Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2001 Sunsetter LXI Constant Beeping

plattelakesunsetter

So this week took it off the lift to drive across the lake to meet family, and I noticed it beeping, It's the same beep that you get when you start the boat but it wont go away.  Shut the boat off and turn it back on and it takes about 20 seconds and then returns.  Have checked oil levels and everything is fine.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Ill have to check that, but i am not sure where it is located.  The boat had already been used multiple times this summer with no issues so it just seems strange. 

formulaben

BEEP CODES — the 4 maintenance items that can trigger the beeper are:

• High engine water temperature (>203*)
  • Low oil pressure (<6 PSI) at switch to ECM
  • High transmission temperature (>140?*)
  • A diagnostics trouble code

2a4zles.jpg

2r289lk.jpg

11 minutes ago, footndale said:

Remove the wire to the oil pressure sending unit and see if it stops.

Very common and very annoying. 

I have a similar issue. I did remove the wire and alarm still runs. Please don't mind me tagging along Platte.

Steve B.

1 hour ago, formulaben said:

Sending unit only send a signal to the dash gauge.  The 6psi switch to the ECM causes the beeping.

OOps, what @formulaben said.

Probably replace both if you are doing one. 

Edited by footndale
  • Like 2

I’ve got the same problem. It’s the same alarm as when you turn on the ignition and the fuel pump starts. Mine stops at full throttle but starts again when I’m idling around after the motor has warmed up.. I’m on vacation at Lake Winnipesaukee with the family so troubleshooting is difficult with 3 grandchildren. Tomorrow I may try disconnecting the ECM pressure switch to see if it stops.

i did find some oil under the electric cap.

i also think the sending unit, to the dashboard could be bad as the gauge drops to zero at idle.

Question is will I damage anything. Could the oil pump be bad and the switches are working?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks, Joe

formulaben
51 minutes ago, LowProfile said:

I’ve got the same problem. It’s the same alarm as when you turn on the ignition and the fuel pump starts. Mine stops at full throttle but starts again when I’m idling around after the motor has warmed up.. I’m on vacation at Lake Winnipesaukee with the family so troubleshooting is difficult with 3 grandchildren. Tomorrow I may try disconnecting the ECM pressure switch to see if it stops.

i also think the sending unit, to the dashboard could be bad as the gauge drops to zero at idle.

Question is will I damage anything. Could the oil pump be bad and the switches are working?

Yeah, definitely disconnect that wire and see if it stops.  I suppose a weak oil pump is a possibility, but for sure the sending units to the dash to display pressure go out at this age.  They are cheap, just go to your local auto parts store and bring the old one; tell them it's for a 1999 Chevy Suburban and it should match.  If it's a diagnostics trouble code I can't be much help.

3 minutes ago, formulaben said:

Yeah, definitely disconnect that wire and see if it stops.  I suppose a weak oil pump is a possibility, but for sure the sending units to the dash to display pressure go out at this age.  They are cheap, just go to your local auto parts store and bring the old one; tell them it's for a 1999 Chevy Suburban and it should match.  If it's a diagnostics trouble code I can't be much help.

Thanks, I’ll give it a shot and try to report back. (Not what I wanted to be doing on my birthday vacation) 

9 hours ago, LowProfile said:

Thanks, I’ll give it a shot and try to report back. (Not what I wanted to be doing on my birthday vacation) 

My birthday vacay too.

On 7/4/2018 at 12:51 AM, LowProfile said:

I disconnected the ECM pressure switch and the alarm stopped. Obviously time for a new one. My question is, am I going to damage anything by running the boat the rest of the week before the new switches arrive. I’ll be replacing the ECM and sending unit switches, but would rather wait until I get home ?

Many thanks in advance, Joe

I would get a analog pressure switch to put in place to make sure you are actually getting proper oil pressure.  If the pressure is good, run it.

5 minutes ago, twitchee2 said:

I would get a analog pressure switch to put in place to make sure you are actually getting proper oil pressure.  If the pressure is good, run it.

Where would you connect the analog pressure switch 

My bad, it is not a switch, it is a pressure gauge that you need to connect in the same location the current pressure switch is at.  Remove the old, suspected bad switch and replace with a gauge. 

26 minutes ago, twitchee2 said:

My bad, it is not a switch, it is a pressure gauge that you need to connect in the same location the current pressure switch is at.  Remove the old, suspected bad switch and replace with a gauge. 

Got it. That makes sense. Just need to find an 1/8” pressure gauge. Thanks 

11 minutes ago, LowProfile said:

Got it. That makes sense. Just need to find an 1/8” pressure gauge. Thanks 

Any autoparts store will have one.

Well thanks guys!  Disconnected the oil pressure sending switch and the beeping went away.  Anyone know what the part number would be to replace this, and when I replace it is oil going to be spewing out when I remove the old one?

• Like 1

Take the current one to your local auto parts store and tell them it comes from a GM 350.  The can match it.  I use a ‘78 Camero as the car.  Others use a pick up....

• Like 2
formulaben
On 7/5/2018 at 9:13 AM, LowProfile said:

I disconnected the ECM pressure switch and the alarm stopped. Obviously time for a new one. My question is, am I going to damage anything by running the boat the rest of the week before the new switches arrive. I’ll be replacing the ECM and sending unit switches, but would rather wait until I get home ?

Many thanks in advance, Joe

Not going to damage anything at all, just be sure to monitor your oil pressure via the dash gauge in the meantime.  Good call on replacing both, as the sending units fail at this age and you'll be down there anyway.

14 hours ago, plattelakesunsetter said:

Well thanks guys!  Disconnected the oil pressure sending switch and the beeping went away.  Anyone know what the part number would be to replace this, and when I replace it is oil going to be spewing out when I remove the old one?

I went to Skidim.com before I saw this and bought both switches. The pressure switch part #OP22900 was $8.45 and the sending oil unit was $41.65, part #R020001,  plus shipping $11.31. (Dam, could have saved money).

I haven’t installed them yet, I’m waiting to get the boat home from our vacation. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Don't mind me tagging along on this thread.

I removed connection from switch, tranny temp sending unit and water temp sending unit. Alarm still on. Beyond frustrated. Not sure what to do now. Reflash ecm ?

Thanks for help again,

Steve B.