Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hydrofoiling impact on the knees

LouDoc

I just had my post op visit and my orthopedic surgeon wants me to be non-weight bearing for four weeks! Ouch! My armpits are already screaming about those crutches. But, the silver lining is that the CFO was cool with my getting a foil in the group buy (to help overcome my post-op depression :( ).

So how much impact does foiling have on the knees? I figure I'll be able to surf once I'm weight-bearing, but will likely have to wate on wakeboarding a while longer because of the impact. Looking at the videos posted on the group buy thread, it looks like foiling should be fairly low impact on the knees.

I need a bunch of opinions on this one as my wife is quite skeptical. So please post even if you say the same thing over and over (strength in numbers).

Edited by LouDoc

Not only will foiling NOT cause any stress on your knees, it will actually speed the recovery process thereby enabling you to enjoy evenings out dancing with your wife that much sooner. Biggrin.gif

(This opinion is in no way influenced by my desire to participate in the group buy which requires a minimum of 10 buyers.) Innocent.gif

Edited by John I.
How hard is it to learn to foil?

Dan P and Pistol Pete had me going after 3 pulls. It takes some coordination and EXACT cheek placement on the chair - 2 inches one way or anther and your hosed.

I would think during the non-weight bearing weeks I'd keep off of anything. But on the 29th day I'd jump on the foil first. I don't remember it being hard on the knees at all. Wakeboarding on the other hand... Probably stay off this season. :(

Not only will foiling NOT cause any stress on your knees, it will actually speed the recovery process thereby enabling you to enjoy evenings out dancing with your wife that much sooner.  Biggrin.gif

(This opinion is in no way influenced by my desire to participate in the group buy which requires a minimum of 10 buyers.)    Innocent.gif

It's basically an old mans sport. How hard can it be on your knees, your sitting down. Might as well, just mount a wheel chair to it. :)

Not only will foiling NOT cause any stress on your knees, it will actually speed the recovery process thereby enabling you to enjoy evenings out dancing with your wife that much sooner.  Biggrin.gif

(This opinion is in no way influenced by my desire to participate in the group buy which requires a minimum of 10 buyers.)    Innocent.gif

I'll second the above!

How hard is it to learn to foil?

As far as physical demand on your body it is VERY easy. For most people I was watched learn, the process is a bit longer than most other towing sports but it isn't too bad if you have a good instructor. If you don't have someone who is good at teaching, check out www.foilfreaks.com for lots of text, picture and video tutorials.

Sounds like a quality plan to me.  I fully intend to foil if and when my knees ever give out.

One of my good friends who does nothing but hydrofoil now used to be a kneeboarder. He doesn't even try to kneeboard now due to the stress on the knees but he has no problems at all with the hydrofoil.

Jeff/AirChair1

In the learning stages there should be no stress on your knees. Walking on crutches will be tougher on you then the foil. Don't try to do any inverts though, there is a limit to anything. Surprised.gif

Joe

• 2 weeks later...
Biggrin.gif I'm 5 months out from ACL< MCL< Meniscus surgory , and ridding with a CTI 2 brace on and having a BALL !! :) Pulled off 4 out of 6 dismount gainers Clap.gif I would NOT surf if i had any knee surgory for a few months, I know when I surf I fall and twist my knees . Foiling is the ONLY thing to do on the water !!! Hydrofoils = BIG AIR !!!!!!!!!!!!
Biggrin.gif I'm  5 months out from ACL< MCL< Meniscus surgory , ...

goochy finally starts posting... Clap.gif ...good to see ya here. For those who haven't seen it you should post the "invert gone wrong" Sky Ski photo that you put on that other site. It's a classic.

So, how's the knee? Rehabbing like a mother? Still riding a bunch? Mine's strong as ever (been a year) and I'm back to 22' off consistently, 28' off not so consistently.

Thanks guys the spilt of the sites really sucked ! Glad to be here ! . Leg doing great , been back at work for 5 weeks now, going great ! I drive for UPS so my knees take a beating !! The new sky skiers will be hooked, its so much FUN !!