Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2004 23 LSV V-Drive problem

Sixdoorsuperduty

Long time boater, first time caller. I am purchasing a 2004 Wakesetter 23 LSV tomorrow that is in immaculate condition, but is believed to have a blown v-drive. The boat is equipped with the 8.1L vortec and I will be the third owner. The original owner is reported to have replaced the transmission to an “upgraded” unit just prior to selling it around 300 hours. The owner I am purchasing it from (good friend) has used the boat flawlessly the past several years with no problem. Two trips ago he upgraded to an Acme 2419. Unfortunately on the second trip he suffered some sort of failure. He said “it felt like the prop fell off”. He didn’t report any sort of odd noises, loud bangs etc. He tried rengaging the transmission and it revved normally he said, but did not move, forward or backwards.

Currently if you grab the prop it will rotate approximately a quarter each way and then bind. I have inspected the coupler at the prop shaft and it is fine, all bolts in place. There does not appear to be any damage to the v-drive and nothing on the bellhousing to indicate a damper plate failure. Right now I suspect the u-joints in the Walter RV26D v-drive. Has anyone seen this failure before? Similar symptoms to other problems? His mechanic (good reputation locally) states he thinks the v-drive is “smoked”. The owner is keeping the 2419 prop and I have already ordered a 1615 as recommended by Acme for our plans with the boat. 

Any help, insight, opinions welcome. Thanks!

Almost forgot, boat just crossed 500 hours. Also, what site is everyone uploading photos to these days for posting here. 

1 hour ago, Sixdoorsuperduty said:

Almost forgot, boat just crossed 500 hours. Also, what site is everyone uploading photos to these days for posting here. 

Just become a Crew Supporter and pics are easy.

1 hour ago, minnmarker said:

Are you sure the throttle lever is engaging the transmission?

You would expect some noise or vibration if the V drive innards were busted up.

That is on my list of items to check on. I have done a brief visual inspection of the boat, but as I’m buying it with the mechanical repairs necessary, I haven’t done much digging into it. I’ve been friends with the owner (also co-worker Firefighter) so I have no reason to discount his account of the events around the failure.

I can definitely confirm that the prop will only rotate 1/4 of a turn (approx) each way before binding. I agree that my mechanical side tells me if the actual gears of the v-drive were compromised it should make horrible noises and probably bust the case. The u-joints were the only piece I could see allowing the engine/transmission side to turn quietly, while the prop side binds after 1/4 turn. I envision the u-joint coupler attached to the v-drive side dangling, rotating and then locking. And the engine transmission side is a clean break. Obviously won’t onow until I get it home and tear into it. Hoping I could have it back together by the end of the month...

1 hour ago, formulaben said:

Damper plate?

Definitely on my list of wonders and things to check. The only symptom that makes me lean away from damper plate is the report that the engine revs freely, but the prop definitely has a rotate and then bind condition. I would assume the prior owner replaced the damper plate when upgrading the transmission; I know I would have, but who knows for sure. Is there any sort of inspection cover on the bellhousing or someplace you can insert a camera scope to check the damper plate? Or is removal the only option for inspection?

Edited by Sixdoorsuperduty