Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cracked Block - Dealers are just ignoring me ... WTF

sidekicknicholas

Not sure I agree -  true the only reason this became an issue was something went sideways while being winterized -- I did talk the guy who rebuilt it and he mentioned the port-side was full of "gunk", I'm wondering now if something had plugged the drain hole which made it look like the water had drained... impossible to know for sure, but might be a good scapegoat.... but my original stink was, and still is the incredible lack of communication.  This is what wasted my summer.  The drop off, repair, and putting the boat back together is going to end up taking about 10 business days total.  I blew almost 3x times that thinking one of the dealers would help me only to have them ignore me, followed up turning me away after my time was wasted.   I wouldn't be as upset if the conversation went:
Me: Hey, my engine is toast, please help
Dealer: Nah, its too old and we're busy, sorry
.... at least then I would have known to move on.  Instead I was sitting expecting parts to be getting ordered and the dealer to be scheduling the work.

Three initial responses I had were:

Thanks for the info, I will look into engine/block replacement options for you. 

Yours Truly,

DEALER 1

and

Hi Nicholas,

We have been swamped this week with the holiday weekend and the short week and we haven’t had a chance to look into a replacement long block to put together an estimate. As soon as I have some thing on the availability I will be in touch.

Thanks DEALER 2

and

I will do some checking to try and make an estimate the last 383 Hammer Head that came in we were going to have to send the motor out to be rebuilt and guessing the block may be cracked on yours, so i will call one of the Engine suppliers to try an get an idea of pricing this will probably take me a few days to get pricing together. 

- DEALER 3

.... all of these emails were followed by >1 month of radio silence despite weekly emails and calls from me checking on things.  Not one said anything about being too busy or not wanting the business right away, all inspired some sort of hope and then went quiet.  It seems like maybe I'm alone in thinking that isn't okay.... but I stand by that opinion.  I don't see how a dealer can be an authorized rep for a company, and just turn that product away after jerking around an owner for weeks.

Edited by sidekicknicholas

When you winterize always, repeat always, put a screwdriver or a piece of wire into the core/freeze plug to make sure you get all of the water.  It is very common for this port to be blocked by debris or parts of a worn impeller.

Check an engine shop or builder.  Look for a core swap depending on how handy you are or find an independent auto shop to due the work.  Make sure you swap the required marine parts.

I completely understand with your frustration with dealers, I have yet to find a shop that doesn't have communication problems.  It is a crazy busy time for them, no excuse but a fact.

Good luck.