Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2011 Ford Expedition Towing

eubanks

This SUV has been towing our 2005 23LSV with no problems on our flat Texas roads for the past several years. As we've been thinking about a boat upgrade, it has me concerned about the ability of this vehicle to tow these heavier new boats. We mostly tow less than 5 miles to the local ramp but will do a couple of 3-4 hour trips each year as well...mostly on flat-ish roads.

So what are your thoughts around towing a new 2018/2019 Malibu 23LSV with this vehicle? I believe the Expedition it is rated at a max of 6,000 pounds, and the new LSV dry is 5K. Then you add a full tank of gas and you're already up to 5,400 plus gear which seems to be pushing it's limits.

Time for a truck or think this SUV can get it done for what are mostly shorter trips?

24 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Maybe 5k not including the trailer.  Id bet that you are at 7k on a tandem

Yep, not including trailer.  So sounds like this will be a tough chore my current rig?

I think all the upper trim levels came with the tow package.  Is the receiver and 7 pin socket stock from Ford?  If so odds are it has the tow package.  

With the tow package and reasonable expectations you would be fine. Just know that the old 5.4 is going to feel short on power but it will get you there. 

Thanks for the feedback.  It does have both the 7 pin and 4 pin.  I was reading last night that the 7 pin was an indicator that it had the upgraded tow package.  So I guess we will give it a go.  Thank you!

I don't think the tow package has a choice they are all HD if ordered. You ether get it or not. The only thing that may have any difference would be the rear end ratio. But I am not even sure on that as I think they only  had two choices.  What year and engine?

One suggestion that made a world of difference towing with my 12' was putting LT load range D tires on it.  The 5.4 will make a lot of noise but eventually get the job done.