Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu steering rudder question

spikew919

Anyone know if the steering rudder arm has a woodruff key where it clamps to rudder? My boat had no steering to. When turner full left at steering wheel rudder was straight, and the would turn full right. I got under there and forced it back straight where it would turn correctly, and the tightened up best is could the bolt and lock nut. Not an easy job on the water. Just curious how it’s made. 

37 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

My 2012 has one. 

Could it be the steering rack that got out of time? I’ve never actually took a rack apart. Not sure when I got it back lined up if it moved at rack or at rudder arm. Literally can barely get one hand to arm and definitely can’t see it on the M235 the way it’s setup back there 

6 hours ago, RyanatJongbloed said:

Another question to this.  Should the rudder have an "play" in it?  1/8 to 1/4 inch?

Thanks

I’m wondering same thing, mine moves up and down at least 1/8th inch or so and pretty loose rocking front to back. 

A minor amount of play is normal, the steering becomes notchy and stiff as the wear becomes too excessive.  You can shim the rudder to compensate for some of the vertical play.  I would consider 1/4" more than you want but that also depends on how you are measuring the play.  Just a note - too much grease in the rudder box can cause a stiff rudder, so add grease with care.

• Like 3

Thanks guys!!.  The steering isn't notchy or stiff, but my boat has that "shimmy" at high speed and takes on a fair amount of water overnight.  I know the packing does need to be tightened up, but seems to take on more water than normal.  That is what made me wonder about the rudder.  It does have play and wondering if the seals and bearing need to be replaced. 

@RyanatJongbloed:  With smooth steering I would lean towards checking the cutlass bearings as a potential issue.  If they are significantly worn they will allow the prop shaft to vibrate under motion which would elongate the shaft seal to where it could leak at rest.  There are 2 of them and are either vesconite (white) or rubber (black with gold housing) in the prop shaft strut.  Threads on this site documenting changing them out along with YouTube videos.  Can't totally rule out rudder.

Edited by Woodski
20 hours ago, RyanatJongbloed said:

Thanks guys!!.  The steering isn't notchy or stiff, but my boat has that "shimmy" at high speed and takes on a fair amount of water overnight.  I know the packing does need to be tightened up, but seems to take on more water than normal.  That is what made me wonder about the rudder.  It does have play and wondering if the seals and bearing need to be replaced. 

I replaced my strut bushings/bearings with the newer plastic ones from skidim based on 733 hours and it being a 1999 boat.  Very noticeable improvement in the drive.

• Like 2

Well here it is, we all joke about things left in bilge, but when it’s this and it lodges itself so rudder arm won’t steer but to the right in the middle of a busy lake and you get over to the side out of the way and you try to figure out the problem laying in the Locker and the heavy hood falls on your foot due to some jackhole pulling a wakeboarder right by you it’s not so funny anymore. I was ill at that jackhole but thinking now that I finally found what was wedged and pretty sure I should be mad at the jack-hole that left this in the bilge🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️ Almost a week ago and foot still looks like that 🤷🏻‍♂️ Can’t make this stuff up, moral to the story, I would check my bilge for stuff big enough to wedge rudder arm. 

369B9A76-333D-4B4F-B755-91E77ED6C5A6.jpeg

4561CA52-A774-473E-8CB0-4C0DA35874CE.jpeg

2DB0FAC9-8B0A-4DDB-8EC0-216B55606977.jpeg

Edited by spikew919

Spike, I'm a little concerned about that foot. Dr. Look at it?

On a different note, what the heck is that thing in the bilge? Glad it wasn't a difficult expensive boat fix !

Steve B.

24 minutes ago, Steve B. said:

Spike, I'm a little concerned about that foot. Dr. Look at it?

On a different note, what the heck is that thing in the bilge? Glad it wasn't a difficult expensive boat fix !

Steve B.

That is a transducer blank. I guess they put them on m when installing the thru Hull for transducer. And when they put the put transducer in they must have forgotten to remove it. 

Wife is head of X-ray at local hospital. Nothing broken. 

Thanks for asking, foot is way better and looks better and not nearly as swollen now. Didn’t let it ruin my trip. Actually still surfed plenty with it swollen, and no broken bones just broke a bunch of vessels on that side of foot. Forcing it in workboots Monday morning did suck lol 😂 

Edited by spikew919
On 6/28/2018 at 9:22 PM, spikew919 said:

Well here it is, we all joke about things left in bilge, but when it’s this and it lodges itself so rudder arm won’t steer but to the right in the middle of a busy lake and you get over to the side out of the way and you try to figure out the problem laying in the Locker and the heavy hood falls on your foot due to some jackhole pulling a wakeboarder right by you it’s not so funny anymore. I was ill at that jackhole but thinking now that I finally found what was wedged and pretty sure I should be mad at the jack-hole that left this in the bilge🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️ Almost a week ago and foot still looks like that 🤷🏻‍♂️ Can’t make this stuff up, moral to the story, I would check my bilge for stuff big enough to wedge rudder arm. 

4561CA52-A774-473E-8CB0-4C0DA35874CE.jpeg

Its a dummy plug for the paddle wheel.  Mine is zip tied to the base of the paddle wheel