Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Active Service Alarm

Hi All,

I was out yesterday and had just started surfing when my wife tells me alarms are going off on the boat (2017 21 VLX with 19.6hrs on it). I climb back in the boat and see the active alarm on the screen. Anyone have any idea what this alarm might be and if I should stop using the boat? My dealer is 4 hours away but I am hoping their technician will come to me to complete the 10-20 hour service this week. 

Thanks. 

71FA3F56-904D-4836-B005-AFA4F03096ED.jpeg

On 7/2/2018 at 2:28 PM, gorilla said:

Service bulletin SV2017-7 is what your dealer needs to do. Had that done on mine and been fine for the past 10 hrs. 

Can you elaborate on this bulletin?  My boat is in the shop for the same thing. 

Edit:  We thought that was what is going on with my boat but my boat has the old style exhaust couplers(straight hoses with no “bump”).  The new style were added mid 2017.   My boat is a ‘17 22 VLX.

Edited by Lees23
1 minute ago, Lees23 said:

Can you elaborate on this bulletin?  My boat is in the shop for the same thing.  Thanks.

The bulletin tells the mechanic how to align your exhaust correctly to prevent reversion. Apparently, the exhaust design on the Raptors is so sensitive to routing that any missalignment will cause water to splash backwards into the cat and get the O2 sensors wet. I've had the sensors replaced 2 times because the exhaust wasn't aligned correctly at the factory. Your mechanic isn't gonna be happy (it can be a bear to align in a boat), but you "shouldn't" have any O2 sensor problems after this is done. 

5 minutes ago, gorilla said:

The bulletin tells the mechanic how to align your exhaust correctly to prevent reversion. Apparently, the exhaust design on the Raptors is so sensitive to routing that any missalignment will cause water to splash backwards into the cat and get the O2 sensors wet. I've had the sensors replaced 2 times because the exhaust wasn't aligned correctly at the factory. Your mechanic isn't gonna be happy (it can be a bear to align in a boat), but you "shouldn't" have any O2 sensor problems after this is done. 

I thought the part of the exhaust they were referring to was the preinstalled portion from Indmar?

Since the bulletin came from them it makes sense.

1 hour ago, gorilla said:

Yea, my thought is that it’s out of alignment as well, but it doesn’t have the new style couplers.  Wonder if they will install them to help them visualize alignment. 

My boat seems to be chewing through fuel the last couple of weeks, I wonder if it has something to do with this.  Error code is fuel trim high which tells me the boats is calling for abnormally high fuel which is causing the error code. 

had a similar code for 'a while' … as I have the spare o2 sensors in my tool bag I was tempted to just replace them but then I thought … let's wait so it finally disappeared after removing power for a few minutes and then 4 starts later - the error was finally gone. 

However what likely caused it was something else.  I was doing a dinner cruise and for the first part just in idle (650rpm) … but then decided to crank it up a bit (the throttle on the Supra actually stays in position so you don't need to hold it) and was going at about 1100rpm for maybe 15 - 20 minutes.  Message came on - fuel too high blah blah … tried to 'blow' out engine by going 35mph down the lake but code stayed as said initially.

So I'm not sure if my case is unique but I have refrained from doing the same thing now - either we're idling or we're going … and no alarm since ...

My alarm clears when shuts the boat down and if I only run the boat <4K rpm or accelerate slow to moderately it doesn’t come back.  The minute they I accelerate aggressively or run the boat >4K rpm it comes back. The sensors are wet when I pull them.

I initially thought this code was coming from the post cat o2 sensors but I was wrong, the code comes from the pre cat sensor much lower on the exhaust and closer to the exhaust manifold.  When the sensors were swapped, the error followed the sensor = bad sensor.   I will replace the sensor and hope that this issue is resolved.  Just for reference, the Malibu screen says Bank 1 for 4236(which is correct) and 4238(Bank 2).