Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

08 VTX Pop-Up Cleats Placement Template?

So im looking at ordering 6 Malibu 6" pop-up cleats from bakes - https://www.bakesonline.com/cleat-6-malibu-boats-engraved-stainless-steel-boat-cleat.html

Im assuming these are what would have came on the boat if ordered with them...

Is there some sort of template I can purchase so I know were to add them as they were from the factory? its not like I have another 08 vtx wakesetter I can look at. Any information is much appreciated.

Essentially, you want them at the wider point of the boat in the front, where you could easily reach over the windshield to grab one if you needed.  For the back, you could always use a lifting eye to tie up with all the way back, so I'd aim towards the edge of the back seat wrap around.  Think convenience to reach them here.  The picture above would be a good guide.  There is no specific or right place, as the guys at the factory just eyeballed it and went.  I would make sure you are the same distance from the rubrail for each and just go with it.  Just check that you can easily get a wrench behind your mounting spot without a lot of work to tighten the bolts down.  MAKE SURE YOU CHAMFER THE HOLES!!!  Grab some sandpaper and take the edge away or you risk getting spider cracks

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, JeffK said:

I would make sure you are the same distance from the rubrail for each and just go with it. 

I'm not sure that is possible due to the way the hull changes from front to back.  If you notice in the picture above, the front cleats are much further from the rub rail than the rear ones.  I'd assume that is so that the backing plates both avoid the diagonal "step" in the hull side.

Definitely chamfer the holes, the typical way is with a larger drill bit run in reverse.

Edited by oldjeep
4 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

I'm not sure that is possible due to the way the hull changes from front to back.  If you notice in the picture above, the front cleats are much further from the rub rail than the rear ones.  I'd assume that is so that the backing plates both avoid the diagonal "step" in the hull side.

Definitely chamfer the holes, the typical way is with a larger drill bit run in reverse.

You may be right on that one.  Maybe just aim for level as the boat sits level? 

In any case, there's nothing calculated about the way the factory does it.  I'm sure they have a jig or sorts, but it is all eyeballed. 

On the chamfer - I've either used a hole saw, followed by a step bit or I've used the hole saw and heavy grit sandpaper.  You just have to make sure you don't go fast and slide out across the fiberglass

For whatever it is worth, here is the measurements off of mine.  The one that you can't see the end of the tape is hooked to the end of the windshield side.  These are all right side of boat.  You can tell they are hand mounted as neither one is very parallel with the rub rail.  Vertical measurements are off the top of the rub rail.

IMAG0290.jpg

IMAG0291.jpg

IMAG0292.jpg

IMAG0293.jpg

Thank you guys for the quick replies and detailed information and pictures oldjeep!   So a quick google image i notice only 2 on each side? no one puts them up front to protect the boat at a dock or being tied up to another boat? I ask because especially when i launch the boat i tie a rope to the hand rail to the front for the girlfriend to help keep the boat straight and the other rope on the eye ring in the back (used to use tower but didnt feel comfy doing that and it always slid up) Maybe the one under windshield when having the fender bumper on has enough spacing so the front part dont get damaged? Just trying to get the just of this, Its a new boat to me with only 120 hrs on it and id like to keep it that way and dont even want the rub rail (chrome) getting dented or scratched. 

No reason you couldnt put more on if you want.  On the rare occasion  i want a front rope i just use the bow eye.  My wife drives the boat on and off trailer, so we dont have the issue you are describing

Edited by oldjeep

The issue is only when I'm launching it's a very steep launch and lots of choppy water to deal with so when I back down to unload or pick up is the problem. Example I'm launching the boat I back it down until fenders are barely underwater I get out and unhook, I have to manually push the boat out further to get it off the trailer still. I know I could go a little deeper to prolly prevent that thus the need for possibly a front cleat to be able to pull it back to the dock easier while I'm parking. The other issue is when I'm loading; the boat sits so low in the water in the front that when I back the trailer down she has to push the boat way back so it dont hit the trailer. Then once the trailer is submerged she can start pulling the front rope hand rail to guide the boat on the bunks then hook front eye and pull rest of the way. 

But I guess I could add the 4 with your measurements and go from there as I'm going off topic just a bit.. I never had an issue with the i/o boat I own. But this is like I said something I want to keep pristine so wanted people opinions on what to do to not get the chrome all beat up. Thanks again for the replies!

FWIW I had the factory set of 2 on each side and added a 3rd in the middle.  It has come in very handy especially when tying up with other boats and no way I wouldn't have it in the future with any new boat purchase.  Having said that, if the forward cleat was positioned better I might be fine with just 2 on each side. 

I also added a bow cleat.  A "fun" way to start drilling holes in your boat.  Measure several times and pre-drill with a smaller drill bit so that it doesn't walk on you and have crooked cleats.  For sure chamfer the holes and buy the backing plates.

9 minutes ago, formulaben said:

FWIW I had the factory set of 2 on each side and added a 3rd in the middle.  It has come in very handy especially when tying up with other boats and no way I wouldn't have it in the future with any new boat purchase.  Having said that, if the forward cleat was positioned better I might be fine with just 2 on each side. 

I also added a bow cleat.  A "fun" way to start drilling holes in your boat.  Measure several times and pre-drill with a smaller drill bit so that it doesn't walk on you and have crooked cleats.  For sure chamfer the holes and buy the backing plates.

I'm not brave enough to have a bow cleat.  My 2 bayliner runabouts had cleats up there and I cannot count the number of times I stepped on them or got my shorts hung up on them.  (They were not pop ups)