Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2018 T22 Surfgate Calibration Question

My starboard gate is contacting the swim platform. I don't see how to adjust it utilizing the 'surfgate calibration' in the settings menu. All that seems to do is close gates more if they are sticking out.

The dealer did something to correct this issue at my 20 hour service but after surfing today, it is back up against the platform. This is an issue for me because I can't get my platform cover on. Any suggestions on how to correct this?

Additional question... gates were acting up a little in general today. I had to use surfband to switch surf sides as it was not responding to inputs from the dash. After a couple restarts, it worked ok. Anyone else experienced this?

Thanks Crew!

To adjust the surf gate, use the setup menu at the helm, select surf gate service, after the gates are out loosen the screw and two through bolts on the plastic gate bracket, push out on the gate to move the bracket, tighten the screw and bolts, end the service mode at the helm to make the gates go back in.  The plastic transom actuator bracket can also be adjusted if needed.  The surf gates should be at least a half inch away (or more) from the platform when they are retracted.  If the surf gates are less than a half inch away or touching the platform, or if the bolts holding the plastic brackets to the actuator are too tight, it can cause surf gate control issues.

2018 T22 having same surf gate issues, sometimes they just don't deploy all the way. I have tried the calibration and they only seem to pull in.  Can the gates be deployed out while the boats not moving, while in service mode?  I often lose control of the dash buttons too, one the wrist band is used.  Any suggestions?

Thanks

Gates will deploy while stationary in service mode.

For the ones that are too close to the platform, loosen the 3 screws on each of the triangle brackets on that side. Pull the gate into the correct position and tighten the screws up.

13 hours ago, csleaver said:

To adjust the surf gate, use the setup menu at the helm, select surf gate service, after the gates are out loosen the screw and two through bolts on the plastic gate bracket, push out on the gate to move the bracket, tighten the screw and bolts, end the service mode at the helm to make the gates go back in.  The plastic transom actuator bracket can also be adjusted if needed.  The surf gates should be at least a half inch away (or more) from the platform when they are retracted.  If the surf gates are less than a half inch away or touching the platform, or if the bolts holding the plastic brackets to the actuator are too tight, it can cause surf gate control issues.

Thanks. This did the job! No control issues this morning but didn't do a lot of switching sides. Hopefully less boat traffic tomorrow and will get more time out there..

Adjusted gates and this helped, but I think my big issue was on take off with cruise set to 10.8, I was often hitting 13+ mhp, before cruise auto engaged, tripping the gate to retract to a partial open position.  Once I started an easier launch, all worked well.

Thanks for the responses

• Like 2
  • 4 years later...
On 6/30/2018 at 9:23 PM, csleaver said:

@NJ2018T22 when referring to "the screw", which one are you referring to?  Mine does look this the image located here (https://www.malibuparts.com/collections/surf-gate/products/surf-gate-hydraulic-actuator-5615014-3) I picked-up a 2018 T22 this spring and am noticing that the starboard surf gate is nearly touching the swim platform.  The plastic plate anchoring the actuator to the hull is pushed as far to the outside as possible.  TIA

Edited by TonkaProud

Mine also contact platform on port side. Can anyone post a pics with this on which screws to adjust?  

Also thinking I lost a screw in one of the triangle mounts. Only have the 2 through bolts and top of triangle mount is open (asked on different thread). Looks like there was maybe a wood type screw that goes there and fell out. No pre drilled holes through the surf gate for that mount. 

1 hour ago, Pm22 said:

Mine also contact platform on port side. Can anyone post a pics with this on which screws to adjust?  

Also thinking I lost a screw in one of the triangle mounts. Only have the 2 through bolts and top of triangle mount is open (asked on different thread). Looks like there was maybe a wood type screw that goes there and fell out. No pre drilled holes through the surf gate for that mount. 

I sold that boat, but I adjusted it several times and it always went back to contacting the platform. The triangle brackets have slotted holes and I would bias it outward to eliminate the contact, but they always worked themselves back. Additionally, take a look and make sure your boat does not have the issue where the hydraulic actuator contacts the tie down rings when the gate is open.

I’ll give that a shot, definitely need to adjust my port side some. My other question is I only have the 2 through bolts going through the gate to the bracket. Looks like maybe there is a 3 rd screw (that would be more of a wood type screw) that fell out and would attach from bracket side to the back of gate. Location is the “ top” of the triangle bracket which is actually sideways aft if that makes sense.  Before I go buy new stainless screws want to confirm that is correct if anyone knows/ recalls what is used there.