Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2006 Wakesetter 23LSV fo 30K. Good buy?

shiftman

Still looking for a Malibu and ran across a 06 23 LSV listed for 34k that the owner will take 30K for. The boat has no trailer, has about 735 hours, needs an oil change, tps that will need replacing soon, a ballast pump and has a bent blade on the prop from boating accident. Other than that, the owner says the boat is solid.

The owner has only owned the boat a little over a month. Owner says he and a few coworkers were joyriding last week with one buddy on the bow. Boat hit a big wave and guy on bow goes overboard. Boat runs over guy and chews his arm and upper body up pretty badly, but he lived. Owner says the boat is now a "bad memory" and wants it gone. I talked with the guy on the phone and the story sounds legit. I don't know how much hassle it would be to find a trailer, or to have some local boating outfit deliver it for me (boat is 3 hours away), but I wanted to mainly ask if the mechanical items listed would be a deal breaker if any of you guys were looking for a boat from that era. Thanks

A few red flags there.  Tps needs to be replaced soon? Either it needs to be replaced or it doesn't.  Prop messed up so a water test cant be done to see if anything else is wrong.  Price seems de ent if boat works right, finding a trailer will be tough unless you order a new one. 

In case the above isn't clear, unless you are a decent boat mechanic, don't buy a 12 year old boat that you cant do a complete water test on.  The prop vibration could mask other issues. 

Edited by oldjeep

I'd pass on it.  Now that the boat has a taste for human blood who knows what could happen next.  Seriously though, no way I'd touch an older boat I couldn't water test unless you were just paying for the hull value and the rest was considered throw away.  

The owner said a mechanic did a diagnostic on the boat and told him that the tps would likely need replaced sooner than later.

Ona purely curious note (having never owned an inboard), are inboard prop blades capable of being bent by hitting something like a body part in the water? By that I mean something that would move when impacted?

1 minute ago, shiftman said:

The owner said a mechanic did a diagnostic on the boat and told him that the tps would likely need replaced sooner than later.

Ona purely curious note (having never owned an inboard), are inboard prop blades capable of being bent by hitting something like a body part in the water? By that I mean something that would move when impacted?

Yes, they sometimes bend if you look at them funny.  Doesnt take much to bend a nibral prop.  2nd hand info from the owners mechanic is worth squat.  If it needed replacing and wasn't done then it tells you something about how boat was cared for.  And a malfunctioning tps doesnt let you do a good test of boat, also can mask other things. 

A new trailer will be 6-8k. So if you get past the mechanical issues and lack of water test budget that.  

I'd accept all that risk for maybe 20k for a good hull w good vinyl and a good compression test. 

If you're really interested in the boat then I'd want the minimum things fixed for a water test first.  

Ballast pumps is no biggie.  Easy/cheap repair.  Be aware that on a 2006, if one is out.......the others are probably soon to follow.  So in my mind, I'd plan on replacing all 8.  You might not have to, but I'd think of it that way.

I'm with Old Jeep: How is the TPS "going to need to be replaced"?  It just seems like an odd caveat.  How would he know that unless he's just assuming and making recommendations.....and if he's assuming, why didn't he have any other similar recommendations: alternator, wires, etc....

Any maintenance records?

Is this guy the second owner?

Question on the oil change: If it needs an oil change and he's only had it a month, that means the previous owner sold it to him saying the same thing......and then he was SO excited to get his new-to-him boat...............that he didn't do it?  Just makes me a little nervous.... I don't know if it's a deal breaker, just thinking out loud.

New prop is gonna run you $550.  If it is indeed repairable, that's $100

New trailer is gonna run you 6-8K like Gavin said.

I dunno.  an 06 LSV for 30k, plus trailer, plus prop, plus another grand in maintenance...  You're into it like 38-40....  I'm not sure that's that great of a deal unless you went and looked at it and EV-erything else was tip-top.  

And +1 on the water test.  I don't think its unreasonable for the buyer to demand it and for the seller to assume he's going to need to have an operational prop on the thing.....

Good luck.

The TPS info from the mechanic was given to the owner before he bought the boat. It was this guys first boat and he wanted a mechanic to look at it. 

The guy called me and offered to knock off an additional $600.00 for the prop issue. I told him that he needed to have it fixed so that folks could test drive the boat and call me back when he got it done.

That said the lack of a trailer may be enough of an obstacle for me, but I appreciate the info. You folks are simply awesome!