Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Is an 07 Vride a good choice for someone like us?

shiftman

There is no argument, price point or otherwise.  Just reading what the OP has written and making logical suggestions.  

But I’m sure he’ll come back from the test drive with blown discs in his back, completely ending his semi-professional hydrofoiling career and subsequent need for a a Titan tower and he’ll end up getting a 50k pontoon for that affordable sporty water taxi he was asking about (what seems like) a year ago. :lol:

All good. 

A pontoon is not an option for us. We both do not like the looks. But, I do think that they serve a certain segment of the boating population. 

I came across a nicely priced MB at the end of last summer. It was about three hours away and virtually no one around where I boat had one (with the exception of one big Tomcat) and nobody knew much about them. As such, I let it pass.

I have seen a couple of Bryants with walkabout layouts and forward facing towers that look pretty nice. That may be a better option in my price range.

Stay away from a Bryant they're garbage quality.  Not sure where some of these opinions are coming from, but if you like the look and test drive the Vride go for it.  Like I said previously I owned a 96 Sunnsetter VLX which is even before that hull and I consistently went to one of the roughest lakes in Oklahoma with no issues.  Who would've thought you come to a Malibu forum and get Pontoon recommendations :no:

18 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

B, that was sarcasm -- I just tagged you in the post and you DID argue with me.  Or argued about not arguing?  I dunno. 

there's a 21' traditional bow MB too (overpriced example with ugly gel scheme here: https://kpr.craigslist.org/bod/d/2010-mb-sports-21-b52-wide/6624191863.html).  @IXFE had one. They are rare (MB just wasn't making a ton of boats then) and thus not a lot of comps, but I'd think you could definitely find one in the mid-high 30s with some patience (probably not in July, but in Sept-Oct).  If the argument is now pricepoint, that is.  

what of the pickle?  were those excluded from consideration?

there's also the likelihood that a vride with IX tower and 750 hours is a creaky mess.  Looks cool tho. (I know, I know, that's why I bought one too!)

@IXFE was doing the ghost thing before it was trendy. 

EC48A351-7836-47EA-92AB-ED7DE53EB7BF.jpeg

3EC2E0D3-99EE-4307-B009-A2AAB33AEE29.jpeg

• Like 4
Just now, -BS- said:

Yeah, MB definitely had to retool their line to put that one out.  The guys on the line were like "wait.........NO FLAMES??  Boss.....this one says 'no flames'.......Can that be right?" :lol:

Diet Coke just came out of my nose...

:rofl:

• Like 3
On 6/27/2018 at 8:37 AM, dlowry81 said:

Thought about replying earlier, but I'm in complete agreement with BS on his points.  Someone mentioned having ever ridden into 10 mph winds.  Please that is a calm day in Oklahoma.  I took my 1996 Sunnsetter VLX across Grand Lake (the lake that sunk someones Echelon on here recently) tons of times and it's not that bad.  As good as a newer wakeboat or a big Crownline or Cobalt, absolutely not.  But it will be worlds better than a 18' Stingray.  You guys are acting like his Stingray is a 23' Cobalt, which it's is far from.  Bottom line the OP just needs a test drive to see what he thinks.

We had our ‘05 V Ride out last weekend on Ray Roberts (~29k acre lake) and the wind was blowing 20-25mph ALL day.  To say that it was white capping would have been a big understatement.  We had a great time and I never felt as though the boat was giving us a rougher than normal ride to be honest.

When going up the lake (into the wind and waves) I kept our speed down to around 15mph which helped soften the impact of the waves and we stayed dry.  I’m sure we could have gone a little faster but I didn’t see the point in beating the boat to death for no reason.  I also filled the front ballast tank and the added weight may have helped a little.

IMO It’s all relative when it comes to ride quality and knowing how to drive in rough water can make a difference in any boat.  In fact, the only time that I was reminded that I was in a Wakeboat was when we had the tanks full and and I shut down the throttle going into the wind waves.  Did get a little spray off the bow....  😂