Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Titan III Tower Rack Recommendations

Deeadza

Just purchased two new surf boards and found out on the lake they don’t fit into the old OEM racks.  Looking for recommendations on what others use - would like to bring 3 wakeboards (Hyperlite Time Machine and Shim are the new ones) and 2 surfboards and I currently have a wakeboard rack and a surfboard rack.

I have heard concern over damage with the three way racks - boards breaking - any validity to that? Considering these - 

https://www.bulletlines.com/surf-board-and-wake-board-rack-p/1011.htm

5 hours ago, Gavin17 said:

Here's a stock 2004 wakeboard rack w/ a bullet lines surf rack and wake/ kneeboard rack. 

Thanks for the reference. They look substantially larger than stock!  You like the way they work too?

• 7 months later...

Hey Gavin17... what material is the bulletlines knee/wake rack made of?  I'm looking at these for $109 on their site... just wondering if they are of reasonable quality.  I'm guessing so as it doesn't look like you put junk on your boat.

I'm considering adding one of those per side to have room to put the 2 kneeboards we bring everywhere up off the floor.  We head out with 3 wakeboards & 1 surfboard on the rack plus 2 kneeboards on the floor and I'm tired of it.

Thx!

16 hours ago, TheOtherSide said:

Hey Gavin17... what material is the bulletlines knee/wake rack made of?  I'm looking at these for $109 on their site... just wondering if they are of reasonable quality.  I'm guessing so as it doesn't look like you put junk on your boat.

I'm considering adding one of those per side to have room to put the 2 kneeboards we bring everywhere up off the floor.  We head out with 3 wakeboards & 1 surfboard on the rack plus 2 kneeboards on the floor and I'm tired of it.

Thx!

I'm pretty sure they are chrome plated aluminum.  They may just be polished though. Boat is in storage.  Again I feel fine recommending them especially considering the realitivy low price.   

qTYOPLk.jpg

VQel9W5.jpg

Edited by Gavin17
5 hours ago, Gavin17 said:

I'm pretty sure they are chrome plated aluminum.  They may just be polished though. Boat is in storage.  Again I feel fine recommending them especially considering the realitivy low price.   

qTYOPLk.jpg

VQel9W5.jpg

Nice... thanks!

My next dilemma is sorting out which ones should mount on the lower or upper area.  Thinking of putting these with the kneeboards on the higher setting as the tower curves... give them a bit more of an upright look... take a bit of stress off the rack.

2 hours ago, TheOtherSide said:

Nice... thanks!

My next dilemma is sorting out which ones should mount on the lower or upper area.  Thinking of putting these with the kneeboards on the higher setting as the tower curves... give them a bit more of an upright look... take a bit of stress off the rack.

The difference in loads on the tower seems marginal.  If I were going to think it through I'd put the slots you use most on the bottom.  The top ones are harder to reach.  Also wake board spacing matters due to binding size.  I'm tall so I put my board on top w/ the bindings up.  Short people can't reach to top slot. If I put my wake board down the bindings would interfere with the surf boards.  I wanted mine close together and high as not not interfere with vision or docking or getting in and out of the boat.  

The downside to the high positions is they are above the driver and observer seat instead of beside it.  This means wet boards drip on the driver and observer.  If we have some empty racks, (most days) I don't use the top slots.  Another simple way to not have boards dripping on people is I sometimes keep a rotation with one board on the floor.  Leaving the wet board on the floor for the next set allows it to dry enough not to drip.  Then after we pick up the next rider the damp board goes in the rack and the wet board goes on the floor etc. 

9 hours ago, Gavin17 said:

The difference in loads on the tower seems marginal.  If I were going to think it through I'd put the slots you use most on the bottom.  The top ones are harder to reach.  Also wake board spacing matters due to binding size.  I'm tall so I put my board on top w/ the bindings up.  Short people can't reach to top slot. If I put my wake board down the bindings would interfere with the surf boards.  I wanted mine close together and high as not not interfere with vision or docking or getting in and out of the boat.  

The downside to the high positions is they are above the driver and observer seat instead of beside it.  This means wet boards drip on the driver and observer.  If we have some empty racks, (most days) I don't use the top slots.  Another simple way to not have boards dripping on people is I sometimes keep a rotation with one board on the floor.  Leaving the wet board on the floor for the next set allows it to dry enough not to drip.  Then after we pick up the next rider the damp board goes in the rack and the wet board goes on the floor etc. 

Well thought out.  Yeah, so far no drips from our current rack positions... but will see when adding these ones.  When we go out full tilt with the 5 of us... we have 4 wakeboards, 2 kneeboards and 1 surf board... leaves us one surf spot open... guess I'm gonna have to buy another surf board... lol.

5 hours ago, tbullard said:

What mirror and mounting arm are you using?

Arm came with the boat. 

Cipa 180 mirror was $30 Amazon sale. I wanted ptm but it costs alot more. 

Bracket was $40 from another web store. 

• 2 months later...
On 7/12/2018 at 5:22 PM, Gavin17 said:

Here's a stock 2004 wakeboard rack w/ a bullet lines surf rack and wake/ kneeboard rack. 

SzCoqiS.jpg

Quick question for you:  I have 2.5" tubes on my tower... doesn't give any room for the rubber isolators.  I contacted Bullet Lines, they said to install it without any insulators for the 2.5" towers.  Just metal on metal.  Not too worried about scratches... but just seems weird.  How are yours installed?  Isolators or not?  Thx