Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Engine won’t turn over

So I just put a new battery I. Thinking that was the problem. No go.

All electrical works and fuel pump starts but then just a click. No turnover at all. 

Starter? Ignition coil? Anything else I could try today? 

Anyone out there today? Thanks

Scott

Take a multimeter and see if you have power to the starter. Most new starters are a starter and solenoid combo. the click you here is usually the solenoid. could be bad starter. Do you have a battery switch, check to make sure Power is leaving switch. 

Check to see if you have a solid 12v at the starter. I had a problem with the starter solenoid in the past that needed to be replaced. They may be a “marinized unit”, but it didn’t seem to matter in my case.

Have someone hold the key in start position and give the starter a rap with a hammer. If it goes, time for a new starter. Is this original starter? Hours?

formulaben
1 hour ago, scooter44 said:

So I just put a new battery I. Thinking that was the problem. No go.

All electrical works and fuel pump starts but then just a click. No turnover at all. 

Starter? Ignition coil? Anything else I could try today? 

Anyone out there today? Thanks

Scott

It's not the coil for sure.  Do the dash gauges come on when you turn the key?  Have you tried to jump the starter yet?

Also, check the No Start Troubleshooting Guide.

Having said that, verify it's in neutral and that the safety lanyard is attached (if applicable.)

6 hours ago, Rednucleus said:

Have someone hold the key in start position and give the starter a rap with a hammer. If it goes, time for a new starter. Is this original starter? Hours?

Be a little light when tapping on the starter.  The newer ones have rare earth magnets that can crack if you hit the case too hard.  Other than that, I agree with knocking it around a little. 

If the hammer does the trick, you may just need to clean the carbon out of the starter.  I think I posted a thread on starter repair a few years ago if you are interested. 

When my starting issues happened I pulled my starter completely apart to discount that as the issue. Unless you have some bad windings or busted brushes/magnets which is unlikely and it occasionally works after being rapped on then it is most likely going to be the solenoid. The starter was little more than a sliding rod with a toothed gear and magnets, can of soup simple really. Not much to really go wrong with it. The solenoid on the other hand is an electrical gremlin in a can. Sometimes mine would work and then it wouldn’t and very sporadic right up until it died altogether.

Rapping on the starter got it going right away. Continues to start and run fine all day. Ill order a new one to replace. Anyone know the make and model for the starter on a 2001 Sportser LX with Indmar Monsoon 350?  Thanks