Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Best Wakesurf storage/travel bag

Nitrousbird

Wife just ordered me a Soulcraft Emily (yes yes yes yes yes...let's just say the family missed father's day and I must has been a decent enough dad this year)!

I need a bag.  I just have a sock for my main board (Triple X Nitro), and I think I'll need a bit more protection for this board.  Any suggestions?  My main riding buddy has a Ronix bag for his massive Inland Surfer Red Rocket, but that board is a lot bigger than a 4'8" Emily.  It is a nice bag though.  Any other suggestions?  I don't want some cheap bag that falls apart in a year.  

My use case is long distance traveling with the board twice a year (back of the truck typically) plus wall rack storage in the garage.

my SC has been hella more durable than my XXX (which was a complete pos).  I've never had mine in a bag.  I'm not saying it's a bad idea, just that it might not be as necessary as you might think.... unless you also plan to rock the bag on the water too?  My board does have a little sun fading after 5 seasons.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

my SC has been hella more durable than my XXX (which was a complete pos).  I've never had mine in a bag.  I'm not saying it's a bad idea, just that it might not be as necessary as you might think.... unless you also plan to rock the bag on the water too?  My board does have a little sun fading after 5 seasons.

My Triple X has a lot of use and a bit of abuse on it, so I'm not overly concerned about the wear on it.  Mostly just a few chips on the edges.  Nothing I'd call a POS.

FAR more durable than my buddy's Inland Surfer.  You look at it wrong and it is missing a chunk...he has has to patch the crap out of that board.

I figured if I'm getting a near $1000 board the least I could do is spend a few bucks protecting it. 

I had the glass XXX (slasher?) not the nitro, which is compression molded IIRC.  I should've taken pics of it before I got rid of it.... the whole board had twisted/warped in addition to dents and dings everywhere.

I don't know if it would fit your board, but this is the one we bought for my wifes board.  Very heavy padding. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075ZDBYXB/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edit, looks like they make a bigger size too

https://www.ronixwake.com/Product/2018-dempsey-surf-bag/

Edited by oldjeep
5 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Edit, looks like they make a bigger size too

https://www.ronixwake.com/Product/2018-dempsey-surf-bag/

That's the bag my buddy has.  It's huge but a nice bag and I'm considering it.  They go for about $80 shipped it seems.

5 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

I like that bag a lot.  The $19 shipping for a bag seems like a bit of bait and switch on the pricing.  Probably a top contender.

I just picked up a Dakine cyclone. It's a solid bag. A bit bulky but it's good in that i can fit my soulcraft and Victoria in it atthe same time and throw them in the truck without worrying about them. Only bad thing compared to the bag that i made is that i have to remove the fins if i want to zip it up. I usually just leave the zipper open and fins on. If i were to travel with boards (which i would consider with that bag) i would remove fins and add some padding with a towel or 2. I ordered the 5'8" which was the only one that would fit my extra wide board. 

https://www.dakine.com/en-us/bags/travel-bags/surfboard-bags/5-8-cyclone-hybrid-surfboard-bag/

Edited by isellacuras

Contact Jeff at Soulcraft. His bags he sells for his boards are awesome. I have two of them and they are excellent (for back of my truck too). Padding throughout, with some nice straps and carrying handles. 

On 6/27/2018 at 6:16 PM, Nitrousbird said:

That's the bag my buddy has.  It's huge but a nice bag and I'm considering it.  They go for about $80 shipped it seems.

I like that bag a lot.  The $19 shipping for a bag seems like a bit of bait and switch on the pricing.  Probably a top contender.

No matter how you slice it, a bag ends up shipping in a box that is 24-26" wide or long, so shipping does add up. The dimensional weight is the killer just like boards. We offer a 10% discount code, and we rebate any difference in shipping cost greater than $1-2. 

For instance if the system charges or estimates $15 in shipping but we were able to ship the item for $10 we rebate the $5. People are always surprised to receive small rebates, but for us it is just part of good customer service.

Just send us a message and we can get you set up. 

Nick

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/27/2018 at 7:43 AM, Nitrousbird said:

My Triple X has a lot of use and a bit of abuse on it, so I'm not overly concerned about the wear on it.  Mostly just a few chips on the edges.  Nothing I'd call a POS.

FAR more durable than my buddy's Inland Surfer.  You look at it wrong and it is missing a chunk...he has has to patch the crap out of that board.

I figured if I'm getting a near $1000 board the least I could do is spend a few bucks protecting it. 

On 6/26/2018 at 8:02 PM, Nitrousbird said:

Wife just ordered me a Soulcraft Emily (yes yes yes yes yes...let's just say the family missed father's day and I must has been a decent enough dad this year)!

I need a bag.  I just have a sock for my main board (Triple X Nitro), and I think I'll need a bit more protection for this board.  Any suggestions?  My main riding buddy has a Ronix bag for his massive Inland Surfer Red Rocket, but that board is a lot bigger than a 4'8" Emily.  It is a nice bag though.  Any other suggestions?  I don't want some cheap bag that falls apart in a year.  

My use case is long distance traveling with the board twice a year (back of the truck typically) plus wall rack storage in the garage.

I was at Jeff’s shop today picking up my SC, and he told me he will have some new branded bags any day now.  He told me to check back in next week.  Jeff was nice enough to lend me a brand new bag he had laying around the shop, until the new shipment arrives.  If you have not purchased one yet,  you should call him next week.

Edited by SCMike
17 hours ago, SCMike said:

I was at Jeff’s shop today picking up my SC, and he told me he will have some new branded bags any day now.  He told me to check back in next week.  Jeff was nice enough to lend me a brand new bag he had laying around the shop, until the new shipment arrives.  If you have not purchased one yet,  you should call him next week.

Already scored a Chaos bag.

• 6 months later...

In a wakesurf bag, can a board be safely checked aboard a plane flight? If not, is there another way to take them aboard a plane? I have an inland surfer blue lake...I have not purchased a bag yet.

11 minutes ago, Argonaut said:

In a wakesurf bag, can a board be safely checked aboard a plane flight? If not, is there another way to take them aboard a plane? I have an inland surfer blue lake...I have not purchased a bag 

I think if it goes on the plane it needs a ticket and a way to be safely strapped down.

We flew with ours in a phase5 bag and notched pool noodles around the whole board.  It cost $150 to check it because it was a surf board.  

After that we bought a giant kite board bag that has the word "golf" in big letters on it.  They did raise their eyebrows a bit but golf clubs fly free.  Not sure if it will work every time or if they can request to open it but the bag paid for itself in one trip. 

44 minutes ago, Argonaut said:

In a wakesurf bag, can a board be safely checked aboard a plane flight? If not, is there another way to take them aboard a plane? I have an inland surfer blue lake...I have not purchased a bag yet.

I also have the phase 5 bag and fly a ton with my custom board. I generally stuff a vest up front, use a couple board socks and wrap in towels/wetsuits so it’s all super padded. I can also fit a skim board in it as well, just gotta make sure it’s protected. It’s nice having a separate compartment for sunscreens and what not as well. 

Choose your airline wisely and be prepared to pay if you don’t. Assuming you aren’t in Canada but if you are, WestJet calls them standard bags and takes excellent care.  Delta charged me an extra 120(cad) last time. 

https://phase5boards.com/products/deluxe-coffin-board-bag-black?variant=2124638209

golf to wave baggage fees and have tons of room. 

https://www.liquidforce.com/luggage-wheeled-golf-bag-xl.html