Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ballast pumps decided to fill my bilge

twitchee2

I was pulling a wakeboarder at <22mph and stopped the change riders when I had my auto bilge pump turn on randomly this last weekend, which was strange.  We spent the next 10 minutes looking for a leak, it was a lot of water. We did end up finding a hose clamp on the raw water pump that needed an extra turn but it was only dripping not leaking gallons. Finally found out my ski locker ballast tube (not connected to the bag at the time) was dumping water in the boat, but only at speed.  Pulled it out and held it up and it became a pilot tube based on speed - good to know when my speedo goes out I guess... Anyway glad that was all it was, closed the ball valve I had in front of the pump and called it good. I am glad I went through the effort to install the ball valves.

The issues I have with this is that it has never happened before. There are many occasions I do not bring or connect the center ballast bag and never have any issue. What could have changed? I checked the loop under the observer seat thinking it may have fallen over or something but everything looks normal.

Anyone have any thoughts? The pump still works just fine and pumps normally.

What kind of pump is between the ball valve and the bag?  Pito effect could occur if it was a centrifugal pump.

Perhaps it was left on accidentally?

Is it a reversible pump or aerator pump? Possibly a switch was left on and burned up the impeller if it is a reversible letting water come thru at speed?