Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Engine Bogging Down

So I bought my first boat, a 2003 Response and love it so far.  I have one issue.  The engine after it has been running for 30 mins to 1 hour at around 30-35 mph it will bog down and start dying, almost like it is starving from fuel.  I bring it back to idle and push it back up and it will work fine and then 15-20 seconds later it does the same thing.  After sitting for around 30 mins it will take a long time until it does it again.  I can ride it at wakeboarding speeds around 20 MPH and it has never done it.  I changed the fuel filter and added marine stabil to it with no changes.  Any ideas what is causing this?

I seem to recall a few threads like this and it was a bad coil causing it?  Had to do with coil heating up and failing intermittently, but usually works when the coil was cold/cool.

It's worth testing the fuel pressure while the problem is happening.  The 2003 Monsoon engine has the fuel Schrader port under the edge of the intake plenum, so this will be hard to do unless you use a tire chuck type adapter....

Google an AC Delco D503A ignition coil .  Thats what I tracked down for my 03 vlx with monsoon.  I’d guess its the same on a Response.   I’m not sure about a condenser.  That may be the only thing I haven’t replaced if its there. 

Thank you. I ordered one.  I’m a amateur at working on engines so excuse the question.  When I replace the coil I know it says to disconnect the battery. If I have a dual battery system with the Perko switch in off does that kill the electrical downstream or do I need to disconnect both as well ?

• 11 months later...
On 7/6/2018 at 6:26 PM, Ryder1587 said:

Thank you. I ordered one.  I’m a amateur at working on engines so excuse the question.  When I replace the coil I know it says to disconnect the battery. If I have a dual battery system with the Perko switch in off does that kill the electrical downstream or do I need to disconnect both as well ?

Did this fix the issue?

I would suspect your fuel pump is starting to fail causing pressure drops. Had one similar to this and took an hour of test driving with a fuel pressure gauge on it. It wound randomly drop to 20 psi causing the boat to want to die. 

• 1 month later...