Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Question about wedge use 14 23LSV

Leftlane

Hi all - this is my second summer with our 14 23 LSV and I don’t really seem to know what I’m doing re wedge etc.  We usually have 4-6 people on board, all ballasts full plus the plug and play sacs, and surf gate activated.  We run around 9.6 mph (too slow?) and get a pretty good wave as long as I pay attention to staying in deeper water. When I try to activate the wedge, it seems like all that happens is we lose any speed at all and the wave just completely washes out - whereas I thought it would help make it even better.  As a result I never even deploy the wedge any more.  

Any suggestions on what I am doing?  Are my speeds off?  I bought this boat fully loaded to the gills from the dealer, who had a great client trade it in (they were members of a college wake team) - it has everything you could get on it, and my worry is that the boat’s capabilities are lost on me because I am a numbnut.  I love the boat but would prefer to be a better captain and make it more fun - even though my daughter has zero problems getting up and surfing without the rope as long as I want to drive.  I, in the other hand, struggle to find the right spot in the wave and usually lose momentum after a short while without the rope.

Insights welcome!

First... wedge should be deployed while you are not moving

Second... how deep

Third... where you peeps sitting at? 

Fourth,, I believe 9.6 is to slow

Water depth is very important 

Arrangement of weight is very important (to much in rear and you will never get on plane and the wave will be extremely short to non existent.