Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

A24, Misfire on Cylinder Code

We purchased a 2017 A24 last May.  We have had issues with it since the first day including the anchor light "timing out" and it alarming incessantly with a misfire on cylinder code.  I believe there were like 37 codes thrown last season alone. We have had it in for service no less than 10 times.  Every time, they feel they have fixed the issue or they can't seem to recreate the issue.  In the beginning, it always seemed to happen at the end of the day but ballasts were empty.  Towards the end of the season last year, it was starting to happen when we were surfing.  We can actually feel the boat begin to miss and can warn our our surfer but sometimes they are the first to know because you can smell a skunky smell.  The boat at this point has a rap sheet including most recently replacing the wiring harness for the motor.  First day out after replacing the harness and it is happening non-stop.  We love the damn boat but can't keep dealing with the repeated trips to the service department.  Any advice?  Any of you have any experience with the lemon law?  I am waiting on yet another call from the dealer/service dept.  It is pretty dang disheartening to spend this much money on something to bring our little family of four together but instead just brings stress.  The problem ruined a week of vacation last year and then repeated again this year.  sigh!

Misfires are usually caused by worn spark plugs, faulty plug wires or ignition coils, fuel pressure issues, or even damaged running gear or misalignment causing vibration. 

I've seen an early model 2017 Axis where the anchor light would turn off after two minutes, it had an original viper software version and was fixed with a newer version.

My advice would be to help your shop fix the issue by taking detailed notes of what is happening, when it is happening, speed, RPMs, water conditions, temperature, crew and weight onboard, amount of fuel, whatever you can do to give the best description possible.  Take photos and video, too.  When you get a MIL or service required alarm, see if you can get the SPN FMI codes from the fault alarm menu on the setup screen.

There are all kinds of things that will sound an alarm, MIL service required, auto bilge, low fuel, surf gate, wedge... Help the shop with some photos so they look for the right thing.

16 hours ago, csleaver said:

Misfires are usually caused by worn spark plugs, faulty plug wires or ignition coils, fuel pressure issues, or even damaged running gear or misalignment causing vibration. 

I've seen an early model 2017 Axis where the anchor light would turn off after two minutes, it had an original viper software version and was fixed with a newer version.

My advice would be to help your shop fix the issue by taking detailed notes of what is happening, when it is happening, speed, RPMs, water conditions, temperature, crew and weight onboard, amount of fuel, whatever you can do to give the best description possible.  Take photos and video, too.  When you get a MIL or service required alarm, see if you can get the SPN FMI codes from the fault alarm menu on the setup screen.

There are all kinds of things that will sound an alarm, MIL service required, auto bilge, low fuel, surf gate, wedge... Help the shop with some photos so they look for the right thing.

^this^