Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sunsetter LXi, 99-04 vs 05-06

ftlbs

Looking to purchase a Sunsetter LXi but I’ve read that the 05-06 models are not as desirable as the 99-04s. Can anyone help me understand why?

Slalom skiing mainly.  It went to an all new hull in 2005.  Prior to that it was on the AWSA certified SV23 Diamond hull.  The '05 and '06 were bigger, heavier boats with deeper hulls.  Do you still own the FXi in your profile?  That's a much better ski boat than the '05 or '06 SSLXi.

Edited by UWSkier

I don’t. I loved that FXi but sold it to free up some cash to finish my basement. Would like something similar though. Just don’t have the $ for another FXi. I’m a slalom skier so that’s what I’m after. The seller of the 2005 SLXi says it has the diamond hull. Is that a different diamond hull?

V25 Diamond vs SV23 Diamond.  Different entry angle.  The SSLXi from the generation before is widely regarded as the finest 21' slalom boat ever made by anyone.  It was extremely popular for that reason.  The updated version died pretty quickly.

• Like 2

@ftlbs have you considered a 2007+ Response LXi or would that fall out of your price range also?  Not as roomy as your FXi but better slalom wakes and enough freeboard that nose dipping isn't a constant worry.

49 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

@ftlbs have you considered a 2007+ Response LXi or would that fall out of your price range also?  Not as roomy as your FXi but better slalom wakes and enough freeboard that nose dipping isn't a constant worry.

I might just know someone who will have a pristine 127 hr 2007 Response LXI for sale in the very near future:)

If you are a Slalom skier and are looking for a SSLXI  don't do anything other then 99 - 04. they truly have a world class wake. and are a reasonable crossover boat. JMHO.

• Like 3

Not opposed to a ‘07+ RLXi if I could find the right one for the right price. Just figured the SLXi would be better for my small kids. Most of my skiing is on large lakes. While I still want it to drive well in the course, I like the idea of the deeper hull and less nose dipping (and, a 99-04 will cost less than a ‘07+.

you guys are awesome by the way. Thanks for the input

• Like 2

You've had an interesting boat history (see you updated your profile).  How'd you like the FXi vs the '06 LXi (my favorite Malibu slalom hull ever)?

BUT, given that history, you should definitely stay away from the '05+ SSLXi.  You wouldn't like it.

Edited by UWSkier
1 hour ago, UWSkier said:

You've had an interesting boat history (see you updated your profile).  How'd you like the FXi vs the '06 LXi (my favorite Malibu slalom hull ever)?

BUT, given that history, you should definitely stay away from the '05+ SSLXi.  You wouldn't like it.

I LOVED my 2006 RLXi. Had the Hammerhead motor, low hours, was very clean and a good lookin boat. For ski performance alone, it was amazing! If I had access to a private lake, I would still own that boat. The guy I sold it to 3 years ago just listed it for sale on ski-it-again so check it out!. He loved it as well but like me, he wants a more family friendly boat that can handle the water at larger lakes like Lake Powell. This is why I ended up with the '09 FXi. The slalom wake was still really good, but not quite as flat as the '06 LXi. The extra room, deeper hull, and ability to use the tower/ballast/powerwedge made the FXi the perfect boat for my family. Maybe I shouldn't have sold it, but we needed the money to finish our basement (and...keeping the black gelcoat clean was stressing me out. haha). I'm sure you already know, but the Response FXi is just a DD version of the Wakesetter VTX. I wish there were more options out there for DD crossover boats that are UWSA approved. Maybe I just need to keep looking for a 99-04 Sunsetter LXi, or go into debt for an 09-11 Response FXi. Glad I asked about the 05-06 SLXi though. Slalom Skiing will always be the #1 priority for me.