Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

05 response lxi

jjackkrash

Greetings all. New to this site and looking for a boat. I just saw an 05 rlxi with 40 hours advertised on the web for $20k, USD. It says the boat is perfect. Any chance this isn't a scam?

uh, yeah.

www.everyboat.com/c/s/2005-malibu-response-lxi_6204.htm

Check it out. I doubt its legit, but damn. The guy e-mailed and said he was in the military in europe and needed to sell it now.

I agree, thats why I posted. Although my haert started racing when I saw that add. On a more reailstic front, our local dealer has a 2005 lxi demo boat with 400 hours. Will sell with new warrentee. I am hesitant to by a ski school boat, but they want 29,500 for it. This seems like a pretty good deal as it comes with new warrentee.

I just sent him an email as well. We'll see if we get the same story. Obviously something is up here. I asked how we would proceed if I decided I wanted to buy it. Pretty safe to say that the usual scam will come into play then.

Mike

Here is the reply I got. I'm going to play with him a bit and have some fun.

Hello there and thank you for your interest,

The 2005 Malibu Response Lxi is like new, with no scratches, no marks, no hidden defects.

The boat comes with a trailer and have perfect pass digital pro,heater and tower fold down.

There are only 40 hours on the boat and engine. It looks great.It is in excellent condition, I have only used it for a few times and only in fresh water.

Unfortunately,I must sell it right away to secure a real invest. This is a one owner boat and it has a clear United States title.

If you are interested in buying it the price is USD $20.000.00.

Curently I am in Europe in a military base but the boat is located in US ,will be shipped from there , and I will handle all shipping arrangements and costs.

It will take no more than 10-12 days for the shipping company to deliver the boat to you.

The transaction will go through eBay for our own protection.

They will hold and insure your money until receipt of the boat in good conditon.

You will have 15 days from the time you receive the boat to inspect it and decide if you want to keep it or not.

If you wish to purchase it please provide me your full name and address so I can initiate the deal through eBay.

After that eBay will contact you with further information and instructions.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Warm Regards

Kenneth,

And my reply...

Kenneth,

I was just thinking that I don't want to risk losing the boat, so I would propose this rather than going through eBay.

My brother-in-law lives very near Boston. I will get a cashiers check to him for the $20k and have him come by and look at the boat in person. If everything looks good, he can pick it up on the spot. That should save both of us the eBay fees and you the cost of having to transport it half-way across the country.

How does that sound?

Thanks,

Mike

Here is the reply I got. I'm going to play with him a bit and have some fun.

Hello there and thank you for your interest,

The 2005 Malibu Response Lxi is like new, with no scratches, no marks, no hidden defects.

The boat comes with a trailer and have perfect pass digital pro,heater and tower fold down.

There are only 40 hours on the boat and engine. It looks great.It is in excellent condition, I have only used it for a few times and only in fresh water.

Unfortunately,I must sell it right away to secure a real invest. This is a one owner boat and it has a clear United States title.

If you are interested in buying it the price is USD $20.000.00.

Curently I am in Europe in a military base but the boat is located in US ,will be shipped from there , and I will handle all shipping arrangements and costs.

It will take no more than 10-12 days for the shipping company to deliver the boat to you.

The transaction will go through eBay for our own protection.

They will hold and insure your money until receipt of the boat in good conditon.

You will have 15 days from the time you receive the boat to inspect it and decide if you want to keep it or not.

If you wish to purchase it please provide me your full name and address so I can initiate the deal through eBay.

After that eBay will contact you with further information and instructions.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Warm Regards

Kenneth,

Thats pretty much the same e-mail I got. The next one you will get--after asking to see it in person--is olne that reiterates the need for security and the fact that you are protected by the e-mail return policy. Oh, and he will make all the arrangements.

I live about 20 minutes west of Boston. If you are serious and it doesn't turn out to be a scam (which is doubtful) I could go look at the boat and probably even get it in the water.

I live about 20 minutes west of Boston. If you are serious and it doesn't turn out to be a scam (which is doubtful) I could go look at the boat and probably even get it in the water.

That's a generous offer. But I am pretty sure its a scam. If not, however, I am definately interested.

Thanks,

Jack

And the latest...

You'd think if he kept his boat in Maryland he'd at least know how to spell it. I'm debating sending him an email with a dummy name, address, etc...

Hi Michael,

The boat is located in Mariland and will be shipped from there.According with Ebay terms you will have a period for verification.The verification period starts from the moment you receive the boat and it lasts 15 days.During this time you will be able to verify everything from the technical condition to registration details. You are free to contact us during this time about the sale. If by any reason you wish to stop the process and to refuse the item, and return it , I will accept this, no questions asked, as it is part of Ebay return policy.

If you are willing to conclude a deal for $ 20.000.00 I need to provide me your details (full name,shipping address).I will send your info to Ebay and they will contact you in 24 h to initiate the transaction with all the details.

Kenneth,

Man, is this guy a clown.

I kept toying with him and he sent me an email that essentially looks like the eBay "Congrats, you won" email that you usually get. Instead of the "Pay" button, though, it had account information to wire the money to.

I can't believe people actually fall for these things.

Man, is this guy a clown.

I kept toying with him and he sent me an email that essentially looks like the eBay "Congrats, you won" email that you usually get. Instead of the "Pay" button, though, it had account information to wire the money to.

I can't believe people actually fall for these things.

Hey, post the account number here so we can all wire him $20K each and see how many LXi's he has to sell.

Surprised.gif

Thats's one nice looking boat! I just sent him the following note, lets see how many of us he strings along on his ride.

This looks like a nice boat that I am interested in. Can we meet where the boat is for inspection? I will bring a cashiers check to exchange for the title. I live within reasonable driveing distance of Boston so I will just tow it home with my truck if the sale completes.

Yeah, I like how the guys email address is Kenneth Floyd (see below), but he wanted me to wire the payment to "Mizjak Saso". A quick Google on that name and surprise... http://www.met.police.uk/fraudalert/news/ebayscam.htm

Please make payment to the following account

Bank Name: Millennium Bank

Acct. Owner: BIZJAK SASO

Acct. Number: 7468 9837

Bank Code: 1160 2202

IBAN: PL16 1160 2202 0000 0000 7468 9837

Swift Code: BIGBPLPWXXX

Bank Address: Rynek Kleparski 4,Krakow

Bank Country: POLAND

I decided to screw with him a little more. So, after he "moved" the boat to Maryland when I told him I could have someone in Boston look at it for me and he sent me the "bill" I replied to him with the following:

Kenneth,

Great news! I talked to my brother-in-law and he's going to be in Maryland next week and can pick up the boat. He'll have a $20k cashiers check with him. Just provide the contact information and I'll get in touch with whoever currently resides with the boat and we can set it up.

Thanks!

Mike

Jjack, if you are willing to wait till spring you can find some sweet deals on new boats with full warranty that were used for one season by college teams. They get new 07's for fall semester and sell them after spring semester. They never title them because they are 'demo' boats so it is a new purchase in spring. You can just go direct to the teams to shop or ask myself or UWSKIER or others here on tips of who to go to. I know UW-Stout has a new 19' Pro-Star with tower, water tanks, perfect pass that they will be selling. Not sure what other teams have. They usually have around a hundred hours on them. They used to be 100% Bous but their contract expired and now they have a mix of brands.