Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

05 response lxi

jjackkrash

Jjack, if you are willing to wait till spring you can find some sweet deals on new boats with full warranty that were used for one season by college teams. They get new 07's for fall semester and sell them after spring semester. They never title them because they are 'demo' boats so it is a new purchase in spring. You can just go direct to the teams to shop or ask myself or UWSKIER or others here on tips of who to go to. I know UW-Stout has a new 19' Pro-Star with tower, water tanks, perfect pass that they will be selling. Not sure what :) other teams have. They usually have around a hundred hours on them. They used to be 100% Bous but their contract expired and now they have a mix of brands.

I am not in any hurry (still working on the wife). I would be hesitant to buy from a college team (I captained Chico State's team in 91 and I know what we put our Brendella through) but a hundred hours sounds great, assuming the hour meter was connected the whole time. Our boat was in the water 8 hours a day 8 months out of the year and used for some seriously unintended uses. Maybe college teams have more supervision than they used to.

Do you ski for a college? Is it still as fun as I remeber? If so, enjoy it while you can. Work sucks. After logging 5-600 hours a year in or behind the boat, I havnt been in a tournament boat since 1994. Cry.gif In any event, I want to get back into it and the rlxi looks like the way to go.

Thanks for the reply,

Jack

My daughter skis on one, took second in barefoot and wakeboard last week in a 4-team tourney. I'm way past my prime skiing days, yes work sucks, even after 30 years of it. I sure wish they had ski clubs when I was in college. The team boats in MN and WI don't get much use. Yes, you can believe those 100 hour per school year figures and I think they are fairly responsible with how they use them. If you find one in the 200 hour range it is probably because they were not able to sell it and they are on their second year with it. I see that UW-Stout already has their Mastercraft posted up for sale on their web site. I am guessing you could commit to buy it now contingent on condition and hours when spring semester finishes up. There is one company that all the college teams around here lease the boats from, any of those schools team presidents can hook you up with that guy and he can tell you what school has what. Might be hard to find an RLXi tho, since they cost more they also lease for more and these teams are pretty tight for money. You will probably find RLX's, Sporty's, and Pro-Star 19'. Somehow these teams were locked into Bous until last year so many of them are exerciseing their freedom to go with other brands right now so I am not sure how many Bous you will find this year.

Aside from school boats, focus shoping on the northern mid-west. People up here just don't put many hours on their boats and you can be sure there was no salt water use. Mine was 5 years old and only had a hundred hours on it. A guy on our lake was selling a 20' Pro star, 5 years old with under 30 hours on it. Just two extreme examples but they can be found. (don't get a 20' Pro Star tho, their wakes suck from what I have read here)

My daughter skis on one, took second in barefoot and wakeboard last week in a 4-team tourney. I'm way past my prime skiing days, yes work sucks, even after 30 years of it. I sure wish they had ski clubs when I was in college. The team boats in MN and WI don't get much use. Yes, you can believe those 100 hour per school year figures and I think they are fairly responsible with how they use them. If you find one in the 200 hour range it is probably because they were not able to sell it and they are on their second year with it. I see that UW-Stout already has their Mastercraft posted up for sale on their web site. I am guessing you could commit to buy it now contingent on condition and hours when spring semester finishes up. There is one company that all the college teams around here lease the boats from, any of those schools team presidents can hook you up with that guy and he can tell you what school has what. Might be hard to find an RLXi tho, since they cost more they also lease for more and these teams are pretty tight for money. You will probably find RLX's, Sporty's, and Pro-Star 19'. Somehow these teams were locked into Bous until last year so many of them are exerciseing their freedom to go with other brands right now so I am not sure how many Bous you will find this year.

Aside from school boats, focus shoping on the northern mid-west. People up here just don't put many hours on their boats and you can be sure there was no salt water use. Mine was 5 years old and only had a hundred hours on it. A guy on our lake was selling a 20' Pro star, 5 years old with under 30 hours on it. Just two extreme examples but they can be found. (don't get a 20' Pro Star tho, their wakes suck from what I have read here)

Congrats on your daughter and thanks for the tips. I am sure she is having a great time. There is just something about college skiing that you can't explain to those who don't experience it first hand. Hopefully I will have my boat by early next season. It will likely cost me some new furniture first, however. Biggrin.gif

take care,

Jack