Sign in to follow this  
SummerSunsetter

1989 Sunsetter Battery/Amp relocation?

SummerSunsetter

I am adding an amp, and a sub to my 1989 sun setter. I am going to add a battery for the increase in demand. My question is where is the best place for the new equip. The observer compartment doesn't have a whole lot of room. Can I have batteries under rear seat, and run cables to observer compartment or is that too long of a run?

Anyone have advice, or done this to this boat before?

jwl019

You would probably have to cut a hole in the floor for the batteries to fit under your seat unless you are using some low profile batteries.  The newer boats have the batteries and amps in the observer compartment.

Someone who relocated theirs on a similar boat will probably chime in and tell you what you need to do it.

Most place the sub under the helm.

Edited by jwl019
Add sub location

MadMan

An AGM battery, laying on it's side, may fit.

SummerSunsetter

I should be more clear of my question. Batteries fit behind rear seat. I would like to put a battery switch in a more accessible location, like behind observers seat. Is it too long of a run to run barely cables from rear seat to behind observers chair. Or, should I try to put everything behind the observers seat?

Nitrousbird

You can run however long you need it - may need to bump up the AWG to something bigger to manage the distance.  Not a big deal.  

My batteries are under the observer seat (AGM 34M's), motor is in the back of the boat.