Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

ZF Hurth trans and vdrive fluid change

I am looking to change the trans fluid in my zf hurth I have the filter and plan to do the ATF fluid but I then hear vdrive as if they are separate fluid reservoirs and even different fluids.  What can you guys tell me about this?.   So the question: is there tranny and vdrive fluid or are they in fact the same system both in lubrication and function?.  Is it a vdrive trans or is there a trans and a vdrive?.

Sorry to basically restate my question 3 times.

Thank you for the replies 

Edited by NHolladay

The earlier 25 LSV models that I've seen have the 496 GM engine and the ZF 630IV transmission.  It is a reduction gear transmission V Drive combination, there isn't a separate vdrive like other Malibus, and that is probably what you have.  I usually remove the steel mesh filter and clean it (they are a little pricey), a 6mm allen key should fit the bolt that holds the cover on, then I put a probe tube down the filter housing hole and suck the fluid out.  That is the best way I've found to remove the most fluid.  It takes about four quarts of ATF to refill it.  The best way to get the fluid level right is to fill the transmission until it reads between the two lines on the dipstick.  Just place the dipstick in the trans, but don't thread it in.  Run the motor up to operating temperature, then shift to forward, then neutral, then reverse, then neutral, shut the motor off and check the fluid level within 30 seconds.  Then, add fluid until it is between the lines on the dipstick again.  Some people will let the boat sit overnight, then scratch a cold level mark on the dipstick at that fluid level, so you can easily check the fluid level when you want without having to warm it up.

Edited by csleaver
13 hours ago, csleaver said:

The earlier 25 LSV models that I've seen have the 496 GM engine and the ZF 430IV transmission.  It is a reduction gear transmission V Drive combination, there isn't a separate vdrive like other Malibus, and that is probably what you have.  I usually remove the steel mesh filter and clean it (they are a little pricey), a 6mm allen key should fit the bolt that holds the cover on, then I put a probe tube down the filter housing hole and suck the fluid out.  That is the best way I've found to remove the most fluid.  It takes about four quarts of ATF to refill it.  The best way to get the fluid level right is to fill the transmission until it reads between the two lines on the dipstick.  Just place the dipstick in the trans, but don't thread it in.  Run the motor up to operating temperature, then shift to forward, then neutral, then reverse, then neutral, shut the motor off and check the fluid level within 30 seconds.  Then, add fluid until it is between the lines on the dipstick again.  Some people will let the boat sit overnight, then scratch a cold level mark on the dipstick at that fluid level, so you can easily check the fluid level when you want without having to warm it up.

Thanks man, all the info was spot on. So the filter is metal and does not have an element OS side just a metal screen?.  from what I have found bit I do think the zf is a 63IV I see it rendered to as a 630IV but the 430 is listed as a similar model.  

You are right, I was wrong, the 63IV or 630IV is the transmission I was taking about, not the 430IV.  I must have got some of my think meat wires crossed.  The filter just has a fine steel mesh on the inside.  I have only replaced them when they were too difficult to clean (from too much gunk on the inside), or if it was damaged or coming apart.