Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Steering loss - FYI for what to do

ahopkins22LSV

Crazy this happened this past weekend that we lost all steering. Luckily it happened when we were just finishing a surf set and luckily we were able to band aid it to get us through the weekend. I just figured I’d post this up Incase it happens to anyone else. 

You will need to removed the starboard side engine divider that is held in place with the two twist knobs and the small diverse piece to the stern of the boat. Two Phillups head screws. 

We opened the rear facing seats to allow more light into the engine compartment. 

You will need to look for the “carrier” of the steering cable/tube. It is under the rear most starboard engine mount. It’s a black tube with two black nylon nuts on each side of the tube and then a silver lock nut on the forward part of the tube. I tried to take some pictures the best I could. All three nuts need to be tight. I hope you have skinny hands and arms. There is very little space. You have to go between the exhaust manifold and the rail for the engine divider when the engine is hot because the raptor has the oil routing for the oil filter in the back so the is HOT and the coolant radiator is in the back, also hot! Oh, engine mounts get extremely hot too! Basically everything is hot but I was able to do it with only a minor burn and bruising lol. Better then not being on the water. I laid down in the storage compartment head to the back of the boat.

We turned the wheel to the right all the way then hand tightened all of them the best we could. Got us through the weekend. Although I did have to do it again after pulling surfers on the regular side for a long period. I think the extra torque back the silver nut off. 

The silver lock nut is 1 1/6”. I bought a cheap wrench and cut it down to snug it up yesterday. You can get a small set of pliers in there but it’s a very difficult and small progress turn. 

I was able to tighten the black nylon nuts very tight by hand. Not sure what size those are. I will be having my dealer go over this at the next service but I think this will get me to there. 

Oh one more thing, after you tighten everything up and test the steering, the “carrier” should rotate slightly. Do not snug that bolt up.

Green arrow is the “carrier” and the silver lock nut is circled in orange.

0C6D512D-5CB9-4972-B348-F39D2717D2EC.thumb.jpeg.77c011de8293008f9e9dc86450ee5cc6.jpeg

2D5EED91-8681-47DD-94A0-6FC2E28CB914.thumb.jpeg.11b254b08b74aeb2a1e88c30e743ac64.jpeg

Wow!  Nice MacGyver-style weekend save Ahop!  That had to be brutally hot with the weather over the weekend, hopefully you at least found some shade to do the work in.

ahopkins22LSV
1 hour ago, Michigan boarder said:

Wow!  Nice MacGyver-style weekend save Ahop!  That had to be brutally hot with the weather over the weekend, hopefully you at least found some shade to do the work in.

Well we were in the middle of the lake both times haha. 

I forgot to mention that you will be able to manually turn the rudder under the boat if this happens. So I first checked the tiller arm and rudder assembly then the steering box under the helm. Those all checked out good which is how we found that little carrier. 

ahopkins22LSV
7 minutes ago, 23LSVOwner said:

Did the cable nut come loose?

If so, I believe there was a service bulletin for that.

The two black nylon nuts came loose and the silver cable lock nut came loose. 

You knew the steering cable was loose/coming loose and continued to drive? I understand you " MacGyvered" it. But that should have been to get you back to the dock. Ive seen people rig stuff before with really bad out comes. I know you really want to ski/surf, but why take the risk? 

Im sure Ill get flamed for this, but safety should come first.

And yes, there was a service advisory for that.

Edited by COOP
ahopkins22LSV
35 minutes ago, COOP said:

You knew the steering cable was loose/coming loose and continued to drive? I understand you " MacGyvered" it. But that should have been to get you back to the dock. Ive seen people rig stuff before with really bad out comes. I know you really want to ski/surf, but why take the risk? 

Im sure Ill get flamed for this, but safety should come first.

And yes, there was a service advisory for that.

After the first time I thought I got it tight we anchored and hung out for the rest of the day we did not continue surfing. The next day we tried surfing again and once it happened again we stopped. I got it back to where we could idle around or Lake and then later anchor again. Now yesterday I was able to get back into the bilge and get it tight. I’ve talked to my service manager twice and he didn’t mention a service advisory for this but I’ll call him now. Do you or @23LSVOwner have the exact advisory that I can reference?

I was posting this as an FYI for anyone who could possible get stranded by this. There is a way to get a fix to it on the water.

Edited by ahopkinsTXi
  • Like 2