Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Running 87 octane in Raptor 450 motor

Brianborder

Motor specs call for 89 octane per Indmar, however, the only option is 87 on our houseboat trip.  Thoughts from you all as to whether this is a problem to run 87?

Edited by Brianborder

The only octane booster that works (I monitored knock in my previous CTS-V) is Torco.  It works great and you won’t need much to bring the octane up to where it needs to be.  

The one thing you won’t want to do is use it any more than you absolutely have to since it will leave a reddish deposit on your plugs.  That being said, it takes many uses of it for that to happen so you’ll be perfect fine for occasional use.  

Link to product:

https://torcoracefuel.net/pro-accelerator.html

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Norm02 said:

The only octane booster that works (I monitored knock in my previous CTS-V) is Torco.  It works great and you won’t need much to bring the octane up to where it needs to be.  

The one thing you won’t want to do is use it any more than you absolutely have to since it will leave a reddish deposit on your plugs.  That being said, it takes many uses of it for that to happen so you’ll be perfect fine for occasional use.  

Link to product:

https://torcoracefuel.net/pro-accelerator.html

Ditto;  That is what I use when house boating to Shasta.  Need min 92 for the 575.  Usually can get 91 octane at a couple marinas.   Torco works great!  

Edited by ORMailbuboater
  • 3 weeks later...

I read a thread where dude posted an email from Indmar on the TO site where they were talking about the 440 (same engine), he was asking similar question....the Indmar guy was saying he would not hesitate to run 87 with max of 10% ethenol and that the difference between 87 and 89 is not much. Doubt you will have an issue, especially if you add a little boost.

One main reason to specify a higher than required octane is due to expectation of the fuel sitting in the tank for an extended period of time which allows the octane to drop a couple of points.  The engine suppliers have to anticipate things like that and lean to the safe side.  The engine will pull spark back to compensate for lower octane which may or actually may not alter the available power, depends on how well the fuel burns or if it gets a complete combustion when some timing is retarded.

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Woodski said:

One main reason to specify a higher than required octane is due to expectation of the fuel sitting in the tank for an extended period of time which allows the octane to drop a couple of points.  The engine suppliers have to anticipate things like that and lean to the safe side.  The engine will pull spark back to compensate for lower octane which may or actually may not alter the available power, depends on how well the fuel burns or if it gets a complete combustion when some timing is retarded.

Yep.

If you have  aboat that is going to sit for a couple of weeks or more I recommend putting stabil in the tank before adding your fuel. When you add the fuel it helps mix it in.

7 minutes ago, 23LSVOwner said:

Yep.

If you have  aboat that is going to sit for a couple of weeks or more I recommend putting stabil in the tank before adding your fuel. When you add the fuel it helps mix it in.

Why?  Stabil does nothing to stop octane loss

1 hour ago, oldjeep said:

Why?  Stabil does nothing to stop octane loss

Phase separation, which does cause octane loss.

Edited by 23LSVOwner

Heres a few fact about pump gas.

87 to 93 pump octane all have about the same BTU p/oz. So once ignited, 93 has no more punch then 87

pump octane, or grade, is not an indicator of fuel quality. every gallon of fuel put into the national pipeline distribution system has the same level of purity and quality. Each gallon contains the same EPA mandated additives package. 

Pump octane is an indication of the fuels ability to resist ignition from heat, or in other words, its an indication of its volatility. 87 has a lower resistance to heat, in other words,  more volatile. 93 has a higher resistance, or is less volatile. Once ignited, see bullet point 1. 

As fuel ages, its BTU goes down. Meaning, it lacks the same punch as fresh fuel. Its volatility also suffers, its goes down, takes more heat to ignite. Old 87 does not turn into 85, but rather more like 93, as in the old 87 resists heat more, as its now less volatile. 

To make the most power, you should run the lowest octane possible where the ECU does not pick up knock, which will result in it retarding timing (or worse, go I to a low octane fuel map).  

Unless Indmar has improved their ECU tuning in recent years, I would be cautious with the octane I used.  From posts from their reps and my own observations with how my motor runs on their tune, it is not a well done.

• 1 year later...
On 6/25/2018 at 7:08 AM, RyanB said:

This is the octane booster I use when we go to Lake Powell.  The only time I had trouble with fuel there is when I didn't use it.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001OZL9OQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

@RyanB- Im heading out to Powell next Saturday and need to pick up some octane boost.  I'll be there for week and want to ensure i have enough of this stuff.  How many bottles do you use per fill up?

Thanks,

MC

1 hour ago, SCMike said:

@RyanB- Im heading out to Powell next Saturday and need to pick up some octane boost.  I'll be there for week and want to ensure i have enough of this stuff.  How many bottles do you use per fill up?

Thanks,

MC

I think the instructions say that one bottle treats 25 gallons or something like that.  I imagine you are going to the south end of the lake.  Pretty sure that both marinas down there sell premium.  My issue is that our home marina (Bullfrog) doesn't offer premium, and if I am filling off the toy tank of the house boat I am almost certain that is regular fuel.

I'd suggest brining a bottle or two of heet fuel additive - just in case.

5 hours ago, RyanB said:

I think the instructions say that one bottle treats 25 gallons or something like that.  I imagine you are going to the south end of the lake.  Pretty sure that both marinas down there sell premium.  My issue is that our home marina (Bullfrog) doesn't offer premium, and if I am filling off the toy tank of the house boat I am almost certain that is regular fuel.

I'd suggest brining a bottle or two of heet fuel additive - just in case.

Thanks Ryan.  Im pretty sure they just have regular (87) as well based on this site: https://www.lakepowellmarinas.com/boater-resources/fuel-prices/

I ordered a pack of 12 bottles, which should last me 6 tanks.  Hopefully i wont need any more than that.

3 hours ago, SCMike said:

Thanks Ryan.  Im pretty sure they just have regular (87) as well based on this site: https://www.lakepowellmarinas.com/boater-resources/fuel-prices/

I ordered a pack of 12 bottles, which should last me 6 tanks.  Hopefully i wont need any more than that.

Interesting. That’s the site i would have referred you to. I would have bet that Wahweap had premium. I also thought I had filled with premium at Dangling Rope. Either way, I always keep a half dozen bottles in my boat. 

Wonder if Antelope Point has premium?  I’m never on the south end......