Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

14 23 LSV won't hold speed?

Chappy

Hello All,

On vacation at Lake Chelan (1100') with a buddy who just bought a 2014 23 LSV with the 409 motor.  Went out this morning to get it dialed in, we were running stock ballast with 900# PNP fully loaded and set speed to 10.4 and wedge about 50-60%. Boat would not maintain 10.4 with full throttle and would only max out at 9.8. Is the 409 under powered? is it the elevation? Would a different prop fix this issue?  If so, what prop would you recommend?  Boat has stock factory prop on it now.

Thanks for the help!

If there's 900's in the back, you're going to need a bow bag at any elevation to keep the bow down and get the prop angled to where it can push the boat forward. Try filling the bags only ~60% full if you don't have a bow bag available and you should see a big difference. Or park a couple larger folks in the bow...

The 409 is plenty for that boat and even higher elevations.

• Like 2

way too much wedge too!  Try the wedge all the way down, bags in back half full, speed 11ish. Add weight and wedge till she gives up, then add bow weight, dump a little weight,  or back off the wedge some.

• Like 2

at that altitude 2313 would probably be plenty (with 2315 and 2419 being the next more aggressive steps).  But it totally sounds like a weighting/wedge issue first and foremost (more aggro prop will spin higher rpms, but won't necessarily push the boat forward through the water faster)

Are we really considering 1,100' elevation?  I live at 700-800' depending on which lake and I wouldn't consider myself anywhere close to "elevation".

I agree with @shawndoggyand @NWBU that you guys have too much weight.

In my 2014 23 LSV I would run with my 750 lb rears nearly full, MLS full, about 600 lbs bow weight and the wedge 1 click up from all the way down. That gave me a great wave.

I would fill your rear bags about 2/3-3/4 full, go full MLS, wedge 1 click up from all the way down and put 2-3 adults in the bow if you don't have any other way to add weight to the bow. From there I would play with the wedge 1 click at a time to tune the wave. Port side wave I ran at 10.8 mph (regular footed riders). Starboard side I ran at 11 mph (goofy riders). Also remember that as you add crew you should think about reducing your rear ballast some.

That's an awesome boat that puts out a great wave. Take your time. Have fun. It'll work.

Also, I should add that I ended up running an Acme 2773 prop. I had the MP 450 HP motor so not sure how it would compare on 409 but I loved that prop. It had all the stump-pulling torque I needed and also kept my rpms lower. I actually purchased the boat from @shawndoggyand he was running it with an OJ 945 because of the elevation he lives at. At sea level I felt like I could have pulled an Abrams Tank out of the water with the OJ. The 2773 was a perfect balance between torque and lower rpms.

• Like 2

I had a 14’lsv with 350, with 900’s in the back, boat came with the 2315.

i plumbed a 650 bow bag and jumped to the 2419. No problems up at 6000ft(donner lake) just wouldn’t use the wedge above 1-2 or dump some of the rear weight.

there are plenty of ballast threads with the 14-16 LSV’s that boat needs bow weight to plane while loaded for surfing

• Like 2