Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

VIN Decoder

macdonjo

What website do you guys use to decode VINs for Malibu boats?

I won my boat on an auction, and advertised as a 2014. Later on I saw the last 2 digits of the VIN were 15 so I've always believed it was actually a '15.

This is my VIN: rRMxNKT.png

What year is it?

I think it's a model year 15, built in 14.

Edited by macdonjo
1 hour ago, macdonjo said:

What website do you guys use to decode VINs for Malibu boats?

I won my boat on an auction, and advertised as a 2014. Later on I saw the last 2 digits of the VIN were 15 so I've always believed it was actually a '15.

This is my VIN: rRMxNKT.png

What year is it?

I think it's a model year 15, built in 14.

That most likely is an I415.

A=Jan

B=Feb

Etc.

I415= Built in Sept, 2014 as a 2015 model.

S=23LSV, 3552=3,352nd boat built in sequence.

MB2=Malibu Boats.

• 1 year later...

any site I could decode HIN MB2Z6903E000?  Was told it is a Sunsetter VLX, but the engine is in the rear of the boat, not centered (as the Indmar manual shows for a 2000).

39 minutes ago, wtblack said:

any site I could decode HIN MB2Z6903E000?  Was told it is a Sunsetter VLX, but the engine is in the rear of the boat, not centered (as the Indmar manual shows for a 2000).

Sunsetter and a vlx are 2 different boats.  If the engine is in the back, probably a vlx. 

ahopkins22LSV
17 hours ago, wtblack said:

16 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Sunsetter and a vlx are 2 different boats.  If the engine is in the back, probably a vlx. 

Not according to our reasources:

@wtblack the link above may help answer some of you're questions. The Malibu Manual is linked there.

As shown above, the Sunsetter VLX is a VLX as far as you expect.  It's just a previous version.

In the early years before V-drives, there was the Response, Response LX, Sunsetter LX, etc.   To make it a V-drive, they added a V and called it the Sunsetter VLX.  

The Sunsetter VLX was 1996-2001

As marketing got involved and they had one-off names like Sunkicker, they ended up dropping the Sunsetter, and just using the VLX.

The hull number listed above is a SVLX that was delivered to Atlanta Inboard back when Bryan owned it.  It's polo green/white, Monsoon 325, SA boatmate trailer.

This might help you guys on older models.  This is all the letter designators, used over and over again.

Original with misprints - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RYBF2AWy6f_BOHMpxz-uBMXv16u6YeL3/view?usp=sharing

EDIT - Here is an updated list with the letters and dates corrected -

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TWDS7rR1WKB4WPgpWdCRppCR4HIRNurQ/view?usp=sharing

Edited by SmoothWaterMan

Thanks so much!  I have been going to resources for 2000 VLX but being Monsoon 325 makes all the sense in the world now, just in the rear.

The link in the 2000 resources has Indmar for engine in the center...any ideas where I can find  the rear V drive Monsoon? Googled and found some images, but not the actual manual...trying to change the Oil Sending and Sensor...dang beeping is driving me nuts!

Thanks again!

Edited by wtblack
37 minutes ago, SmoothWaterMan said:

The hull number listed above is a SVLX that was delivered to Atlanta Inboard back when Bryan owned it.  It's polo green/white, Monsoon 325, SA boatmate trailer.

Hijack!

Any word on where Bryan is now? Seems like he was with Singleton bout 10 years ago. Nice fellow.

1 hour ago, wtblack said:

Thanks so much!  I have been going to resources for 2000 VLX but being Monsoon 325 makes all the sense in the world now, just in the rear.

The link in the 2000 resources has Indmar for engine in the center...any ideas where I can find  the rear V drive Monsoon? Googled and found some images, but not the actual manual...trying to change the Oil Sending and Sensor...dang beeping is driving me nuts!

Thanks again!

Our Resources section has all the info we could find back when those years were put together.

Click Here for the 2000 manuals on Malibu's site. I have never gone through their info to see if it is the same as what we had access to at that time.

2 hours ago, SmoothWaterMan said:

This might help you guys on older models.  This is all the letter designators, used over and over again.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RYBF2AWy6f_BOHMpxz-uBMXv16u6YeL3/view?usp=sharing

The Sunsetter "W" code is shown from 2006-2010, but I suspect it covers prior year Sunsetters as well.  I have a 1999 Sunsetter LX with a "W" code.

2 hours ago, wtblack said:

Thanks again!

The engine manual itself is probably very light on part numbers.  The shop manual though is more helpful.  Direct drive vs vdrive probably doesn’t matter much for the motor specifics.   

Better yet, skidim folks are great to work with.   
https://www.skidim.com/mobile/

https://www.themotorbookstore.com/indmar-inboard-repair-manual-gm-v-8-engines.html?cmp=googleproducts&kw=indmar-inboard-repair-manual-gm-v-8-engines&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvqyhi5Ci6QIVx0XVCh1aoQAdEAQYASABEgIaUfD_BwE

I'm a little late to the party, but for Malibu boats built relatively recently, the best way to get info is to contact Malibu. They keep a database of every component that goes in to each boat and the technical support team and customer service team that I've worked with have been very helpful in providing details about my boats. There was a database change that happened around 2005-2006 so there isn't much data on the older boats, and I don't know if they've changed anything recently, but they know everything about how my 2015 left the factory.

4 hours ago, justgary said:

The Sunsetter "W" code is shown from 2006-2010, but I suspect it covers prior year Sunsetters as well.  I have a 1999 Sunsetter LX with a "W" code.

W=1995-2002 Sunsetter and 2006-2015 Wakesetter 247.

1 hour ago, 23LSVOwner said:

W=1995-2002 Sunsetter and 2006-2015 Wakesetter 247.

Makes sense to me.  I only commented because the list that @SmoothWaterMan posted doesn't show any "W" code usage for 1999.

16 hours ago, justgary said:

Makes sense to me.  I only commented because the list that @SmoothWaterMan posted doesn't show any "W" code usage for 1999.

:salute:

I know someone who has the info on it. Saw your question and saw there was a little gap, so I passed the info along.

18 hours ago, justgary said:

There are some discrepancies in that list.  If you look at the "w"'s for example, you see it shows 3 model listings.  Obviously there was no 247 built in 1995 as the last listing shows.  The years related to the listings are messed up.

This is the newer corrected list -

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TWDS7rR1WKB4WPgpWdCRppCR4HIRNurQ/view?usp=sharing

Edited by SmoothWaterMan
On 5/7/2020 at 9:37 AM, wtblack said:

Thanks again!

Not sure if you are asking for an engine manual or a boat manual, but it's the same engine just turned around.  Any manual for a Monsoon 325 will be the same.

https://www.indmar.com/operator-manuals/wake-series/

Edited by SmoothWaterMan
On 5/7/2020 at 9:45 AM, BigE said:

Hijack!

Any word on where Bryan is now? Seems like he was with Singleton bout 10 years ago. Nice fellow.

Bryan started and operated Atlanta Inboard until he sold out to Singleton.  Was there for a few years before leaving and taking over Winboats, which is a dealership sales/service software company started by an old Malibu customer, John Churchill, originally from NH but moved to the Atlanta area.  Bryan currently owns/runs Winboats.