Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Eco boost fans

cjtpilot

Ok thanks guys, I was wondering if I was missing something but sounds like my gas mileage is on par with everyone else. I have the 3.5L and being 4x4 and max tow package I am sure a better gear ratio would help.

I do have the 3.73 rear so I did forget to mentio that, makes my 2.7 quite peppy but may influence  my results, if 3.5’s with 4x4 are doing what I’m doing then the 3.73 is a problem for mileage but take the TC off and I could ruin a set of tires in a few lights 

@FSSPCat must have been the best drivers ed student ever, cause I do drive very slow usually 

Edited by granddaddy55

So I need a lift kit, 35’s, a bigger engine, 4x4 and need to run premium????, oh and go back to drivers ed,

all my calcs were with gallons used  and miles driven for my long trip, I did estimate my local towing mpg by seeing how low my calculated  gallons and miles avg mpg went when regular driving was mixed with weekend towing 

Edited by granddaddy55
ahopkins22LSV
On 6/30/2018 at 7:40 PM, FSSPCat said:

25mpg is my average. And that is about 65 mph on the highway. In he city I get about 18-20. I don’t have a heavy foot though. Towing my RLX through the mountains I got about 16mpg. 

Let’s see some pictures of your dash and then share your secrets. I will go buy a f150 this week if you can actually validate those numbers.

I just returned from a work trip that put 1,000 miles on my 18 F-150 3.5 EB.  I averaged 75 MPH and haven't reset my fuel consumption in the last 6 tanks of gas.  Right now it's showing 20.1.  I have the 37 gal tank, too.  I'm going to fill up this afternoon, but the last fill up showed 745 miles to empty, so that makes some sense.  I have heard from friends with the 2.7 that they are getting better economy than I, but I'm still happy with it.  If I was to get another one today, I'd go for the 2.7.  I don't tow much other than to the lake at the beginning of the season and back to the house at the end of the season.  It's a whopping 2 mile round trip twice a year with an occasional vacation trip to other lakes.  When towing I see about 12-14 depending on how heavy the right foot is. 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, inlandlaker said:

I just returned from a work trip that put 1,000 miles on my 18 F-150 3.5 EB.  I averaged 75 MPH and haven't reset my fuel consumption in the last 6 tanks of gas.  Right now it's showing 20.1.  I have the 37 gal tank, too.  I'm going to fill up this afternoon, but the last fill up showed 745 miles to empty, so that makes some sense.  I have heard from friends with the 2.7 that they are getting better economy than I, but I'm still happy with it.  If I was to get another one today, I'd go for the 2.7.  I don't tow much other than to the lake at the beginning of the season and back to the house at the end of the season.  It's a whopping 2 mile round trip twice a year with an occasional vacation trip to other lakes.  When towing I see about 12-14 depending on how heavy the right foot is. 

Dang that’s really good. I get 9-10 towing (mixed rural roads two lane highway and freeway). 

24 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

Dang that’s really good. I get 9-10 towing (mixed rural roads two lane highway and freeway). 

But I'm towing an RLXI super short distances, typically.  

ahopkins22LSV
38 minutes ago, inlandlaker said:

I totally believe this. I got very similar mileage driving round trip to Nashville last year. Wasn’t a ecoboost but makes more sense for a truck! (So not going to buy one either :lol: )

I'm averaging about 17.2 mixed on my '15 3.5 with 72k on it.  Average about 75 on the highway.  Mix is about 50/50 highway and city.  It definitely isn't a fuel saver but I am extremely happy with the engine.  Truck has been problem free outside of a couple warranty issues for the interior early on.  Knock on wood...

I have been seeing 18 .2 in AWD  just switched to 2 WD about three weeks ago and looking like I will be seeing 19 all being overall. I have not taken A Highway trip in more then two months now.  Towing is an unknown I have pulled some heavy loads and only short distance with boat or light trailer.  2017 Navigator.  In the long run I love driving the vehicle and the ability to tow heavy trailers if needed. 

23 hours ago, IXFE said:

Hop it’s not rocket science. Averaging 25 in an Ecoboost just requires a few key steps:

Start with: 2WD, Regular cab, 2.7L Eco (ie baby Eco), 3.05 real differential

Then...

* Remove bed, leave at home

* Drive downhill to work

* Drive downhill on your way home

* Drive 55 mph on the highway

* Drive 55 mph around town 

* Do not stop for red lights, stop signs, bikes, or pedestrians 

* Strap an egg to the skinny pedal; do not break

* Never tow anything, like ever 

EDIT: It also helps if driver is willing to stop eating  

See, anyone could do it!

3386B3AC-D718-4252-90EC-765ED070B08E.jpeg

This is the best post that I've seen on here in a while! I couldn't stop laughing when I read it!:lol: :werule:

The 3.5 ecoboost sucks gas but I do think it tows boat/trailers up to about 9000ish pounds very well. That low end torque is great for towing, not so good for an economical daily driver. If saving on gas is your concern, then i'm sorry but you're involved in the wrong hobby. If you want better fuel economy, buy a GM with the 5.3 and be done with it. Hats off to them for making a fuel efficient V8 compared to their competitors. The stock suspension seems to be more of the disappointment on these trucks than anything else. The half ton suspensions are getting so soft these days to tailor to the people that buy them to drive around, not tow and haul stuff.

The same applies for my fusion with the 2.0 ecoboost. It averages 27.4 mpg and that's 50% city and 50% hwy, usually driving like there's an egg taped to the gas pedal and never breaking it :lol:. The fuel economy is not that great compared to it's competitors, but when you want to pass someone quickly, you can do it! I like having the extra torque and hearing the turbo spool really is not unpleasant...

I installed the AirLift RideControl air bags and the Wireless One on-board air compressor on my 2017 F150 Ecoboost.  The suspension is 100% better for towing now and fully adjustable for the load.  My main complaint about the truck is the factory tune on the 10 speed tranny is too aggressive shifting into and holding high gears at low speeds.  I always lock out 10th gear—it’s useless.  I wish they would move those shift points up a little.  I’m considering a custom tune, but I did that on my 2011 ecoboost and had issues (though I don’t know the issues were caused by the custom tune).

5 hours ago, Cory said:

My main complaint about the truck is the factory tune on the 10 speed tranny is too aggressive shifting into and holding high gears at low speeds.  I always lock out 10th gear—it’s useless.  I wish they would move those shift points up a little.  I’m considering a custom tune, but I did that on my 2011 ecoboost and had issues (though I don’t know the issues were caused by the custom tune).

This is one of the reasons I prefer a stick shift. I'm a control freak.  I know what gear I want my transmission in better than some software developer in Detroit.

2 minutes ago, MadMan said:

This is one of the reasons I prefer a stick shift. I'm a control freak.  I know what gear I want my transmission in better than some software developer in Detroit.

You can do all the manual shifting you want on most automatics. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/4/2018 at 1:32 AM, Cory said:

I installed the AirLift RideControl air bags and the Wireless One on-board air compressor on my 2017 F150 Ecoboost.  The suspension is 100% better for towing now and fully adjustable for the load.  My main complaint about the truck is the factory tune on the 10 speed tranny is too aggressive shifting into and holding high gears at low speeds.  I always lock out 10th gear—it’s useless.  I wish they would move those shift points up a little.  I’m considering a custom tune, but I did that on my 2011 ecoboost and had issues (though I don’t know the issues were caused by the custom tune).

Doesn’t tow mode and sport mode move up the shift  points?

in tow mode if your going too slow it won’t go to 6th, I assume same with 10 speed??

20 hours ago, granddaddy55 said:

Doesn’t tow mode and sport mode move up the shift  points?

in tow mode if your going too slow it won’t go to 6th, I assume same with 10 speed??

It does, but tow mode is not ideal for regular driving.  It applies engine braking down grades, when you want to coast.  Tow mode is decent for towing, but also suffers a little from lugging the engine at times.

With the 10 speed you need to lock out 9 and 10th even in tow mode, or you’ll smoke the transmission. This is what happened on my 17.

7 minutes ago, surfdude said:

With the 10 speed you need to lock out 9 and 10th even in tow mode, or you’ll smoke the transmission. This is what happened on my 17.

I have a 2019 Sierra with the 6.2 and 10 speed coming in August, I hope this isn't going to be a future issue with it.

On 6/29/2018 at 1:16 PM, 95echelon said:

So I just decided between a used Yukon XL Denali and one of the "new style" expeditions. i rented the expedition and liked the interior and the double moonroof for sure but it was smaller of course than the denali XL. Both cars had similar power (in the 400's for HP/TQ).

I ended up with the Denali and I am seeing 14ish city and 22ish highway. Have not towed with it distance yet. I REALLY loved that expedition, I wish it were longer. However if the mileage is really that bad I am surprised.

Did u look at the expedition max? It’s similar in size to the Denali xl and the expedition has the best tow rating of any full size suv. 

I’m on my second 3.5 EB, I had a 13, that my dad now has and now I have a 15. Best trucks I’ve ever had. (Never had a diesel) That little motor is a beast. Pulls my a24 with no problem at all.

1 hour ago, Cboom12 said:

Did u look at the expedition max? It’s similar in size to the Denali xl and the expedition has the best tow rating of any full size suv. 

I rented a 2018 Expedition Max fully loaded for 7 days. Nice vehicle, it felt a bit utilitarian compared to the Denali. Heads and shoulders above a suburban for sure though. I think the fair comparison would be to a Navigator and since I was buying CPO that was not in the cards. I would have given the expedition a MUCH harder look if it had better storage behind the 3rd row. It was not large enough for my great dane... However the third row legroom was much better than the GM products (burb, yukon, escalade) which I think most would prefer. The expedition had a better ride because of the independent suspension but was a bit louder inside than the Denali. The Denali got better MPG (i own a 2015 and I am getting 20-21 MPG at 80-83 MPH). The ford engine was very cool and had gobs of power as I rented the higher HP version, but I never got to tow with it. i have towed with an F150 that had the 3.5 and it towed great. Because the denali is Naturally Aspirated it pulls like a freight train boat or no boat, but it lacks the 10spd tranny in earlier models (they added the 2 gears in 18 I think). I liked the infotainment better in the ford by a small bit, along with the selectable interior colors and the giant moonroof too.

Lots of small differences but it all came down to the dog... I like my XL Denali, and if I had no dog and someone switched it for an Expedition max in my garage overnight I probably wouldn't be bothered to switch back.

PS - I don't know if you can get a HUD in the expedition, that was by far my favorite Denali feature, and i'll never buy another vehicle without it. I never need to take my eyes off the road.

Edited by 95echelon