Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

occasional "ticking" at idle in gear

On Saturday on the lake, my 2007 VTX had a "ticking" sound that sounded like it was coming from the v-drive area.  We had already been on the lake for over an hour when I heard it the first time.  I pulled the center cushion and storage tray to inspect, wondering if I had broke bolts that connect the prop shaft to the v-drive ( I have broken these before, I think because they were slightly loose), but they were all present, and tight.  I didn't feel any vibration, just the sound.  After going from forward to reverse and back a few times, it stopped.  Never made any sound or vibration above idle.  Then later in the day, I heard it a couple more times, but always only at idle.

I have no idea what to even look for here.

Michael

Yes the Transmission fluid is correct level, not burnt at all.

I checked the V-Drive fluid last night, it was slightly low, but not by much.  That fluid had been burnt to some degree, not horrible, but enough to change it.   I changed the fluid last night.  Probably get the boat back on the water in a couple days to see how it does.

was the engine sputtering at all?  On our '01, if the engine is cold and you put it into gear, it can run a bit rough for a second or two when the RPMs drop and we'll get a little rattling from the V-drive.

No, this happened part way through the day, engine hadn't been shut off, just picking up a down boarder.

• 1 year later...