Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2018 lsv weight added to bow

Dwake

I hope this post becomes a how to. 

2018 23 lsv.  Has 3 side cushions in front of bow.  The entire area is sealed by decking.  I dont think you could even get the bow tank out.  So i want yo get the cushions off so i can see how much void there is.  Want to put a couple bags of weight up there semi permanently.  

Anybody have any idea how to remove these.  Grab handles front cleats, and these cushions had to go on somehow.  You would need a 3ft arm to get to cushions from speaker hole.??????

Just a wild guess here but since the cushion in the front of the bow has exposed screws on the bottom (yes, those drive me nuts), I’m guessing start with that and see if the cushion can be pulled or slidden up.

Then you could reach around to find the fasteners for the cushion on each side of it, if even necessary.

5B6C7CC6-61F5-4E80-9E3D-C73A5238A7A8.thumb.jpeg.d9b8d39a62a4afb792d9e7b2dd200bae.jpeg52FB4EB7-FA81-4941-917B-FFF67A53C45E.thumb.jpeg.f13d9809de757b9be956a60854960edd.jpeg

MY boat is a 2012 and has those screws. I pulled them and i still couldn't get that cushion out. I really want to get that one out because there's lots of room up there. I stuffed 150# of lead on the back side of the tank but I'd rather have 100# up in the nose for the same effect. 

4 hours ago, NWBU said:

Just a wild guess here but since the cushion in the front of the bow has exposed screws on the bottom (yes, those drive me nuts), I’m guessing start with that and see if the cushion can be pulled or slidden up.

Then you could reach around to find the fasteners for the cushion on each side of it, if even necessary.

5B6C7CC6-61F5-4E80-9E3D-C73A5238A7A8.thumb.jpeg.d9b8d39a62a4afb792d9e7b2dd200bae.jpeg52FB4EB7-FA81-4941-917B-FFF67A53C45E.thumb.jpeg.f13d9809de757b9be956a60854960edd.jpeg

Weird I didn’t see those screws at all.  I will have to check again but I don’t know how I missed them

2 hours ago, Stevo said:

@IXFE, @Fman, @KeepingupwiththeJones And I were all talking about this at the Sacramento boat show, I believe you have to remove the speaker and reach your hand around the backside 

I actually remember learning that night those cushions are held in place with “Christmas tree” clips. 

Who’s gonna be first to just start pulling on them??

76B54F23-BAA8-4065-AFE1-9B4D074610FA.jpeg

• Like 2
1 hour ago, IXFE said:

I actually remember learning that night those cushions are held in place with “Christmas tree” clips. 

You brought it up, give it a go and let us know.

4 hours ago, IXFE said:

If you're serious (and i believe you are), i will give it a go. Any idea where they are located?  If you're purely speculating or guessing, please stop me before i rip my cushion out. With another 50-100# up there, i may not even have to run a bow bag.  That would be nice.  

Edited by isellacuras

I’m pretty sure it’s just the 2018’s that we’re that way,

i think yours has bolts that you have to reach your arms around the backside of the gunnel and loose the nut

Edited by Stevo
6 hours ago, isellacuras said:

If you're serious (and i believe you are), i will give it a go. Any idea where they are located?  If you're purely speculating or guessing, please stop me before i rip my cushion out. With another 50-100# up there, i may not even have to run a bow bag.  That would be nice.  

My “Christmas tree” comment is only referring to the new 2018+ 23 LSV. I’m not sure why you’d want to remove the back rests on your boat.  If you don’t want a bow bag just pull out the removable bow seat cushions, unscrew the carpet panel to expose the bow tank, and you’ll find space between the bow tank and the hull.  Just stuff lead bags in there.

If you still want to remove the seat back on your boat you’ll need a 7/16” ratcheting box wrench. Reach back up behind the cup holders and start feeling around for the nuts. 

Pic 1 - See the gap between the bow tank and the hull

Pic 2 - Throw back to when I pulled a handle to prove it was metal (circa 2014). People actually believed they were plastic. Lol. Anyway, the back rests are held on the same way. 

44272BC3-9DAA-4406-BAD1-690A723B8932.jpeg

22AC0FCC-90FD-428F-B1B7-12103BA77BF0.jpeg

• Like 1
2 hours ago, IXFE said:

My “Christmas tree” comment is only referring to the new 2018+ 23 LSV. I’m not sure why you’d want to remove the back rests on your boat.  If you don’t want a bow bag just pull out the removable bow seat cushions, unscrew the carpet panel to expose the bow tank, and you’ll find space between the bow tank and the hull.  Just stuff lead bags in there.

If you still want to remove the seat back on your boat you’ll need a 7/16” ratcheting box wrench. Reach back up behind the cup holders and start feeling around for the nuts. 

Pic 2 - Throw back to when I pulled a handle to prove it was metal (circa 2014). People actually believed they were plastic. Lol. Anyway, the back rests are held on the same way. 

I pulled my tank cover and couldn't get the 50# bags along the side. I tried like heck, even unbolted the tank and slid it to the side to get one bag in but couldn't slide it back to re mount it. There was no way I'd get another bag on the opposite side.  I ended up stashing 3 bags along the back edge of the tank since that space was slightly more accessible. Thanks for saving me from prying my front seat back cushion out. Lol. I will try to find the nuts next week. I need to tidy up some speaker wires up in the bow anyways. 

17 hours ago, isellacuras said:

MY boat is a 2012 and has those screws. I pulled them and i still couldn't get that cushion out. I really want to get that one out because there's lots of room up there. I stuffed 150# of lead on the back side of the tank but I'd rather have 100# up in the nose for the same effect. 

If you have the flip over bow light you can pull it to access the bow trailer loop and the back of the seats

• Like 1
16 hours ago, IXFE said:

The puffy stickers are plastic...

They still look quite nice.  They have held up better than I would have guessed.

Edited by Cory
5 minutes ago, Cory said:

They still look quite nice.  They have held up better than I would have guessed.

I will have to go look it up... guys we’re claiming the entire handle was plastic. Maybe even you?? Of all the silly things I’ve read here over the years, that’s gotta be #1. Some people are so desperate to disparage Malibu they’ll imagine just about anything  

anyway, Malibu moved away from stickers years ago. I guess they heard your cries. If it bothers you so much why didn’t you swap yours out? I’m sure you’d get that $ back when you sell it. 

44E474C0-59D1-4773-8770-579D0ABF042B.jpeg

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Cory said:

6 hours ago, IXFE said:

Malibu moved away from stickers years ago.

Gentlemen, both of you should know better....

the preferred nomenclature is “appliqué “

• Like 2

I had to pull my bow speaker the other night, so as @IXFE mentioned I peeked behind the cushions.

In short, the bow side cushions directly in front of and behind the speaker are held on by nuts. Behind those cushions, there's a 4" hole (my guess). Given the contour of the front part of the hull, there's surprisingly little space behind the cushion directly in front of the bow speaker. I have no idea what space exists behind the small cushion in the most forward part of the bow, but I suspect there's only a 4" opening there as well. In short, the speaker cut out is likely the best access point but I'm not sure if you could maneuver a 50# bag into that hole and IF you could, it likely becomes a permanent feature of the boat.

Here are a few shots.

First: bow speaker cut out looking back towards amp rack. I was surprised to see so much carpet in this area. 

IMG_2873-1.thumb.jpeg.756c7c56af96356df1ecc027c27df097.jpeg

Second: bow speaker cut out looking forward. You can see how the hull contour comes in, only leaving space between bow cleat and docking lights. 

IMG_2876-1.thumb.jpeg.28f4493335712b9c1e48a63e3cc44033.jpeg

Thanks a ton. (Little bit of weight humor)

yea hard to fit anything in that hole.  Look like the speaker cut out the largest port to put in a bag.  Thinking bags are not the answer in those locations prob have to be  smaller lead ingits warped in marine carpet.  Thinking I’ll hold off on any permanent placement and just use the bags i. The bow till I get it 100 % dialed in.

Just put them on the cushions , if in the corner of forward facing seat hardly even lose the seating surface cause you can stack them 

who sits in the bow in the hot sun?

i use mine to list and stack 5 or 6 on one corner and person could still sit next to that stack and lean comfortably on them 

OR buy some 35’s that might fit around the tank

Edited by granddaddy55