Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

99 Response holley carb, wont idle, fine above 2000 rpm

Hi, folks ! Been away from Malibu"s for 10 years. Bought a Prostar 197, got tired of the yearly "minor" issues, and have FINALLY come to my senses.

On to the problem I'm having right now...99 Response  with Holley 4 bbl. carb. It will not allow me to shift into forward  or reverse without stumbling badly, or dying.  It will restart immediately, but only after giving it two or three pumps of the throttle. As soon as the  RPM"s are above about 1500, it runs perfectly.  I strongly suspect something is clogged/screwed up in the low-speed "circuit" of the Holley because of the symptoms. So I went online to ID the model of the carb. Apparently, since this year-model carb was built, they have changed

the model number designation for this series of marine carb. My model number, stamped on the carb, is an R75008. Depending on which site you visit (Holley doesn't seem to have a cross ref for this carb), the model is a 4160, or a 4150, or a host of other potential candidates. , At this point, all I want to do is to POSITIVELY ID the model, so that I can youtube for either an explanation of the low-speed areas in it, or an accurate overview, for this carb specifically, of how Holley marine carbs work. I'm better-than-average with a wrench, but not so good with carbs.

HELLLPPPP  ME Mr/Mrs. Wizard.!!!

Hi Gates, If was a betting guy, would say it is a 4160, based on fact that model numbers both below and immediately above yours are 4160's. If it has a single gas feed line, to front bowl, it is 4160. If dual feed (one line to each bowl) it is 4150. Regardless, the idle and power valve circuits are in the metering block in front between the bowl and main body. Assume you already tried to adjust the 2 idle air screws to no avail.

If it was mine,  I would start by removing the front bowl and metering block, get out all the dirt, ect, hose out all the passages, then reassemble using the blue bowl gasket set from holley. I would also be looking carefully for any air leak sources. These places include 2 little cork gaskets under the electric choke body and under the secondary's vacuum chamber. Another place to look is the pcv valve, if dirty or faulty, it will produce the problem you describe. Check it by pulling off the hose with engine running, then block hose end with your thumb and see if it will now idle. Check base gasket also.

Last quick check, adjust it slow as it will stay running, them look down the 4 barrels for any visible dripping sign out of the venture areas. Should not see any. If there is dripping, then it points to leaking bowl needle valves and or leaking orings causing excessive bowl fuel height. If so, needs a full renew kit installed.

Good luck!

Here's the info from Indmar I copied from another thread: 

If your carburetor has removable float bowls on each end,  it is a Holley 4150 carb and the Indmar P/N for the kit is 611015. If  carb is a fishbowl carb ... have to take the entire top off to get at the floats/float bowls, it is a Holley 4010 and the kit is 611022.

Will it idle out of gear with no throttle input at all? If so what RPM? Is this a new problem or has the engine done this ever since you have owned it?

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

I have a new 416o fresh from Summit. Installed it with no issues until started the engine, 302HP, it started up but went right to 2200 RPM with throttle at idle and no adjust left on idle adjust screw.  Can’t find a vacuum leak. Any suggestions?

On 8/18/2021 at 9:53 AM, Richardengine said:

I have a new 416o fresh from Summit. Installed it with no issues until started the engine, 302HP, it started up but went right to 2200 RPM with throttle at idle and no adjust left on idle adjust screw.  Can’t find a vacuum leak. Any suggestions?

I would disconnect the throttle linkage and to see if it is holding it open.