone managed to get a suck gate to stick to a response lxi?  I have a suck gate and I can’t get the suction cups to stick to the boat because the hull is curved.  Are there any other surf gate options for this boat?  Is there better suction cups you can buy that will work with a curved hull?

We're starting the same process with our 05 RLXI (same color!).  Mission Delta attaches nicely.  The suction cups are somewhat smaller and more flexible than other devices.  The Ronix 8.3 didn't attach at all.

Mission Delta will attach to the upper portion behind the Malibu decal on the port side only.  On the starboard side the decal is somewhat closer to the stern and there's not enough room.  Also, with the gate that high there's significant splash going into the boat the the rear air vents - bad.

The gate certainly helps with the wake, but we're still not able to create a wave steep enough to throw the rope, riding the Liquid Force Happy Pill 4'10".  Setup is Mission Delta, 2x 300lb fat sacs either side of the engine, ~400lb fat sac behind the engine, 2 to 4 adult passengers.  Not sure if we still don't have enough weight in the boat.

The wedge doesn't help the wake much.  Mission Delta recommended trying without the wedge, as the wake top is crisper without it.

Recommendations from other RLXI owners who've created successful wakesurf wakes would be welcome!

I’ve been able to easily surf behind my response.  Wedge down, a 550 sac instead of the back seat and a 550 sac beside the engine.  It also helps if you can get a few people in the passenger seat for weight upfront.

I found what helped the most was getting weight upfront and also listing the boat to one side.

Edited by Trevor1

I was able to mount the suck gate on the curved part of the hull but it was not easy. I had to shim between the rubber and the handle to get the rubber to stick.  Here’s the part that didn’t go so well.  The gate was not on tight enough, which I kind of thought, but it had a tether to the boat.  Unfortunately, the rope on the suck gate wasn’t strong enough and my new suck gate is at the bottom of the lake.

I think for the next one I’ll try to build a shim to go between the rubber and the suction cup handle to match the rubber to the curve of the hull.  And maybe get one that floats too.

Edited by Trevor1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/7/2018 at 8:19 AM, skils said:

The gate certainly helps with the wake, but we're still not able to create a wave steep enough to throw the rope, riding the Liquid Force Happy Pill 4'10".  Setup is Mission Delta, 2x 300lb fat sacs either side of the engine, ~400lb fat sac behind the engine, 2 to 4 adult passengers.  Not sure if we still don't have enough weight in the boat.

Not enough weight.  As trevor stated, he is using more weight. I would suggest with that direct drive boat, getting as much weight next to and behind the motor as possible. You listed 1000lbs total in your setup. Try getting closer to 2000 lbs. Also, both of you, mounting the suck gate on a curved surface will not work. It will come off, no fun. I suggest building your own gate. That way, you can mount it on the lower flat surface, and you can build the face of the plate extra tall so that it is sitting just level with or below the water. Bonus, if you make it out of wood it floats. And save you a $300 price tag

Pro tip: Getting the suck gate as far back as possible normally gets the best result. Notice in the picture in this thread the plate is all the way at the front of the build... If you build your own, you can get the plate further back on the suction cups, thus getting it closer to the stern of the boat. Difference isnt 'UGE but you will notice one.

Edited by AJwakedevil
Just the tip ;)
  • 2 weeks later...