Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Vinegar/water wipedown, what do you use

hawaiianstyln

The eagle one works pretty decent on the boat and tow rig. Gave them both a shot this morning before heading out.  The boat has a base of collonite from april, the truck doesn't have anything unless the factory put something on it. 

IMAG0285.jpg

I tried Performance Boat Candy - Speed Gloss, I was skeptical, but after the first use I'm sold, the stuff is amazing, easy to apply, a bottle lasts a long time...just smells a little funky.  No water spots and my 12 year old boat looks like new.

Waxing the bottom of the boat decreases your top end, but makes it easier to clean it.  I tend to not wax it, but ours lives on a lift, so it doesn't get too dirty.

Edited by sic0048

Our waters in TN seem to be the worst for spots. The dirt/scum lines are not an issue. Even after a fresh wax job, the spots will wipe off easily about 2 or 3 trips with just a towel after pulling out. After that, they seem to set in/Bake to where they don't wipe off. I have tried the spray detailers and they did not work for me. I resisted Vinegar for 10 years and finally gave in last year.  I know it's stripping my wax but the only way short of LimeAway to get spots off. My Question is about Ceramic coatings, anyone using them?

I still think the type of water you boat in has a lot to do with getting the spots off. I know just waxing will not remove these Tennessee spots. You have to use Vinegar or LimeAway first.

On 6/22/2018 at 3:42 PM, Pnwrider said:

I might check out the stuff @TallRedRider linked next time I need to order more as I think@shawndoggy recommended that in the past as well. 

I learnt it from the master.  

On 6/22/2018 at 3:52 PM, riot138 said:

I may be wasting my time then.  The boat sits in the water for a couple weeks at a time. I guess I just thought everyone did the whole hull.  It was a nightmare the first time and was bearable with the creeper.  Maybe I may skip the bottom waxing.

If my boat were in the water for extended periods, I might consider it.  My boat gets no more than 6 days in the water at a time, and that is usually once a year.  So most of us would agree that waxing the bottom is only for anal retentiveness, unless you are in the water for weeks at a time.  

On 6/22/2018 at 1:55 PM, ibelonginprison said:

I don't have a problem with hard water / water spots really on our lakes - so I can get away with using something really light. 
I buy this stuff by the gallon (you can buy it in smaller spray bottles to test it) and keep a bottle in my boat, and in all our cars/trucks.

https://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guys-WAC_808_64-Hybrid-Optical/dp/B071H7D8TX/ 

And - move away from using "wax." That's a good way to spend a lot more time detailing your boat. Use a good synthetic sealer and your life will change for the better. It protects just as well, arguably better, is easier to apply/remove, uses very little to be effective, and lasts 2-3 times longer than a traditional wax. 

I use this almost exclusively. https://www.amazon.com/Jescar-Power-Lock-Polymer-Sealant/dp/B00P87W0IU/ 

Do I have to strip everything to apply the sealant?  I have a love/hate relationship with waxing.  I really do have better things to do, but love how it helps the cleanup process.  I consider myself to have tried almost everything, and here you go probably spending more of my money.  

And I should add to this thread that I think any cleaner is soooo much better if you wax the boat once in a while, sort of making this conversation moot.  

Nice thread.  I use 50-50 white vinegar with distilled water to remove spots every weekend.  Then follow up with 143 maguire's spray wax.  Thoughts?  I figured the wax is coming off but am putting fresh wax on.   ??  If there was a one step I would be up for that.  Will look into the stuff @ibelonginprison mentioned.

22 hours ago, Pnwrider said:

You don’t like the green apple smell? 

assple is what we call it.  Don't let that stuff spill in your truck.  Ask me how I know.

• Like 2

We don’t get bad water spots up here so I don’t really use anything special. But when I got my boat it had came from Texas and the bottom of the hull (black) I took the babes spot remover that I had from a kit and it worked pretty dam well I was impressed. 

For wax the menzerna power lock sealant is money. 

3 hours ago, carguy79ta said:

So you mix this in a spray bottle at 40:1  ?? Holy crap...1gallon is a lifetime supply let alone 3.  Or do you use it full strength. ??...??

Full strength

Over the past ten years of boat ownership I have tried quite a few different wipe down sprays... many work well but not streaking/hazing is a must for me along with a good smell and reasonable cost.

I  keep going back to this stuff.  It is $15/gallon if you order 4 bottles for $59.  It leaves absolutely no streaking even on dark colors, smells great and most importantly removes water spots and prevents them.  It also leaves a nice wax glossy shine after each use.  I also use it on all our vehicles.

I have also used the marine wax and glass cleaner from Driven with excellent results.

Just another option definitely would recommend at least trying them once.

https://driventoperfection.com/index.php?_route_=Marine/Driven-Quick-Spray-Concentrate

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Fman said:

Over the past ten years of boat ownership I have tried quite a few different wipe down sprays... many work well but not streaking/hazing is a must for me along with a good smell and reasonable cost.

I  keep going back to this stuff.  It is $15/gallon if you order 4 bottles for $59.  It leaves absolutely no streaking even on dark colors, smells great and most importantly removes water spots and prevents them.  It also leaves a nice wax glossy shine after each use.  I also use it on all our vehicles.

I have also used the marine wax and glass cleaner from Driven with excellent results.

Just another option definitely would recommend at least trying them once.

https://driventoperfection.com/index.php?_route_=Marine/Driven-Quick-Spray-Concentrate

I keep going back to Driven as well! Doesn't leave any streaks which is important to me, most of my boats have black hulls. Curious has anyone ever used Babes Boat products? My local dealer just started stocking it and swears by it. 

1 hour ago, Toymanator said:

I keep going back to Driven as well! Doesn't leave any streaks which is important to me, most of my boats have black hulls. Curious has anyone ever used Babes Boat products? My local dealer just started stocking it and swears by it. 

I used to. It’s alright, switched to hot sauce vinyl cleaner and I like it a lot better. I use the babes spray wax as I bought a gallon jug and it’s good for quick touch ups. 

• Like 1

I used Babes for a long time, it works well.  But I got tired of using the spot solver and then having to go back over with the spray wax.  Received a free bottle of Hula Boat Care "gnarly water spot" remover.  Stuff works great, our lake leaves really bad water spots and this cuts right through them without stripping wax.  I also purchase the cleaner wax and the polymer sealant, but have not applied either yet.  What is anyone using to prevent water spots on the windows?

14 hours ago, Cole2001 said:

We don’t get bad water spots up here so I don’t really use anything special. But when I got my boat it had came from Texas and the bottom of the hull (black) I took the babes spot remover that I had from a kit and it worked pretty dam well I was impressed. 

How often do you have to apply? I have some of their auto polishes good stuff....the power lock sealant...

Edited by carguy79ta

I have been using a 60/40 or thereabouts water to vinegar for 12 years on my boat.  Gel still looks new.  Boat stays covered and has always been stored in a covered shelter as well which I know helps.  I have a black hull section below rub rail with the light graphite above and below.  Couple of years ago I tried skipping the vinegar mix and went with a detail spray wax for wipe down.  After a few outings I noticed water spots on the black portions that were not coming off.  Back to the vinegar mix for me ever since.   Ibelonginprison turned me on to the Jescar power sealant last year and I will not be using regular wax/marine wax again...stuff is awesome...so easy to apply and remove and lasts a long time, even with using the vinegar mix.   I have never waxed the bottom....seems to me the friction from the water would quickly wear it off but I have no clue if that's actually the case. 

15 hours ago, Cole2001 said:

^^^^ Preach.

I've never introduced someone to the Menzerna (now called Jescar) Powerlock sealant that hasn't at some point messaged me these words "where has this been all my life."
Only step up from that is having the boat ceramic coated, imo.

2 hours ago, carguy79ta said:

How often do you have to apply? I have some of their auto polishes good stuff....the power lock sealant...

Menzerna power lock once or twice a year and spray wax in between. Take in mind that my boat stays in the water. I had my boat in for just over a month, pulled it out and 2min later with just a microfibre and water it looked perfect. 

4 hours ago, tex599 said:

I used Babes for a long time, it works well.  But I got tired of using the spot solver and then having to go back over with the spray wax.  Received a free bottle of Hula Boat Care "gnarly water spot" remover.  Stuff works great, our lake leaves really bad water spots and this cuts right through them without stripping wax.  I also purchase the cleaner wax and the polymer sealant, but have not applied either yet.  What is anyone using to prevent water spots on the windows?

I use driven boat wipe for windows as well which seems to help prevent water spots and also removes them.  It also will not streak or haze your windows.  I'm not sure what they do to formulate it but it is one of the few wipe down products that will not streak and also can be used on windows.

I also used Zipmist which I liked it for removing water spots but felt like it did not leave much wax or protection on the gel after like Driven seems to.  Also did not care for the smell of it.  Definitely preferred it over speed gloss which really streaked/hazed the darker colors. 

Like most waxes everyone finds something that works for them.