Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Recommendation on the best wedge

delucc

I recently bought a 2004 Malibu Sportsters LX because I like to ski. It has a mount for a wedge on it and I would like to surf behind it. I also have some bags but would like to get a wedge as well. I've been hearing stories that the 1st generation wedges have been breaking off. What recommendations would you have for the right wedge and who carries them. Thanks!

There aren't options on which wedge you pick.  There are two different foil styles for the fixed manual wedge, which is what your bracket has, but they have the same lack of durability.  I believe the flat was for the diamond hulls and the v shaped foil for the wake hulls, but don't quote me on that.  Mine had the flat until I upgraded to a floating wedge.

If you want one that's not going to break, you need a floating wedge AND the floating wedge bracket.  It is a direct bracket swap.  You are unlikely to find either used, so expect to pay about $1200 for the whole setup.

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW, I have been using manual wedges for 12 years and have never had an issue.  The problem arises if the bolts come loose, so as long as you keep them tight, you shouldn't have an issue (assuming you don't hit anything.  Put some Loctite on the bolts and hex screws and check periodically and you should be fine.  That being said, if you are willing to spend the $$ for a floating wedge, it is as upgrade over the manual.  

6 minutes ago, dlb said:

Surfing with a Sportster might be tough.  You have a ski boat, so ballast and wedge will only go so far.

I have owned a DD and set up 2 other DD with great results on the surf wave... you will need ballast and it takes up space.. In my LX I ran 1000 behind dog house, 800 on sides of dog house, ballast under seats, 800 in walkway in bow, 400 in center MLS.. wedge.. ghetto gate and had a fabulous wave... the boat will be almost at rub rails. 

Helped a friend set up his response with suck gate and was a great wave... 

Same with a Prostar.

You can do it.. just won't have room in boat ;)

32 minutes ago, kerpluxal said:

I have owned a DD and set up 2 other DD with great results on the surf wave... you will need ballast and it takes up space.. In my LX I ran 1000 behind dog house, 800 on sides of dog house, ballast under seats, 800 in walkway in bow, 400 in center MLS.. wedge.. ghetto gate and had a fabulous wave... the boat will be almost at rub rails. 

Same with a Prostar.

That is why I have a bigger boat, there are 6 in my family plus a few friends....

I have a power wedge that came off of my 07 LSV if you want to adapt it to your boat. its complete except for the switches.  The insurance co. decided to replace the whole thing when we hit a submerged log and bent the rudder and prop  $ 500 - 600.

• 3 months later...
On 7/21/2018 at 7:02 PM, C28 said:

I have a power wedge that came off of my 07 LSV if you want to adapt it to your boat. its complete except for the switches.  The insurance co. decided to replace the whole thing when we hit a submerged log and bent the rudder and prop  $ 500 - 600.

I just now saw this response. Do you have pics of it and will work on my LX? Thx

On 7/17/2018 at 5:20 PM, kerpluxal said:

Same with a Prostar.

As long as you don't mind being swamped by a rogue duck wake...  :)

But I agree on the wake setup stuff.  You don't need a boat with the freeboard of the Queen Mary to make a decent surf wake.  Small wake and good board with a decent rider is 10000000x better than a massive wave and someone who doesn't know what they're doing (which from looking at the lakes here in AZ I'd say is the vast vast majority).

Edited by UWSkier