Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

blower cap fell off and lost off 1999 malibu sportster

dbecker

Ballast Buddy

1 post

Joined July 2018

Posted just now

I have a 1999 malibu sportster lx and while transporting the boat to the lake, my blower cap in the back came off and I can't find one anywhere.  Malibu doesn't have them from that old and the company that makes them doesn't have them either.  I am trying to figure out how I get a replacement one.  It is not good to have that hole back there as water can get in.  I am frustrated I can't find a replacement.  If anyone has any ideas where I can find one, that would be great.  

It will be tough to find one. You could try to find one on ebay. Some boat junkyards might have them. Otherwise, If you're up for it, you could stencil out the outer pattern and hardware location. Then, take it a local 3D printer or a machine shop with a CNC mill and have them make a new one out of aluminum.

• Like 2

on the back of my boat there is a square access panel where the blower is. In the middle of the access panel that is right on the back of the boat is a 4 inch round hole to access the blower if need be without taking off the whole panel.  That 4 inch cap came off.  

Thanks old jeep for the suggestion and thanks jaciche.  Notice Jaciche you are from milwaukee.  I live in madison.  

22 hours ago, formulaben said:

Blower exhaust grate?

yes it is the grate at the back with the a round hole that the cap fits on.  Cap came off somehow while driving it.  Very frustrating try to find one.

3 hours ago, formulaben said:

Can you post a picture of it?

I will try to post a picture of it.  Can't seem to figure out how to do that. 

On 7/3/2018 at 8:19 AM, oldjeep said:

I have no idea what a blower cap is, but try greatlakesskipper.com

will try great lakes skipper

On 7/3/2018 at 8:42 AM, jaciche said:

It will be tough to find one. You could try to find one on ebay. Some boat junkyards might have them. Otherwise, If you're up for it, you could stencil out the outer pattern and hardware location. Then, take it a local 3D printer or a machine shop with a CNC mill and have them make a new one out of aluminum.

do you know of any boat junk yards I can look up.  good idea making a pattern and taking it to a cnc mill shop and have them make a new one. 

I'd call a couple local dealers and see if they have any laying around or off a wrecked boat.  My 2000 has 4 ports/vents off the back, did you loose just one or all four? If just one I'd find a round plumbing piece and cap it off and just move you blower exhaust hose over to the next one vent. 

5 hours ago, Cazan said:

I'd call a couple local dealers and see if they have any laying around or off a wrecked boat.  My 2000 has 4 ports/vents off the back, did you loose just one or all four? If just one I'd find a round plumbing piece and cap it off and just move you blower exhaust hose over to the next one vent. 

on google images for 1999 sportster lx the third picture in shows on top of the back of the boat a black square vent grate.  On the grate, hard to see from picture from google images has a center 4 inch cap that gives you access to the blower.  That cap came off.  I called dealers who called malibu and I even called the manufacture that made that cap and they don';t  have one either.  Maybe a plumbing piece a 4 inch cap.  I wish I could just find one.  Looked at boat junkyards but couldn't find any there as well.  Haven't called on all those so this will be very interesting to see how I find something to cover that 4 inch hole. 

@dbeckerI have the same boat and don't have the 4" round cap. The grate is one solid piece and you have to remove the 4 screws to access the blower. Yours was probably modified by a previous owner.

Given this I would focus on DIY methods to replace. Here's a 4" black plastic drain grate you may be able to modify and epoxy in place: https://www.amazon.com/NDS-Plastic-Round-4-Inch-TECHNOLOGIES/dp/B0184Y1J5I/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1530792787&sr=8-6&keywords=4"+round+plastic+grate

On 7/4/2018 at 2:47 PM, dbecker said:

I will try to post a picture of it.  Can't seem to figure out how to do that. 

How do I post a picture of it.  been trying to figure it out.  Would love to post a picture of it.

14 hours ago, drh said:

@dbeckerI have the same boat and don't have the 4" round cap. The grate is one solid piece and you have to remove the 4 screws to access the blower. Yours was probably modified by a previous owner.

Given this I would focus on DIY methods to replace. Here's a 4" black plastic drain grate you may be able to modify and epoxy in place: https://www.amazon.com/NDS-Plastic-Round-4-Inch-TECHNOLOGIES/dp/B0184Y1J5I/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1530792787&sr=8-6&keywords=4"+round+plastic+grate

thanks for the 4 " black drain grate.  Might have to do that way like you said.  Wish I could post a picture of it as I have a picture but can't seem to figure out how to attach in these threads. 

6 minutes ago, dbecker said:

How do I post a picture of it.  been trying to figure it out.  Would love to post a picture of it.

Upload your photo to Flickr or some other 3rd party photo sharing site, then paste the link on here. Here being where you type a message on the forum.