Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

M235 sale price discussion

M235Ozark

There is a complete lack of information out there about what the actual sale price of a new M235, so i figured i would start a thread for folks who are interested in buying this beast of a boat to know what kind of room is available when negotiating.  I have a 2017 M235 that i bought just over a year ago. The build sheet for my boats says the MSRP is just shy of $226k.  After negotiation, i ended up paying just over $168k for the boat, and that's including an extra $5k for a second set of board racks and a second sub added to the sound system. I went through the same negotiation process with a G at the same time (I was indifferent about which boat i wanted and wanted to know for myself if there was that big of a difference between the prices of these two awesome boats) and the G was only a couple thousand less than what i paid for the M. With the G, i would have had to spend over $7k to get the stereo system on par with what i got with the M, IMO.  There you have it, one persons actual experience of what it costs to get into a M.  So next time you hear someone say that the M sells for $200k +, you will know that this simply isnt the case. 

FWIW, I'm not really sure what Malibu's goal is with the pricing strategy of the M. I personally feel that the MSRP of the M scares most people off from even considering it. Maybe they price it that way so that they dont sell alot of them as i am sure the M is much more labor intensive to build? Maybe its because this is Malibu's top of the line boat so they want to try to snag a top of the line margin (like a lot of high end car manufactures do)?     There has to be a valid reason why they price their top end boat's MSRP so much higher than everyone else.  

• Like 1

From what I have seen posted in the past, I don’t think I remember most people arguing that you can buy an M235 for 160-170k. That’s not an unheard of discount on a Bu. I think where the discrepancy comes, is that you don’t think you can get a similar discount percentage on a G, or XStar. At the end of the day, dealers are going to be all over the place on this. That said, Bu, MC, and CC run extremely similar margins, and the M235 is on the same margin % schedule as the rest of the Bu lineup. 

You might have not received as good of a discount offer on the G, but others have, and the average is going to be about the same. At the end of the day, the G is going to be significantly cheaper on average. The XStar is as well. 

This is the thing with the M235 though....... it is a bad a** boat, but it is not very popular. Nobody can argue the performance. It has it. But they aren’t exactly selling like G series boats, and the dealers on both sides know that. The nautique dealer is going to push for a stronger price because they can. The Malibu dealer is going to push the 235 out the door at a bigger discount because they know they should, if they want to move it in reasonable amount of time.

its no different than a Bu dealer selling a 23LSV, 25LSV, or a VLX. Those boats FLY off the shelf, with WAY less effort. They are crazy popular, and dealers can stay firmer on pricing. Some still go at crazy deals, but on average, they can maintain a better margin percentage. Same thing goes for G series boats. They move pretty easy, and dealers don’t regularly discount to 30%..... because they don’t need to.

just my educated opinion on the matter......

• Like 2
1 minute ago, TenTwentyOne said:

This is the thing with the M235 though....... it is a bad a** boat, but it is not very popular. Nobody can argue the performance. It has it. But they aren’t exactly selling like G series boats, and the dealers on both sides know that.

I'd be curious to know how many they actually sell.  Now admittedly nautiques are not very popular around here, I see very few.  Local dealer sure seems to go through a lot of M235's

24 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

I'd be curious to know how many they actually sell.  Now admittedly nautiques are not very popular around here, I see very few.  Local dealer sure seems to go through a lot of M235's

Sure, there will be variances by area.......... but that would be like me saying that I don’t think Malibu sells many 23LSVs, because I only know of one within a 100 mile radius, and it was 4 years ago that I saw any new Malibu here...... and at the same time, There are all kinds of G23s on the lakes around here. Actually, if I was to use regional observations, I’d have thought Supra/Moomba outsold everything 10:1. They are very popular around here.

nonetheless, The nationwide averages are pretty obvious, and I know that the 23 LSV sells better than anything, even though Bu is very unpopular in this area. Go 150 miles south east of my area, and Malibu easily outsells everything in the area.

last time I did the factory triple tour (Bu, SC, and MC) was feb 2017...... but at that time, they weren’t shy about saying that they didn’t build many M235s, and expressing the fact that they couldn’t keep up with the demand on the traditional bow Malibu’s.

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, TenTwentyOne said:

I think where the discrepancy comes, is that you don’t think you can get a similar discount percentage on a G, or XStar. At the end of the day, dealers are going to be all over the place on this. That said, Bu, MC, and CC run extremely similar margins, and the M235 is on the same margin % schedule as the rest of the Bu lineup. 

You might have not received as good of a discount offer on the G, but others have, and the average is going to be about the same. At the end of the day, the G is going to be significantly cheaper on average. The XStar is as well. 

This is the thing with the M235 though....... it is a bad a** boat, but it is not very popular. Nobody can argue the performance. It has it. But they aren’t exactly selling like G series boats, and the dealers on both sides know that. The nautique dealer is going to push for a stronger price because they can. The Malibu dealer is going to push the 235 out the door at a bigger discount because they know they should, if they want to move it in reasonable amount of time.

its no different than a Bu dealer selling a 23LSV, 25LSV, or a VLX. Those boats FLY off the shelf, with WAY less effort. They are crazy popular, and dealers can stay firmer on pricing. Some still go at crazy deals, but on average, they can maintain a better margin percentage. Same thing goes for G series boats. They move pretty easy, and dealers don’t regularly discount to 30%..... because they don’t need to.

just my educated opinion on the matter......

My boat was a special order.  The dealership didnt have my very specific color scheme (a color scheme that matches all the boats i have owned throughout the years), so they werent trying to push it out the door.  I had to wait 6 months to get it built and delivered. 

I am fairly certain i got the best number the dealer had for the G, it took a few weeks to get them down to where i got them.  With that said, it is very dealer specific and Nautique dealers probably dont feel the need to discount their boats as much as other brands because of its solid reputation as being a premium wakeboard boat.   I cant comment on what the average M deal looks like, i am just commenting on what i experienced.  I found that the price between the two boats was closer than i originally thought it might be.  

I know i am probably in the minority here, but I've never seen a G on the water in my neck of the woods.  Its all LSV's and Mastercrafts.  

• Like 2

Every dealer is different and agrees to different margins. Some dealers want to sell more boats at a lower margin. Some want to sell less boats at MSRP. Some go so far as to sell boats right at cost, to gain market share.

1 hour ago, M235Ozark said:

My boat was a special order.  The dealership didnt have my very specific color scheme (a color scheme that matches all the boats i have owned throughout the years), so they werent trying to push it out the door.  I had to wait 6 months to get it built and delivered. 

I am fairly certain i got the best number the dealer had for the G, it took a few weeks to get them down to where i got them.  With that said, it is very dealer specific and Nautique dealers probably dont feel the need to discount their boats as much as other brands because of its solid reputation as being a premium wakeboard boat.   I cant comment on what the average M deal looks like, i am just commenting on what i experienced.  I found that the price between the two boats was closer than i originally thought it might be.  

I know i am probably in the minority here, but I've never seen a G on the water in my neck of the woods.  Its all LSV's and Mastercrafts.  

Well, for what it’s worth, I got a pretty good deal on my Nautiques, and I get a better deal on my MCs. I didn’t get some crazy deal on my G23s, but they knew they had to be competitive for me to switch from MC. Both of my G’s were hard loaded with every option, all flake, Hull, and Deck color options, and the supercharged 550...... and they were both 30k less than you paid for your M235. My XStar also has hull color, deck color, 3 flakes, power tower, dockstar, hydraulic steering, and every single other option, except I did the Ilmore 6000 rather than the 7.4 (so, subtract 4K)...... and it was also 138k.

i can admit that I definitely get a better discount than most on the MC. That deal isn’t typical.

all of my boats were special order as well.

Edited by TenTwentyOne
48 minutes ago, Chrisjjbrown said:

A 2017 G23 in the 160's ........ what say you @bamaboy you think he got their best deal.

Keep in mind the G I priced out was fully loaded so that it was as close to the M as possible. Go big or go home right?? 

I’m really curious what some of you G owners got your fully loaded G’s for. I recognize that there might have been more wiggle room with some other dealers, just not the one I was dealing with. 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, M235Ozark said:

Keep in mind the G I priced out was fully loaded so that it was as close to the M as possible. Go big or go home right?? 

I’m really curious what some of you G owners got your fully loaded G’s for. I recognize that there might have been more wiggle room with some other dealers, just not the one I was dealing with. 

Hey,

I applaud this thread with real numbers being thrown around versus the normal "I got a really good deal trust me".    

It has taught me no matter what type of deal I can get on an M235, g23, or xstar ..good, bad, or bro deal.... it won't be enough.... sigh 

Edited by Chrisjjbrown

When shopping last year i was working with Nautique and Centurion.  The G23 was coming in at 135 not crazy loaded but far from stripped down.  I ended up going with the fully loaded RI257 at 139k.  The other piece was trade at the centurion dealer was 10k more so that made huge difference. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, spikew919 said:

On the nautique prices, is that with trailer? Dealer I was talking to when I bought was pricing without trailer. 

All of mine had trailers.

that is one thing though...... I didn’t bling my trailers, so that saves a little compared to the 235. Mine were just tandem axles with seadek step pads, spare tire, and transom straps.

1 hour ago, spikew919 said:

On the nautique prices, is that with trailer? Dealer I was talking to when I bought was pricing without trailer. 

My boats get trailered 7-8000 miles a year so tri-axle with 18" wheels. 

1 hour ago, Chrisjjbrown said:

Hey,

I applaud this thread with real numbers being thrown around versus the normal "I got a really good deal trust me".    

It has taught me no matter what type of deal I can get on an M235, g23, or xstar ..good, bad, or bro deal.... it won't be enough.... sigh 

I think people are concerned that they are going to find out that they got screwed, which will somehow make them enjoy their boat less.  I personally think its helpful to know what everyone else is paying, that way we all know what is possible when negotiating for our next boat in the future. I am kinda surprised that there isn't a topic that's pinned to the top of these threads where everyone shares their numbers.  Makes us all more informed buyers.  

• Like 2

G23 at 135k is a damn good deal from what I have heard from a few buyers.

Also, to load it up and put the Supercharged engine in it (which is the only way for the engine package to match the M235) I'm sure is $12-15k.

2 hours ago, TenTwentyOne said:

Well, for what it’s worth, I got a pretty good deal on my Nautiques, and I get a better deal on my MCs. I didn’t get some crazy deal on my G23s, but they knew they had to be competitive for me to switch from MC. Both of my G’s were hard loaded with every option, all flake, Hull, and Deck color options, and the supercharged 550...... and they were both 30k less than you paid for your M235. My XStar also has hull color, deck color, 3 flakes, power tower, dockstar, hydraulic steering, and every single other option, except I did the Ilmore 6000 rather than the 7.4 (so, subtract 4K)...... and it was also 138k.

i can admit that I definitely get a better discount than most on the MC. That deal isn’t typical.

all of my boats were special order as well.

You got over 35% off on your star? Something doesnt sound right... just sayin. 

2 minutes ago, SurfinLSV said:

You got over 35% off on your star? Something doesnt sound right... just sayin. 

34% off.

like I said, not a typical deal. Dealer still made a little money, just not as much as usual (actually, about the same net profit as moving an average NXT22). 

For anyone who has not done the math, Ozark got 26% off of MSRP (226 X .74 = 168). 

But I think it has recently been revealed that MSRP numbers can be made up on the spot from the dealer, so may not be the same nationwide, which is really important on a national board like this.  

Thanks Ozark!  It is good to see real numbers out there.  The Nautique now has a thruster, which is a 9K option, which has not been available for Malibu, yet. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, TallRedRider said:

For anyone who has not done the math, Ozark got 26% off of MSRP (226 X .74 = 168). 

But I think it has recently been revealed that MSRP numbers can be made up on the spot from the dealer, so may not be the same nationwide, which is really important on a national board like this.  

Thanks Ozark!  It is good to see real numbers out there.  The Nautique now has a thruster, which is a 9K option, which has not been available for Malibu, yet. 

I heard about that thruster but had no idea it was a $9k option.  Wow, that seems high.  These boats only take a couple weekends to learn how to park, would rather spend that $9k on an engine upgrade.  

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, TenTwentyOne said:

34% off.

like I said, not a typical deal. Dealer still made a little money, just not as much as usual (actually, about the same net profit as moving an average NXT22). 

Wow thats impressive. My dealer isnt gonna be happy when I am ready to upgrade again. I didnt get anywhere close to that and thought I was doing ok. 

18 minutes ago, SurfinLSV said:

Wow thats impressive. My dealer isnt gonna be happy when I am ready to upgrade again. I didnt get anywhere close to that and thought I was doing ok. 

Like I said, it’s not a typical deal. From what I know, 25-28% is more typical for a great deal. I help that dealer A LOT, and they return the favor with a heavy discount. My Star should have been around 148k. The discount on my G’s was 27%.

on your next purchase, I’d shoot for that range, if you didn’t get that this time. (25-28%).

I wasn’t aware you bought a Star as well. How are you liking it?

5 hours ago, oldjeep said:

2 weeks ago a buddy at the local dealer told me he sells 4 a year.  2 as special order and 2 demo boats that he later has to move.  Says its $30k over a 25LSV and a harder sell being that its a smaller boat.  I see more and more Gs rolling out but still few compared to the monster that is Malibu in our neck of the woods.   The 25s and 23s fly off the shelf though.   

• Like 1