Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2018 Hyperlite Shim Reviews???

TNVET

I’m currently looking at a few different boards. I’ve narrowed it down to about 3.  The others I’m looking at all have plenty of reviews, but I’m not finding too many reviews on the newest Hyperlite shim. I can watch Brian Grubb’s video and see it’s capabilities all day long,  but I want to hear more from the average Joe! 

Thanks! 

I have the 2017 model. Its a fun board. Does what i need it too do. Ive never riden another board besides a broadcast though. Im gonna try out a few p5 boards at lake anna at the end of the month and might buy one in the off season. 

@onewake09 That's one of the reasons I own a P5.  Matthew is great and will give you as many boards as you need to find one you like.  I wish we had other brands at LKA though ...

The older shim was better than the new one.  Maybe look at the HL Actin as well.

I mostly ride a 4’10” Byerly Volt with just the center fin, but it is a buddy’s.... I Just bought an Axis this past month, so I’m just now shopping for my first “MINE ONLY” board. I’m well beyond a beginner, but nowhere near an expert. The reason I was looking at the shim is because I was thinking it would allow me to continue to ride at my current intermediate level without holding me back from progressing my skills further (adding spins and airs to my repituare) ... and will also become a great all around “boat board” when i upgrade to my next board in the next year or so. I’m 5’8 160ish. The others I was looking at are the 

byerly Speedster ‘17 or ‘18

byerly Buzz 

Byerly Action 

liquid force keen. 

BTW, I’m in the middle Tennessee area. (Old hickory and Percy Priest) 

Edited by TNVET

The LF Keen is the best of those boards you listed. If you like the volt with just the center fin, a good skim would probably be great for you. 

I Appreciate all the help! After lots of deliberation, I picked up the 18’ Byerly Action. I really liked the shape, weight, full gripped deck, and 7 fin slots for a multitude of different configurations. I also got it for $130 off! ($514). I’ll prob still buy the shim later on for a universal surf/shim style “boat board” 

On 7/4/2018 at 9:11 PM, onewake09 said:

@pauley71 are you on LKA? I got a house on there at the end of the month for a week. We should meet up if possible. 

@onewake09 - My house is on the private/warm side but is rented for July and August.  Have fun!