Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Vinegar/water wipedown, what do you use

hawaiianstyln

I don't have a problem with hard water / water spots really on our lakes - so I can get away with using something really light. 
I buy this stuff by the gallon (you can buy it in smaller spray bottles to test it) and keep a bottle in my boat, and in all our cars/trucks.

https://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guys-WAC_808_64-Hybrid-Optical/dp/B071H7D8TX/ 

And - move away from using "wax." That's a good way to spend a lot more time detailing your boat. Use a good synthetic sealer and your life will change for the better. It protects just as well, arguably better, is easier to apply/remove, uses very little to be effective, and lasts 2-3 times longer than a traditional wax. 

I use this almost exclusively. https://www.amazon.com/Jescar-Power-Lock-Polymer-Sealant/dp/B00P87W0IU/ 

• Like 2

man!!!! glad I posted this thread because I will NEVER use vinegar again after hearing these stories.  Looks like I'm going to buy some sort of wipe and dry going forward.  Just need to go back thru this thread and figure out which one.  I have to say, every time I see the greatest Alias name on this site @ibelonginprison maybe I will go with the chemical guys because they do make some bad a$$ stuff especially their buffing pads are top notch

Another vote for Hot Sauce. U can get a gallon on amazon, prime for pretty cheap. And as someone else said it seems to go along way. My boat is blk/blk and it keeps it looking great. 

7 minutes ago, Cboom12 said:

Another vote for Hot Sauce. U can get a gallon on amazon, prime for pretty cheap. And as someone else said it seems to go along way. My boat is blk/blk and it keeps it looking great. 

wish I knew which one was better - chemical guys 1 gallon is $40 and Hot Sauce seems to be $55-65-ish

Just to make your decision more difficult, you can usually find a 20% off coupon code for performance boat candy’s speed gloss. PBC20 used to work but if it doesn’t, email them and they will usually get you a code that works. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, jrvs23 said:

+1 on the Turtle wax and dry. Works great! I keep separate wipe down towels in the truck. Be careful if you start to sweat when wiping down and you wipe you face/eyes. I had to pull over my eyes were burning so bad I couldn't see.

I had a bottle of the turtle wax stuff and i think it worked just as well as the eagle one.  Cant recall if i didnt like the smell of it or if it had a color tint to it.  Definitely easier to find. 

23 minutes ago, hawaiianstyln said:

wish I knew which one was better - chemical guys 1 gallon is $40 and Hot Sauce seems to be $55-65-ish

I don’t have experience with the other products, but I found hot sauce on amazon for 49.07 shipped free if you have prime. 

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Pnwrider said:

Just to make your decision more difficult, you can usually find a 20% off coupon code for performance boat candy’s speed gloss. PBC20 used to work but if it doesn’t, email them and they will usually get you a code that works. 

The gallon size is $50 and prime on Amazon 

Edited by Brodie
  • Like 1

yah that gallon would prob last 2 summers.  so that isn't much money when you think about it.  Especially when you don't have to wax a boat as much as I do right now.

Not to change the topic but when you do wax do yourself a favor and get yourself a creeper.  I bought one a few days ago and it cut my waxing time in 1/2 easily under the boat and my neck didn't get sore.  https://www.amazon.com/Torin-Rolling-Garage-Shop-Creeper/dp/B002E1AYTU/ref=sr_1_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1529703523&sr=1-3&keywords=creeper

3 minutes ago, riot138 said:

Not to change the topic but when you do wax do yourself a favor and get yourself a creeper.  I bought one a few days ago and it cut my waxing time in 1/2 easily under the boat and my neck didn't get sore.  https://www.amazon.com/Torin-Rolling-Garage-Shop-Creeper/dp/B002E1AYTU/ref=sr_1_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1529703523&sr=1-3&keywords=creeper

I don't think I've ever waxed the bottom of any Malibu/MC/Nautique that I've owned in the past.  That seems like a crap job to do.  eeeks

but believe me, my boat shines like new all the time from the sides/transom/above rub rail.  :)

5 minutes ago, hawaiianstyln said:

I don't think I've ever waxed the bottom of any Malibu/MC/Nautique that I've owned in the past.  That seems like a crap job to do.  eeeks

but believe me, my boat shines like new all the time from the sides/transom/above rub rail.  :)

I may be wasting my time then.  The boat sits in the water for a couple weeks at a time. I guess I just thought everyone did the whole hull.  It was a nightmare the first time and was bearable with the creeper.  Maybe I may skip the bottom waxing.

3 hours ago, cWonka said:

I use Turtle Wax 1 Step Wax and Dry ($4 at Wally World) and a waffle weave towel at the boat ramp. A couple of times we’ve been in a hurry and I’ve had to pull away wet and dry at the house (20 minutes delay) still does a good job getting back to a high gloss shine with no scum line, but requires a lot more elbow grease than just doing it right out of the water. I’ve also heard to use it on the bunks after you launch to give them that “liquid roller” feel at pickup.

Stuff is awesome on cars 

2 hours ago, jrvs23 said:

+1 on the Turtle wax and dry. Works great! I keep separate wipe down towels in the truck. Be careful if you start to sweat when wiping down and you wipe you face/eyes. I had to pull over my eyes were burning so bad I couldn't see.

Yea cause tons of wax in that stuff, hands smell like I dunked them in car wax but ad @ibelonginprison said good way to spend more time wiping down  .  When I wipe card down to dry after wash, you need a non wet with no wax microfiber to get rid of the wax residue or doesn’t really shine cause there is a wax haze needing hand wiping/buffing

may look at his recommended chemical guys fir boat 

Edited by granddaddy55
1 hour ago, hawaiianstyln said:

Trust @ibelonginprison cause he does his and friends boats on recoveries and maintenance  not just talk

nothing wrong with vinigar trying to fix or recover a mess when you didn’t protect it before it was moored 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, oldjeep said:

I had a bottle of the turtle wax stuff and i think it worked just as well as the eagle one.  Cant recall if i didnt like the smell of it or if it had a color tint to it.  Definitely easier to find. 

It was the wax smell and you had to work a little harder because it’s real wax that needs haze wiping and you smell like paste wax or liquid wax like when you apply it to your car

makes cars look great after a simple wash, but  I need wet and dry micros to do car as one has to be drier with less wax remnants to buff the wax left by the wetter rag 

Edited by granddaddy55
1 hour ago, hawaiianstyln said:

yah that gallon would prob last 2 summers.  so that isn't much money when you think about it.  Especially when you don't have to wax a boat as much as I do right now.

Get the Boat Bling Speed Gloss. You won't regret it. We also use their Crystal Gloss wax for the annual waxing. Boat never has water spots and always feels glossy. 

28 minutes ago, granddaddy55 said:

It was the wax smell and you had to work a little harder because it’s real wax that needs haze wiping and you smell like paste wax or liquid wax like when you apply it to your car

makes cars look great after a simple wash, but  I need wet and dry micros to do car as one has to be drier with less wax remnants to buff the wax left by the wetter rag 

Eagle one has caranuba wax, a d smells like wax. 

2 hours ago, riot138 said:

I may be wasting my time then.  The boat sits in the water for a couple weeks at a time. I guess I just thought everyone did the whole hull.  It was a nightmare the first time and was bearable with the creeper.  Maybe I may skip the bottom waxing.

I wax my whole hull also.