Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

18" Trailer Wheel and Tire Durability

ETN22VLX

Has anyone had durability issues for tires on the 18" trailer wheels? I tore the sidewall on one of the tires on the trailer for my 2016 22 VLX. I suspect the air pressure was low and the sidewall was pinched between the rim and a rock or crack in the road. Every time we take the boat out we have to drive it up approximately 1/4 mile of gravel road with ruts. Am I better off switching to a smaller wheel and tire with more sidewall? If so, anyone interested in a trade?

https://imgur.com/jNAseMi

https://imgur.com/ucXdhLH

18" are find and tow nicer.  Under inflation will kill ANY tire.  If you read all the threads with 14" and 15" tires blowing out, you wouldn't have any interest in a downgrade.  

1 hour ago, Nitrousbird said:

18" are find and tow nicer.  Under inflation will kill ANY tire.  If you read all the threads with 14" and 15" tires blowing out, you wouldn't have any interest in a downgrade.  

I have the exact same set up that NB has shown above and love the ride. Going on 8 years on the tires which are due for replacement, but I only tow 1 3/4 miles round trip to the ramp so I can be cheap a little longer than most.

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 3:07 PM, ETN22VLX said:

I suspect the air pressure was low and the sidewall was pinched between the rim and a rock or crack in the road. Every time we take the boat out we have to drive it up approximately 1/4 mile of gravel road with ruts.

The pressure might not have been low, those low profile wheel/tire combos aren't very forgiving.  You can bend a rim easier with those also.

If I were you, I'd switch.  It's no accident commercial and trailer tires aren't manufactured with a stylish low profile.