Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Evo cover arrived and she’s a piece of art!

IXFE

Nice looking cover! that looks sweet.  I will say the oem Malibu covers they are using now are much better than previous years but still not as good as evo.  Cory does some amazing work.

• Like 2

I should have listened to TMC....my older axis cover (a22 2012) fit like a glove (no pooling) and only had one pole.  I could put it in in about a minute.  New cover (2018 t22) fits terribly takes about 5-10 minutes for me to put on.  It has 2 poles and a clip to the tower and water pools behind the windshield.  

That cover looks amazing. 

To add to the praises for Cory, I contacted him about my cover and what it would take to add the exact same cleat pass throughs.  Within a day he had emailed me back with a thorough explanation of how to create the pass through, a video of how to do it, and options to send it back to him to do the work.  Stand up guy.  

ahopkins22LSV

Cory is amazing. I’ve only ever bought a platform cover from him but it was probably the best purchasing experience I’ve ever had. 

Cover looks great!! I like that it’s a slightly darker grey then then factory covers. 

@vanamp try using no poles and just the hangtyte. You should not have water pooling with the factory cover at all.

12 hours ago, Cole2001 said:

Does it have any protection between the hull and gel?Any signs or gel coat rash or scratches? 

Like I said, I’ve owned six Evo covers and never had an issue with gel damage of any kind. 

On my 2017 25 LSV I went with the factory GL cover because so many had told me they had improved.  Like I said I think they make a nice mooring cover, but my experience towing with it wasn’t great; because it’s a little looser the wind buffeted the material creating marks on my black gel. It’s nothing you couldn’t remove with a buffer, but it can happen with that cover 

In my experience, damage isn’t caused by a lack of protection, it’s caused by excessive fabric (ie lack of tightness). No matter how hard you ratchet the strap down, the extra fabric will blow up and down hitting your gel over and over. 

Edited by IXFE
1 hour ago, IXFE said:

In my experience, damage isn’t caused by a lack of protection, it’s caused by excessive fabric (ie lack of tightness). No matter how hard you ratchet the strap down, the extra fabric will blow up and down hitting your gel over and over. 

My old Great Lakes was perfect that way, super tight, actually hard to pull around corners, I loved it. New one on isn’t so tight  so it’s kinda like ughhhh, probably because it’s just a bigger boat. So I’ll probably end up spending 3 minuets for the longer trips and wrapping rub rail area.

Just now, Cole2001 said:

My old Great Lakes was perfect that way, super tight, actually hard to pull around corners, I loved it. New one on isn’t so tight  so it’s kinda like ughhhh, probably because it’s just a bigger boat. So I’ll probably end up spending 3 minuets for the longer trips and wrapping rub rail area.

Right!!  That’s what you want, a cover that’s tough to pull around the rear corners. 

The area I had trouble with the factory GL cover was the gel just below the windshield on the side (ie a-pillar). So I would wrap the entire top deck. 

11 minutes ago, IXFE said:

Right!!  That’s what you want, a cover that’s tough to pull around the rear corners. 

The area I had trouble with the factory GL cover was the gel just below the windshield on the side (ie a-pillar). So I would wrap the entire top deck. 

All my black gel is either below the rub rail or on the back so it shouldn’t be too bad. 

6NolCGp.jpg7uyjOdE.jpg

3 hours ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

Cory is amazing. I’ve only ever bought a platform cover from him but it was probably the best purchasing experience I’ve ever had. 

Cover looks great!! I like that it’s a slightly darker grey then then factory covers. 

@vanamp try using no poles and just the hangtyte. You should not have water pooling with the factory cover at all.

Poles out look like I'll get more pooling behind windshield and a drain into my bow. 

Sharp!  That thing just goes over the rub rail.  Is it really tight enough to hold on to that "lip" when doing 75 MPH into a headwind?  Sweet looking cover but that drawstring must be like banjo-string tight to stay put, no?  What's the drawstring made of?  Spectra?  Imagine normal nylon rope which stretches is no-bueno.

Nice. Good to see he's still kickin out a killer product. I don't understand why more people don't believe. Especially after seeing pics like that Axis.

Mine is 13 yrs old. Still no issues on the gelcoat, even on the black part or the windshield frame. I have more issues from wakeboards dinging up the transom than the cover causing problems after thousands of miles.

My Evo cover was put to the test last night. We were at the lake and the forecast was for possible storms during the night.  Due to that, we put the cover on yesterday evening.  I strapped it down tight and used the hangtyte for the first time.  Around midnight we had a storm move through.  The warning on the Weather Channel was for 60 - 70 mph winds and torrential rain.  I don't know if it actually blew that hard but it rocked the camper more than I've ever experienced in the past.  We ended up getting around an inch of rain in about an hour.  The cover never moved.  When I pulled it off today, it does not appear that any water at all got into the boat. It's still just damp from when we were on the water yesterday. 

I've liked my Evo cover since I purchased it last summer. I like it even more today. :thumbup:

Edited by Kojak
  • Like 2
23 hours ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

I was actually really impressed with my T22 cover. I do not use any poles, only hangtyte. It fits very tight. My boat is stored outside on a hoist without a canopy. I get a very small amount of pooling behind the windshield when we get a really heavy downpour similar to what is in your pic @vanamp. I could eliminate that by adjusting my hoist bunks or cables to raise the front a tad, but it's such a minor thing that I haven't spent the effort.

In your picture, it looks like the cover might not be below the rub rail forward of the front cleat which might be part of your problem. I suspect that the front pole is causing that issue. Additionally, I have noticed that the hangtyte cord has to have a lot of slack when I am tightening the ratchets on the transom, otherwise the cover will sit on or slightly above the rubrail in the back. I always make sure to loosen that pull cord when I take the cover off, so it will have plenty of slack when I got to put it back on. I can put the cover on myself in about 3 minutes. 1 extra minute for the swim platform cover.

With that said, if I keep this boat long enough to need a replacement cover, I will be ordering an Evo cover for sure based on all the discussions on TMC. For now though, my factory cover works very well, boat is always bone dry, except for the little bit that sneaks in around the tower.

IXFE, have you had any vinyl discoloration issues with any of your covers. I am dealing with bad stain on most of the deck after a couple of days under cover in the Oklahoma sun. Working with Cory on a solution and he is super helpful even though this is a known Malibu problem NOT an Evolution problem. That reflective patch looks interesting. Have you (or anyone else) found a solution. I hope to find the right path before I make modifications the cover.

I have to be honest, unimpressed. It doesnt even pull down over the back of the rub rail. The Commercial Sewing covers we order from Malibu are far better looking, fit like a perfect glove, have cleat access, ratchet down straps, and a built in rope that can be pulled from the back to raise the center of the cover.

15 minutes ago, COOP said:

fit like a perfect glove, 

Go ahead  and scroll up to see my factory commercial sewing cover that fits like a 7 fingered glove.  

The Axis covers dont fit well around the tower, never have. But the Malibu covers fit great. And the Axis covers still fit pretty good, and come down over the rear rub rail.

32 minutes ago, COOP said:

The Axis covers dont fit well around the tower, never have. But the Malibu covers fit great. And the Axis covers still fit pretty good, and come down over the rear rub rail.

Eh... different design. I don’t get your obsession with covering the rear rub rail, other than looks, which is subjective.  In fact, I view it as a feature, not a flaw. But I’d youve never had one I can see why you might not get it.

BTW... everything you mentioned is on this cover. Clear access: yup. Wratchet straps: yup (better design imho). Hang tight: yup (look closer for the loop; I’m just not using it because it’s totally unnecessary with how tight the Evo is made).  And “fits like a glove” is a relative term.  Come talk to me after towing your boat 2,000 miles without a mark on the gel.  

I’ve had Commercial Sewing covers before and they never impressed me, primarily because they are not made out of Sunbrella. Heck, my Bimini is made by CS, and while I like the looks and how it holds boards, the material is nothing to write home about. At least Great Lakes uses Sunbrella, even if the fit is a little loose. 

Maybe the CS covers have gotten better.  Dunno and don’t care to try since I know Evo works and doesn’t cost any more than the factory covers.

Evo > GL > CS

ahopkins22LSV

I haven’t owned a full Evo cover but I will say the factory cover is very nice for mooring and when the boat is on the trailer sitting at my house. It’s also improved greatly every year over the past few years. Although the few times I’ve got back on the trailer 10 seconds before the rain and I covered it at the launch I could see it clearly flapping on the way home. It’s 1.8 miles to my launch and speed limit is 35. If I trailered a ton, like hours every weekend I’d blindly order a full evo without hesitation. I’ve literally never heard a bad review. 

Edited by ahopkinsTXi
Spelling... it’s the phones fault..