Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

best choice infant life jacket

tvano

while i appreciate all of the safety tips your chafing to share let's limit this discussion to life jackets that you, personally, have seen IN ACTION: actually floating an infant stably face-up independent of adult intervention.

background:  it's been a long time since our kids were infants.  wayyyy back then finding a functional life jacket for a 4 to 10 mos. was very difficult.  we tried several different styles in the pool and, invariably, their little floaty rear end would pop up and the big head would roll face down.

foreground: yes, it's seldom necessary (but, likely, safest) NOT to take an infant out on the boat but we all want to share the family boating experience and acclimate the little guys to lake life.  

please help me find the perfect, safest life jacket for the little guys.

thanks 

Edited by tvano
ahopkins22LSV

We just bought the latest hyperlite one, https://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/shop/product_Hyperlite-Girl-s-Toddler-Indy-CGA-Vest_10382766_10208_10000001_-1_

It floats our daughter face up. Ive tested it a few different times a few different times over the last month as she has grown and gained a few pounds. Still works as of yesterday. I don’t see how she could ever float face down in it. I haven’t tested if she will roll over from face down but from her side she rolls to her back every time. She’s 10.5 months old and weighs almost 20lbs. 

Her tourso is short though so she’s very squished in it. We have yet to find one that is short enough in the tourso. Hopefully she keeps growing and gets taller because us we are holding her in the water she is absolutely miserable in it and the two others we’ve tried. 

• 1 year later...
On 7/2/2018 at 7:55 AM, tvano said:

while i appreciate all of the safety tips your chafing to share let's limit this discussion to life jackets that you, personally, have seen IN ACTION: actually floating an infant stably face-up independent of adult intervention.

background:  it's been a long time since our kids were infants.  wayyyy back then finding a functional life jacket for a 4 to 10 mos. was very difficult.  we tried several different styles in the pool and, invariably, their little floaty rear end would pop up and the big head would roll face down.

foreground: yes, it's seldom necessary (but, likely, safest) NOT to take an infant out on the boat but we all want to share the family boating experience and acclimate the little guys to lake life.  

please help me find the perfect, safest life jacket for the little guys.

thanks 

Salus Bijoux Baby. It’s Canadian Coast Guard, not US. But my river authority thought it was amazing and actually geeked on it during a routine stop. I’ve bought several for friends because they are actually sized for infants!

This is Landon 5 months old. We’re not supporting him in these pics. Just drifting him a bit. I like it because it kept clear of his chin and face while being very supportive of his head and neck. There’s nothing behind him so you can cradle him like he’s swaddled and it made him feel safe even when wearing the thing. He could flop in face first and the big float in front flipped him upright fast and the float behind his head got him clear of the water. Just an awesome design. USCG is behind the times with baby best tech. 

I’ll have to troll my photos, but I want to say he wore this until he was about 14 months old and we moved him up to the next Salus model  more traditional design but so soft and a deep V neck.  He wore that one for another few years.

9AD59BD6-0436-42F3-923E-78F90E6B533D.jpeg

E3C496A0-DC3F-4587-93D6-D4143FD56C90.jpeg

E1F8D5C1-CED1-412A-8970-67B4694735AB.jpeg

Edited by Slurpee
  • 4 weeks later...

We got a vest like what @ahopkinsVTX mentions, but our boy doesn't fit very well in it.  We keep it on, but he was a fussy mess a lot more of the time than we wanted.  This was from 1 month-5 months old.  I'm sure next season he will fill the small vest out better.

My friend has a a boy who is 2 months older and used the O'Brien Baby Vest, it seemed to fit his boy much better from 3 month on.  https://www.amazon.com/OBrien-Baby-Safe-Infant-Life-Vest/dp/B0161ULSXK/ref=asc_df_B0161ULVYQ/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312196290955&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13474399124902452693&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1014221&hvtargid=pla-569516652361&th=1

• 2 weeks later...

I did a bunch of research on this back in 2016.  I found a lot of recommendations for the Stohlquist Nemo jacket. I bought this. 

Since my kids have both hit the 30 lb mark, I purchased them Ronix Vision jackets for the 30 to 50 lb range.  They look and function just like all the other "child" size vest.  But, I like the fleece lined portion around their neck and the obnoxiously bright colors.

• 1 month later...